OMV5: Cannot find cause or resolve error: syslog kernel - EDAC pnd2: Failed to register device with error -22

• Hello everyone, I returned to my hometown where I have a small headless Intel NUC that runs OMV 5.6.26-1 (i.e. latest).

I performed a BIOS update to this NUC (model NUC6CAYH) and upon plugging it back to a monitor+keyboard, I saw an error that keeps repeating upon every boot, that I had not noticed before (4 entries in each boot, not anymore later):

I tried to find out on other Linux-related forums for information on identifying EDAC and pnd2 device, I only found out that EDAC stands for Error Detection And Correction (EDAC). Most people talk about ECC memory and of course, this Intel NUC does not have ECC memory inside (nor supporting it).

The Intel NUC Visual BIOS has no settings for memory, as perhaps on typical motherboards. And unfortunately, Intel does not allow rolling-back i.e. downgrade BIOS.

The advice to resolve this "EDAC pnd2 failed to register error -22" found was a) update BIOS first, then b) run a previous kernel. The output of my hardware configurations is the following:

My Intel NUC has 2x4GB Kingston memory modules (same mode each). Not sure why lsmem reports this as 2+6GB...

I could not find to what relates this pnd2 device, but if anyone from you has encountered this error and understands it or can confirm it's related to ECC memory checking, can you kindly help me fix this error?

Thank you all in advance.

OpenMediaVault 6.9.13-1 • Intel NUC NUC6CAYH • Intel Celeron J3455 • 2x4GB RAM • Samsung 870 QVO 4TB • USB Boot (System)

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Konsti () aus folgendem Grund: Updated information

• Hi ryecoaaron  macom have you gents come across in your experience with this error? Any understanding as to what could possibly be causing it? I'd be happy to provide any other log or info I can... thank you.

OpenMediaVault 6.9.13-1 • Intel NUC NUC6CAYH • Intel Celeron J3455 • 2x4GB RAM • Samsung 870 QVO 4TB • USB Boot (System)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your "error" isn't an OMV issue. It is a kernel issue. Don't know what kernel you are using and OMV 5.x is EOL.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you for your time ryecoaaron and your reply.

I am using the latest kernel available for OMV5.x and I understand it's EOL.

Thus, I will try upgrading to OMV6.x on this existing installation, via the guide(s) available in the forum, and will report back.

Many thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am using the latest kernel available for OMV5.x.

What is the latest kernel? That could be the regular Debian kernel, the backports Debian kernel, or the proxmox kernel. Using a newer kernel available in OMV 6 may fix your issue.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Apologies ryecoaaron you are right asking about the kernel flavour. Since I am not knowledgeable on Linux kernels, I use the vanilla one that came with the last OMV5.x update, namely kernel 5.10.0-0.deb10.16-amd64

I found this guide for in-place, on-device upgrade of OMV major version, so I will attempt this, this coming weekend. I assume now OMV6 is mature without the possible hiccups of the past for such an upgrade:

I am booting from USB whilst keeping the SSD inside the NUC for 1 single data partition, so what remains is to find a way to perfectly clone my USB installation, first :D

Thanks again for your replies!

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV6 is mature without the possible hiccups of the past for such an upgrade:

OMV6 matured more than a year ago ;)

Maybe it's even a bit late to upgrade smoothly, everyone did it long ago.

Remember to make a backup. Good luck!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you notice that the error is related to memory AND did you see the notable difference between memory modules in the output of

dmidecode ?

The first:
    Minimum Voltage: 44.975 V
    Maximum Voltage: 44.975 V

Configured Voltage: 1.5 V

The second:
    Minimum Voltage: 1.35 V
    Maximum Voltage: 1.5 V

Have you tried popping out one SODIMM at a time?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use the vanilla one that came with the last OMV5.x update, namely kernel 5.10.0-0.deb10.16-amd64

You must not have installed OMV using the ISO or you disabled backports.

I assume now OMV6 is mature without the possible hiccups of the past for such an upgrade:

The first release of OMV 6 was almost two years ago. I would say most hiccups that people are run into have threads about them on this forum. Not even windows can do upgrades without hiccups though. So, no one can guarantee that. I have done many of them without issues.

• Did you notice that the error is related to memory AND did you see the notable difference between memory modules in the output of

dmidecode ?
    Have you tried popping out one SODIMM at a time?

Wow! That totally escaped me. Where on earth is this coming from! I will try using one SO-DIMM at a time, this weekend. Thanks mate.

Could this be a stupid BIOS firmware bug (latest update) ? It is curious... I will see inside VISUAL BIOS what's been reported.

You must not have installed OMV using the ISO or you disabled backports.

The first release of OMV 6 was almost two years ago. I would say most hiccups that people are run into have threads about them on this forum. Not even windows can do upgrades without hiccups though. So, no one can guarantee that. I have done many of them without issues.

I most certainly created a USB installer from the original 5.x ISO from the repository. I remember because the installer could not detect the SATA controller at first, had to reboot many times + re-do the installation USB (via Rufus, I think, it's been 2 years) to be sure it had not failed.

With regard to "backports" I do not remember tampering with these except adding OMV-Extras like everyone else:

Why did you suspect the backports ryecoaaron ? I mean, was I supposed to get a newer kernel on OMV5.x ?

I am curious. Thanks, nevertheless.

From your post in another thread, I ran this command so nothing new exists, it seems:

Code
    $ apt-get -t buster-backports install linux-image-amd64

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    linux-image-amd64 is already the newest version (5.10.127-2~bpo10+1).
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 47 not upgraded.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why did you suspect the backports ryecoaaron ? I mean, was I supposed to get a newer kernel on OMV5.x ?

I keep forgetting that you are still on OMV 5.x.

