OMV6 SMB share not showing up on Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.2

• Problem: I can't see the OMV6 SMB shared folders from my Mint Cinnamon 21.2 workstation. However, I have no problems with seeing and mapping to those shared folders from my windows 10 workstations. I'm sorry if this has been addressed already in another thread.

Setup:

• OMV6 has a plex server running on it
    • OMV6 has latest updates. No customization. All defaults
    • System information is attached as a pic
    • No other issues as of yet. Plex, NAS, and all other services appear stable and working well
    • One workstation is Windows 10 fully patched
    • Other workstation is laptop with new Mint Cinnamon 21.2 OS installed with defaults and fully patched

Troubleshooting:

I noticed that when I enable or disable Wins services in the OMV6 SMB settings, the shared folders will instantly pop-up on my Mint Cinnamon workstation. It appears to be an SMB advertising setting or something like that. I also reloaded Mint and used all defaults and got the same troubleshooting results. On as side note, SMB appears to be slow on Mint but not on Windows 10.

Request:

Please help me solve this problem.

Thanks ahead of time.

Regards,

Rob

• Just an idea nothing to do with SMB but Is there any reason why you are not using NFS for sharing to the Linux systems.

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 1tb nvme Data, 2TB nvme Leeching, 24TB (8tbx 3 merg) Media,

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Just an idea nothing to do with SMB but Is there any reason why you are not using NFS for sharing to the Linux systems.

Darn good question. Let me ask you this, is it a better solution to use for sharing compared to SMB? If memory serves me, I will have to add that service to my windows 10 workstation, yes? And how do I handle that on my Mint workstation?

I was thinking about NFS but I have never used it on linux and/or windows. But I'm willing to.

• Darn good question. Let me ask you this, is it a better solution to use for sharing compared to SMB? If memory serves me, I will have to add that service to my windows 10 workstation, yes? And how do I handle that on my Mint workstation?

I was thinking about NFS but I have never used it on linux and/or windows. But I'm willing to.

why not use both SMB for windows and NFS for linux systems.

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• why not use both SMB for windows and NFS for linux systems.

Well, one thing at a time for me. First, I want to get SMB working across all of my workstations: windows 10 and Mint. Mint is the problem right now. I've seen a lot of threads on this but it would be nice to get a solution in plan language for a newbie like me. My goal is to dump all of my windows workstations except the one I need for work which is required by corporate policy to work remote. So far, its going relatively well on the server side. Plex is working great along with its HW acceleration. That is exactly what I had working on my windows server. Now I need to make SMB rock solid across all of my workstations so that my family can easily log onto a linux workstation and just start using it. Basically I need to wean off windows products ASAP.

• Now I need to make SMB rock solid across all of my workstations so that my family can easily log onto a linux workstation and just start using it. Basically I need to wean off windows products ASAP.

I don't have a linux desktop so I have no imput on that sorry

So far, its going relatively well on the server side. Plex is working great along with its HW acceleration. That is exactly what I had working on my windows server.

Are you running this in docker than ? now you have got rid of the windows workstation.

• I don't have a linux desktop so I have no imput on that sorry

Are you running this in docker than ? now you have got rid of the windows workstation.

Yes. But docker and associated services are installed differently as of OMV6, if memory serves. When you install the OMV-extras, it will automatically add "docker Repo" option. You will have to check the box and save to enable it. Also, you will need to then install the compose package. There you will create different services like Plex server. Sample code is available for Plex and other great server services. I love how they got this setup. The documentation isn't bad either once you know where to find it. So far, there isn't a lot of youtube DIY vids on how to use compose to install Plex, jellyfin, and many other server services.

• Yes. But docker and associated services are installed differently as of OMV6, if memory serves. When you install the OMV-extras, it will automatically add "docker Repo" option. You will have to check the box and save to enable it. Also, you will need to then install the compose package. There you will create different services like Plex server. Sample code is available for Plex and other great server services. I love how they got this setup. The documentation isn't bad either once you know where to find it. So far, there isn't a lot of youtube DIY vids on how to use compose to install Plex, jellyfin, and many other server services.

Yup ryecoaaron has done a fab job with docker!

• Official Post

Problem: I can't see the OMV6 SMB shared folders from my Mint Cinnamon 21.2 workstation

Did you try to access them with the IP instead of the domain name of the server?

• Official Post

How do you do that from Linux Mint? As noted, Windows 10 is working fine.

No idea, I've never used Mint. I'm sorry.

I said that because many times the problem is that the client does not "see" the resources with the domain but they do see them with the IP.

• How do you do that from Linux Mint? As noted, Windows 10 is working fine.

example

my server ip is 10.0.0.222 but the name is OMV

on windows when I map a drive I would add //10.0.0.222/Media not //OMV/Media. I imagine linux is the same.

• No idea, I've never used Mint. I'm sorry.

I said that because many times the problem is that the client does not "see" the resources with the domain but they do see them with the IP.

Yep, I got what you were saying. Indeed that can be true with SMB issues between its shared folders and Windows. But in my cause on another thread, my issues with windows discovering SMB shared folders on OMV6 was resolved. Now I have to solve it for linux in my case Mint 21.2. I have a feeling it is a version difference and/or polling service issue. If so, I'm also assuming there are SMB "extra options" settings I can add to solve this for me. Since, I don't know, I'm here to see if the forum experts can help out.

• Official Post

Research on netbios. It's deprecated for security and on OMV it's disabled, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mint needs it maybe.

• Research on netbios. It's deprecated for security and on OMV it's disabled, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mint needs it maybe.

Great suggestion but as noted in my original post (easy to miss), I didn't have success when I enable and disable WINS on OMV6. But whenever I saved the change regardless of enable and disabling wins, the shared folders would instantly pop up on my mint workstation. But it would revert back to not being able to see the shares after I reboot the system. That's why my sneaky suspension is its an SMB version and/or a polling issue for MInt. It certainly works great with my windows 10 workstations and plex clients on all my TVs, media centers like roku, and mobile devices.

• Official Post

Problem: I can't see the OMV6 SMB shared folders from my Mint Cinnamon 21.2 workstation. However, I have no problems with seeing and mapping to those shared folders from my windows 10 workstations

I think this may interest you. Just try setting a folder with a lowercase name and see if that works.

• acuity2009

Added the Label resolved

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!