Dual USB backup

• Hello friends,

many years ago I bought a Synology NAS, it worked a couple of years, then I lost every data inside. Then bought a Qnap that again stopped working after a couple of years and I got mad for retrieving the raid content. As well a small, nice Datatale with two raid 2.5" drives stopped working and lost everything. Tried an open source Turris Omnia router with external drive and it stopped working after two months.

So generally a lot of effort and time for no data security whatsoever.

Also very simple USB external drives are very unreliable and it seems SSD are even worse than old mechanical ones.

So what?

Obviously simple is safer than complex. What about a small USB device (let's call it Distributor) that can be recognized as a drive itself and that has two USB ports to automatically copy all the content it receives to both two external USB drives. So the Linux computer that sends the backup sees a single USB drive (the Distributor) and does not require complex software to send the backup to two drives. In case the Distributor breaks after two years or less, it is enough to change it with another one.

I could not find such a Distributor on sale, maybe you know better. But if really it does not exist, may your software be able to arrange one installing it on some small reliable device?

In case this is impossible, what other solution do you suggest?

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

it seems SSD are even worse than old mechanical ones.

You must be buying the wrong brand. I've never had an SSD fail at home. SD cards, yes.

What about a small USB device (let's call it Distributor) that can be recognized as a drive itself and that has two USB ports to automatically copy all the content it receives to both two external USB drives. So the Linux computer that sends the backup sees a single drive (the Distributor) and does not require complex software to send the backup to two drives. In case the Distributor breaks after two years or less, it is enough to change it with another one.

This is hardware raid.

In case this is impossible, what other solution do you suggest?

You are over thinking this. Just add two disks to an OMV box and setup an hourly rsync from one drive to the other. The chances of you change content in that hour and having a drive fail are very little.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You must be buying the wrong brand. I've never had an SSD fail at home. SD cards, yes.

it seems SSD are even worse than old mechanical ones.

I agree what drives are you buying? Ive never had a SSD die yet 100s of mechanical ones over the years.

Dell 3050 Micro, i5-6500T, 8GB Ram

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 512gb SSD Boot, 128gb USB Pen Backup, 1tb nvme Data, 16TB (8tbx 2 merg) Media,

Docker - dozzle, netdata, nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• You are over thinking this. Just add two disks to an OMV box and setup an hourly rsync from one drive to the other. The chances of you change content in that hour and having a drive fail are very little.

Many thanks for your attention indeed.

So which is the smaller and most reliable OMV box you may suggest?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So which is the smaller and most reliable OMV box you may suggest?

An RPi, odroid-hc4, or Intel NUC are very reliable.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.1

• I think you may want something like this: RE: My Rpi4 NAS build w/rclone

At first it was my only NAS. I had one drive as my NAS storage (no RAID), and using the rsync command, I copied one drive to the other, every few minutes as a backup. I also then copied the backup drive to the cloud using Rclone. Easy way to have 3 total copies, 2 on site, and one offsite (aka, 3,2,1)

Now that I have a synology as my production NAS, I am using this device to be an rsync server for Synology. Using Synology Hyperbackup, I backup to this Raspberry Pi device once a day. Raspberry Pi continues as before making a copy and sending an additional copy to the cloud.

I guess the moral of the story is that RAID is not backup. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

• An RPi, odroid-hc4, or Intel NUC are very reliable.

I had a look at the three. But I need to send the file to be backed up by USB are they must be able to receive it this way, and not by network (for security)?

Even if this may work RPi4 has only 2 USB3 ports, so it can connect the two drives, but lacks a port to connect with the computer sending the backup.

Also odroid-hc4 lacks a USB3 port for the same use.

Intel NUC seems to have all required USB ports and also seems stronger, being able to use a SSD rather than a SD card for the OS. So it looks as the only way to go.

But do you feel I'll be able to keep it without network, sending backups by USB to one disk and then rsync to the other disk and possibly give some sort of alarm if something goes wrong.

Is there a tutorial to do something like that?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a tutorial to do something like that?

You keep saying without network but OMV is a NAS -> Network Attached Storage. If you just want files copied to two usb devices, use rsync or some copy tool on the system you are connecting the usb devices to. You don't need OMV for that.

• Hi Francus,

My own approach has been to build two identical Raspberry Pi OMV servers and use rsync to back up the file shares. It is redundant and configured on a rolling back up every seven days per file share. So the maximum data loss potential is one week or everything in the event of a catastrophic failure of both servers at the same time.

Another approach could be to hook up two large data drives to a single OMV server and use one as a primary and the other as a backup. Rsync could be configured to copy over the file shares on a rolling schedule.

I had to learn a lot about OMV to set this all up, but there are videos online that explain how OMV works and what to do to config it. Rsync is set up on both servers, and then on the copy server (backup), I initiate the rsync jobs to fetch the copies. Automating this process to run weekly and be bullet proof is one of the reasons I joined the forums. The two servers have very large data repositories, you can buy enclosures and hook up whatever size drive will fit in the enclosure.

I enjoy my budget NAS, love how much I have learned and hope for your problem to be solved.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The two servers have very large data repositories, you can buy enclosures and hook up whatever size drive will fit in the enclosure.

Some users here had issues with USB enclosures on RPi. Maybe you can post what you use as reference for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!