[SOLVED]: Security breach and next steps

• Good afternoon,

This morning I woke up to 3 notifications that my user account was used to log into my OMV instance from a user-agent called "python-requests/2.31.0". This seemed very suspicious to me, and after changing my password I'm getting a lot of failed login attempt notifications.

I'm no security expert and this has me really freaking out right now. I could use some practical tips on running any sort of diagnostics to figure out how and why this is happening. Do I need to be concern also for my local network in general?

Grateful for any advice. Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This morning I woke up to 3 notifications that my user account was used to log into my OMV instance from a user-agent called "python-requests/2.31.0". This seemed very suspicious to me, and after changing my password I'm getting a lot of failed login attempt notifications.

Apparently someone is trying to log in. So the first thing I would do is close any router ports that you may have open. This way no one should be able to access the server.

If you are still getting attempts it would be because they are coming from your LAN, someone could have hacked your wifi for example.

The next thing would be to try to find out where the gap is.

Have you exposed the OMV interface to the internet? What services do you have exposed to the internet? What are the open ports on the router and for what purpose?

• zeitchef

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Security breach and next steps“ zu „[SOLVED]: Security breach and next steps“ geändert.
  • Problem solved. After thoroughly checking the logs, I isolated the IP address to my Home Assistant instance which was trying to log in to authenticate the OMV plugin. I'm going to disable it and monitor the login attempts.

I don't forward any ports and use Tailscale to access the machine remotely.

• chente

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • chente

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!