NAS backup strategy

• Hello all,

I've recently purchased a USB HDD to backup my 8 TB NAS. My goal is to configure it such that it meets following objectives:

1. "offline" backup to protect my data against rensomware incase my NAS gets locked out (hence usb HDD instead of another NAS for backup)

2. Encryption - The data on HDD should also be password protected.

3. Reliable Storage - The data transfer and storage should be error free.

Based on my research so far, OMV offers 3 backup options i.e.

1. USB backup plugin,

2. rsync

3. borg

If anyone has experience of using any of these options, may I ask them to share their concerns/issues they've encountered so I can plan my backup strategy taking into consideration all those factors ?

Thanks,

• I would like to add a fourth option: Rsnapshots. The big advantage is the Rsnapshot provides versioned backups!

Hmmm. this is interesting.

I wasn't aware of snapshot option but after doing a bit of research online it is my understanding that snapshots cannot recover my data if the master copy (aka NAS data) gets completely corrupted ?

If this is true than I can probably use this option for creating "intermediate" backups once a week but i think its still prudent to have a full data backup done on a monthly basis.

Thanks for the suggestion though. while it has made my backup plan a bit more complicated, i think this will be a much better way to manage things.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The advantage of "snapshots" is that they don't take up much space. Borg does this by deduping and compressing.

I wasn't aware of snapshot option but after doing a bit of research online it is my understanding that snapshots cannot recover my data if the master copy (aka NAS data) gets completely corrupted ?

The snapshot that rsnapshot creates is not really a snapshot. It creates a hard link to the source file if they are the same. If your master copy got corrupted, the next rsnapshot run would create new files since they would not be the same. This is good because it protects you from accidental deletes and ransomware. It could be bad because you could fill the filesystem.

rsnapshot and borg both work well but I think borg is better (does bitrot detection) and saves more space.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The advantage of "snapshots" is that they don't take up much space. Borg does this by deduping and compressing.

The snapshot that rsnapshot creates is not really a snapshot. It creates a hard link to the source file if they are the same. If your master copy got corrupted, the next rsnapshot run would create new files since they would not be the same. This is good because it protects you from accidental deletes and ransomware. It could be bad because you could fill the filesystem.

rsnapshot and borg both work well but I think borg is better (does bitrot detection) and saves more space.

Borg seems to be the flavor of the day with most articles I've read today seems to be suggesting this option.

While I am learning about this plugin from various sources and creating my backup strategy, do you think this is stable enough to backup critical data of a small/mid-size business? Any pitfall that a new users should be aware of?

• Offizieller Beitrag

do you think this is stable enough to backup critical data of a small/mid-size business?

Yes and I do use it for critical data for a small business.

Any pitfall that a new users should be aware of?

I would familiarize yourself with the restore procedure long before you need it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!