• Give me time, you won't need to ever remember it, mate! (i.e. to remember that I was on OMV5)

UPDATE: OK ryecoaaron I launched sudo omv-release-upgrade process after the needed checks. All went smoothly. Rebooted, did omv-upgrade, rebooted, system is now at 6.3.10-2 (Shaitan) and vanilla kernel: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.6-amd64. P.S. I don't see any method to switch kernels like in OMV5's Web UI.

Rebooting now does show the same error, but only once:

I will check those SODIMMs like crashtest suggested. Just wanted to let you know of the results of my efforts. I understand it's a kernel issue not OMV6, so any advice or guidance, is welcome.

Cheers.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Konsti ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't see any method to switch kernels like in OMV5's Web UI.

I had to separate the kernel features of omv-extras into a separate plugin - openmediavault-kernel

I understand it's a kernel issue not OMV6, so any advice or guidance, is welcome.

Are these causing any problems or you just want to fix the message?

• I had to separate the kernel features of omv-extras into a separate plugin - openmediavault-kernel

Are these causing any problems or you just want to fix the message?

(thanks for the tip on the kernels plugin. Good idea to have it like that ; I know it's late to comment on it :D )

Ideally this error is not seemingly causing issues, the server boots OK, all services run OK via systemctl list-units --type=service --no-pager and systemctl list-units -all --state=failed

In my desire and process of learning and seeing/judging the criticality of errors (and now this one) I looked around and was hoping to understand its source. It can be ignored, I guess.

(don't go thinking this OMV installation is pushed hard, it's for home use with a handful of docker containers, like Syncthing, Homebridge etc.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

In my desire and process of learning and seeing/judging the criticality of errors (and now this one) I looked around and was hoping to understand its source. It can be ignored, I guess.

Something with your system and/or a bug in ECC detection on your board in the kernel is telling the kernel to try to enable ECC. Since your cpu doesn't support it, it "fails" and just falls back to using non-ECC. This is the correct behavior and should never be a problem. This change, while not accepted, would have change the issue to just an info message instead of error message. That tells me everything I need to know.
    https://lore.kernel.org/linux-….Shih@advantech.com.tw/T/

• Hi ryecoaaron and everyone, apologies for replying few days later, it's been a busy and away-from-keyboard days for me.

So tonight I opened up my NUC, removed one SO-DIMM, swapped the memory slots, swapped SO-DIMMs, set BIOS settings to "defaults" and the result remains the same:

a) In all cases and with 1 SO-DIMM installed, using dmidecode --type memory I get still (in either SO-DIMM slot!) the same voltage result:

Minimum Voltage: 44.975 V
    Maximum Voltage: 44.975 V

(interesting because the absence of the other module makes either one report 44V!)

Please note that my SO-DIMMs are identical Kingston HyperX IMPACT model HX318LS11IB/4 (1866 MHz, DDR3L, CL11, SODIMM 1.35V) at 1.35V and not 1.5V, as required by Intel for this NUC! In Intel Visual BIOS screen, no warning appears on the memory screen or tab.

b) In all cases, I get the "EDAC pnd2: Failed to register device with error -22" error

This error is registered once, per boot, it seems.

So my options are the following, as I can see it:

a) Not sure this is related to the actual physical SO-DIMM modules (i.e. they didn't get bad);

b) Perhaps the latest BIOS firmware update has an issue, I will open a ticket to Intel Support although I SERIOUSLY doubt they will accept there's a bug there (especially coz I am using Debian) let alone fix it, as this is an older model;

c) Configure the kernel, if possible, to not deal with ECC?

d) To live long and prosper, by ignoring this error (but learning more, is interesting)

ryecoaaron is it possible for e.g. grub to not take into consideration ECC?

(or is this a n00b question/mistake? Apologies, I am not too knowledgeable in such deeper Debian tweaks)

Also, the message reference you posted (in that URL) where this "pnd2 fail" text should be marked as INFO instead of ERROR, dates back from 2020 and not sure if it was implemented, eventually? (from the last reply in the mail thread, it's not clear as of the fate of this reported issue)... I assume OMV is dependent on these kernels, and doesn't build their own, yes?

I understand this is not related to OMV, so your time/insight spent on this, is welcome. At least this will be available for others to consult, if it arrives again.

Many thanks.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Konsti ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

d) To live long and prosper, by ignoring this error (but learning more, is interesting)

This is the proper option since you can't fix this.

is it possible for e.g. grub to not take into consideration ECC?

This isn't a grub problem. I don't think you can disable ECC as a kernel param.

Also, the message reference you posted (in that URL) where this "pnd2 fail" text should be marked as INFO instead of ERROR, dates back from 2020 and not sure if it was implemented, eventually? (from the last reply in the mail thread, it's not clear as of the fate of this reported issue)... I assume OMV is dependent on these kernels, and doesn't build their own, yes?

It wasn't accepted into the kernel for some unknown reason. OMV does not build kernels. OMV is Debian and uses Debian kernels and packages. And this is not worth building a custom kernel for.

• Thank you ryecoaaron for your time, it's appreciated as I ended up learning a few things, so greater good achieved :)

If there is any development for any reason, I may come back and post here. Cheers.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One last thing:

For the OS to detect an ECC related error AND detect an erroneous minimum / maximum voltage (both ram related), their may be something going on with hardware. To rule out software, I'd consider booting onto a live distro, a different install with a different kernel, and run dmidecode again just to see the result.

The reasoning is, if you have something going on with ram or the mobo, there's the potential to silently corrupt files. At a minimum, I'd run several passes with memtest86.

• So much for "help"...

No Linux is found under my NUC6CAYH model. Not sure why they don't even support or test even 1 distro...

I will run memtext86 and hope all goes well. Thanks crashtest

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!