How do I resize a backup image created with dd option using backup plugin?

• Hi, I have my backup (created using dd) of OMV 6 running on raspberry pi 4 with 32GB SD card. I tried to restore the backup on a 64GB SD card using USBImager, it was successful and the system booted up to the exact state but the new SD card shows only 32GB as maximum drive size on the “file systems” page. Is there a workaround to this problem to restore ISO to different sized SD Card and not lose any space? If not, what are my options to backup and restore to different sized SD cards without losing space in the future?

• Hi, I have my backup (created using dd) of OMV 6 running on raspberry pi 4 with 32GB SD card. I tried to restore the backup on a 64GB SD card using USBImager, it was successful and the system booted up to the exact state but the new SD card shows only 32GB as maximum drive size on the “file systems” page. Is there a workaround to this problem to restore ISO to different sized SD Card and not lose any space? If not, what are my options to backup and restore to different sized SD cards without losing space in the future?

When restoring a dd image, the result on the destination drive will be identical to the source drive. That is to say all partitions and filesystems will be the same size as on the source drive.

You will need to do two things to the drive you restored the image to to get the full size:

Expand the partition to use the full disk, then expand the filesystem to use the whole partition. I don't know if OMV has GUI tools to do this, I just do it by hand using parted and resize2fs from the CLI.

This can be complicated if there is more than one partition on the drive, such as the primary partition and a swap partition. This case will require moving the swap partition to the end of the drive and then expanding the primary partition and filesystem. If you can use Gparted this will be fairly easy. I don't run a swap partition on the OS drive so I get to do it the easy way as described above.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

what are my options to backup and restore to different sized SD cards without losing space in the future?

fsarchiver allows you to restore regardless of the size of the destination disk. [How-To] Restore OMV system backup made with openmediavault-backup plugin

If you can use Gparted this will be fairly easy

gparted can be installed from the openmediavault-kernel plugin. But only on systems that support this plugin. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…=omv6:omv6_plugins:kernel

• asish

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!