Is Snapraid compatable with new BTRFS Snapshots?

• So I'm excited about BTRFS getting fully integrated into OMV, especially the recent addition of snapshot shares. Would there be any issues running Snapraid on the same drives, if I added exclusions for the ".snapshots" directory?

I know 3rd party tools like Snapper do some fancy integration with BTRFS, but I'm just trying to keep it simple and stick with OMV plugins. The old Snapraid docs mention not supporting multiple BTRFS snapshots, but I'd imagine this isn't what they had in mind.

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • votdev

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Well, I haven't had much luck so far. For some reason any directory created by the Shared Folders tab isn't scanned by Snapraid. Just gives

WARNING! Ignoring mount point '/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-example' because it appears to be in a different device

If I create the directory in advance using Samba or SFTP and then share that, Snapraid picks them up just fine. But when I do that, for some reason those folders always grey out the snapshot creation menu in Shared Folders. Reset Perms has no impact either way.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have never tested snapraid or resetperms against btrfs snapshots.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yeah I suppose it's all breaking new ground since there wasn't UI support for them before. Does anybody know why snapshots are greyed out on folders that were pre-created before being shared? I haven't been able to find any sign of mounts created by Shared Folders anywhere.

I have noticed that if you share the root of a drive (which obviously Share Folders couldn't create) that has snapshots available, and these don't piss off snapraid. Which is sort of a solution but I'd really like to figure out how to get more granular than that.

• I just came across this issue and my experience is:

The new Shared Folder option to create Snapshots breaks Snapraid, as Snapraid irgnores all BTRFS Subvolumes.

I think users should be made aware of this before upgrading OMV, as this might put their entire setup at risk and they wont even notice if they dont read the Snapraid log.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just came across this issue and my experience is:

The new Shared Folder option to create Snapshots breaks Snapraid, as Snapraid irgnores all BTRFS Subvolumes.

I think users should be made aware of this before upgrading OMV, as this might put their entire setup at risk and they wont even notice if they dont read the Snapraid log.

Old shared folders are still simple directories. New shared folders will be created as subvolumes on BTRFS file systems.

• and therefore new shared folders will not be backed up anymore I assume. So for anyone relying on Snapraid it's a major break.

. Worse it is not very visible what old and new shared folders are.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• that doesn't appear usable in practice. I think users should be made aware that they can no longer use Snapraid on OMV if they have any btrfs drives.

And legacy users need to somehow find a transition to ext4.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

that doesn't appear usable in practice. I think users should be made aware that they can no longer use Snapraid on OMV if they have any btrfs drives.

And legacy users need to somehow find a transition to ext4.

Snapraid is not supported or is a plugin of OMV, so i can only enhance the documentation and give users the information to decide how to handle that.

• I guess the issue is that Share Folders are just such a central component in OMV. They must be created for most plugins to even work (Rsync, SMB etc etc) so now literally all that data (which on most servers is probably the majority of all data is ignored by Snapraid.

Would it be possible to have an ON/OFF flag in the new Shared Folders to choose if they are created as a subvolume or as an old Shared Folder?

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess the issue is that Share Folders are just such a central component in OMV. They must be created for most plugins to even work (Rsync, SMB etc etc) so now literally all that data (which on most servers is probably the majority of all data is ignored by Snapraid.

Would it be possible to have an ON/OFF flag in the new Shared Folders to choose if they are created as a subvolume or as an old Shared Folder?

No, the snapshot feature of shared folders on BTRFS is a key feature of OMV now. The plan for OMV6 was to completely migrate to BTRFS file system ONLY. So this is already a compromise that other file systems are still supported.

But you can do a workaround. If the directory already exists, the shared folder creation mechanism does not create a new subvolume if you point to this directory in the shared folder creation dialog in the UI. The UI gives you more or less already that hint. This way you can create shared folders with classic directories on BTRFS file systems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess the issue is that Share Folders are just such a central component in OMV

sharedfolders aren't used by snapraid at all. btrfs already does much of what snapraid does. Why use both? https://www.snapraid.it/compare

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• sharedfolders aren't used by snapraid at all. b

Yes and that's not what I said.

Shared folders are used by almost every OMV Service (NFS, Samba, Rsync, Borg, Compose, MiniDNL and 100s more) . So turning Shared Folders into Subvolumes renders Snapraid completely unusable for OMV.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes and that's not what I said.

Shared folders are used by almost every OMV Service (NFS, Samba, Rsync, Borg, Compose, MiniDNL and 100s more) . So turning Shared Folders into Subvolumes renders Snapraid completely unusable for OMV.

I know you didn't say it. But since a subvolume is effectively a different filesystem or path, how would snapraid know about them when it configured to use filesystems/paths? btrfs and snapraid do very similar things and until the author of snapraid supports subvolumes, I don't know what you want done. Don't use one of them is all I can recommend.

• btrfs already does much of what snapraid does

They are completely different approaches to data integrity and actually they have little overlap.

For some reason (which I don't follow at all), BTRFS found many supporters here, despite all its downfalls. Of course it is entirely up to the OMV developers what they like to do and what not. I am really, really grateful for all the great (code) output and all the great discussion input here, but some of the arbitrary decisions just create massive problems for some of the most loyal supporters of OMV.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• I don't know what you want done.

I suggested that the "New" Shared Folders Plugin could get a flag "ON/OFF", depending on which the new Shared Folder is created as a Subvolume or as a "old style Shared Folder" . This would give all BTRFS fans their snapshots and all users of Snapraid their system stability and continuity.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

They are completely different approaches to data integrity and actually they have little overlap.

Strange the snapraid author chose to compare them. I get that snapraid is not a filesystem but the way they calculate parity and protect against bitrot is similar. Not sure what you are trying to gain by arguing about. Use something else if it doesn’t work for you.

arbitrary decisions just create massive problems for some of the most loyal supporters of OMV.

Choosing to support btrfs and snapshots will only add options. If you dont want to use it, how is causing massive problems? Can we just kill this discussion and you go back to using zfs since it is perfect for you.

• btrfs and snapshots will only add options

I am not against supporting btrfs. As I said thats up to you guys. But the way it was implemented removes options for people with legacy systems based on Snapraid.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• If you dont want to use it, how is causing massive problems? Can we just kill this discussion and you go back to using zfs since it is perfect for you.

It is causing problems for the servers based on Snapraid.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!