Docker not working after OMV upgrade

• I upgraded to latest OMV and then had to key in my customised docker folder inside the compose Plugin.

Usually a docker restart works but OMV does not like the docker folder.

I end up with this error and systemctl status docker.service does not give any more insight.

Any ideas?

• some additional info:

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• anyone any ideas? This is the tail of the OMV error message; full message attached.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you change the dockerStorage path?

What is the output of: sudo journalctl -u docker

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Last few lines from journalctl -u docker below.

Full output is attached.

Code
    Aug 01 10:17:17 raspberrypi systemd[1]: docker.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Aug 01 10:17:17 raspberrypi systemd[1]: docker.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Aug 01 10:17:17 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Docker Application Container Engine.
    Aug 01 10:17:20 raspberrypi systemd[1]: docker.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 2.
    Aug 01 10:17:20 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopped Docker Application Container Engine.
    Aug 01 10:17:20 raspberrypi systemd[1]: docker.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
    Aug 01 10:17:20 raspberrypi systemd[1]: docker.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Aug 01 10:17:20 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Docker Application Container Engine.
  • I think the journalctl entries are from a time when the Docker path was still on default and not changed.

After I realised that the compose Plugin had reset the docker path during the upgrade, I tried to save the new path but OMV will not let me.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• The OMV error output is attached and output of systemctl status docker.service shows:

• Offizieller Beitrag

What path did you set docker storage to? And what filesystem is that path?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did it work on btrfs previously? If you aren't using any named volumes, you could try using /srv/Pool2/Docker2 to see if it works. That would just mean docker would have to download images again.

• It worked fine for the last 6 months, all on btrfs.

I dont know why we had to create all this new compose stuff. Why change everything if its not broken.

Now, nothing on my RPI servers works. All containers down.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

I dont know why we had to create all this new compose stuff. Why change everything if its not broken.

Guess what? The way docker is installed is exactly the same. It just happens in a different plugin. And docker-compose doesn't do anything with the docker service. Why change? Continuous improvement. Are you still using Windows XP??? People telling how dumb this change is really makes me want to help them... You ever think it was caused by the move from Debian buster to bullseye?

Now, nothing on my RPI servers works. All containers down.

If the docker service doesn't start, then containers won't work.

This will be the last suggestion I have because the guy that made the horrible change probably can't help you.

1. Make sure the docker repo is enabled in omv-extras
    2. run: sudo omv-aptclean repos
    3. Run: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    4. Reboot
    5. run: sudo omv-salt deploy run compose

• Continuous improvement

Thats great but then it would be good to do some testing prior to releasing "improvements". We used to have a stable OMV and now its not and unfortunately there is no way to roll back.

As a workaround for others who might encounter this issue:

Downgrade docker:

Code
    sudo apt install docker-ce-cli=5:20.10.23~3-0~debian-bullseye 
    sudo apt install docker-ce=5:20.10.23~3-0~debian-bullseye 
    sudo service docker restart

After that, OMV allows to save the settings without error.

You might need to spend a few hours restoring your containers and not all of them will work 100% (e.g. Nginx and Dozzle throw errors). Of course its no solution but at least containers are up.

Are you still using Windows XP???

Well, Compose reminds me a lot of Windows XP. Have you tried Portainer? Its much more user friendly, quicker and stable....

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

No one is stopping you from continuing to use Portainer. Install it and go.

• /srv/Pool2/Docker

Its a BTRFS fileystem

Is that path, your docker root?

If yes, you found your problem. Neither docker root nor container configs should be on a merged FS.

EVER.

As for it beeing BTRFS, I only have that FS (except OS) and never had an issue). Heck, even the DATA folder of NC is on a RAID1.

If I recall well, you always had issues with you RPi, but always assumed it was the software developer's error.

Have you considered that you might be doing something in a wrong way?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thats great but then it would be good to do some testing prior to releasing "improvements". We used to have a stable OMV and now its not and unfortunately there is no way to roll back.

You do realize this plugin has been around for 15 months and hundreds of people are using it now including myself? Do you honestly think I haven't spent dozens of hours on it?

How did this affect the stability of OMV? docker is not OMV.

As a workaround for others who might encounter this issue:

Downgrade docker:

If that was the solution on your system, you would've hit this issue even if I never changed anything. Where was your backup to rollback to OMV 5? But thanks for blaming me.

You might need to spend a few hours restoring your containers and not all of them will work 100% (e.g. Nginx and Dozzle throw errors). Of course its no solution but at least containers are up.

How is this my fault? I need a technical reason. If something inside docker doesn't work, it isn't because of any plugin.

Well, Compose reminds me a lot of Windows XP. Have you tried Portainer? Its much more user friendly, quicker and stable....

Nice feedback. Did you see my 2.5 min video on how to keep using portainer? Portainer isn't limited by the OMV framework. Portainer isn't friendlier. It is just what you are used to. The plugin is stable. Upgrades from 5 to 6 might have issues but there is a major OS upgrade, major OMV upgrade, and plugin upgrade involved in that. I would love to see you make it better.

As for having tried portainer, how could I not since I am the one who made omv-extras start installing it in the first place. I am the one who defended portainer when I didn't port the docker-gui plugin to OMV 5.x. You damn well know I know plenty about portainer. Just because I don't use it myself doesn't mean I didn't test it hundreds of times maintaining the portainer install in omv-extras.

I get it you are mad but out of all the times I have helped you on this forum, for you to act like this to me and my work, it is very disappointing.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Ryecoaaron you are a legend and I appreciate everything you have done for OMV and for the big help you have giving me on the forums <3 much love!

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 1tb nvme Data, 2TB nvme Leeching, 24TB (8tbx 3 merg) Media,

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• No one is stopping you from continuing to use Portainer. Install it and go.

I would but it does not work. After the upgrade docker doesnt work and Portainer is just a docker container. Since docker no work -> all containers no work -> portainer no work

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• If yes, you found your problem. Neither docker root nor container configs should be on a merged FS.

EVER.

That is not the issue. Docker worked perfectly fine on mergerfs (for last 4 years). I have also confirmed with the author of mergerfs that there is no issue with docker.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!