backup with restic - fails to restore

• I am trying to figure out my best option for "really" backing up my NAS ...

Setup: (omv6 - updated to current release)

- 3 data drives in a mergerFS pool (with several shared folders)

- 1 Snapraid parity drive

- (my other infrastructure is Windows 10)

Initially I thought about using rsync to replicate all shared folders onto a large drive in another Win desktop ... but after some research, I realize rsync isn't the best solution for backup as issues get updated with no way of reverting to an older point. So it would be okay to have a "current copy" in case of a HDD failure (but that I already have snapraid for), but not for a corruption or virus (ransomware, etc.)

Then I thought restic would be the way to go (still believe it's the way to go) ... but I ran into a snag: I got restic from GitHub and use it on the client side (Win 10 PC). It creates the backup (snapshots) just fine, but when I try to restore it - either locally (on a Win 10 machine) or back onto the NAS (any shared folder) - I run into:

Code
    (...)
    ignoring error for \: invalid child node name \\MICROSERVER\pictures
    ignoring error for \: invalid child node name \\MICROSERVER\pictures
    Summary: Restored 0 Files (0 B) in 0:00
    Fatal: There were 2 errors
    • What am I doing wrong ...?
    • How are others using restic ...?
    • Should I abandon restic altogether ...?
    • How (exactly) do you manage to do a decent backup on a Win10 infrastructure ...?
    • ...?

(for the record, I know this is no where close to 3-2-1 yet ... but I got to start somewhere ...)

• You need first mount samba share in Windows to drive letter then you can use restic to restore to that letter.

In command line in windows use

net use Z: \\Ip.Adress.Of.OMV\ShareName

• You need to expand

Code
    (...)

to provide a clue as to what is causing the error.

I follow the restic forum and I don't think you have posted there. There are a number of windows users there who use restic (I don't use windows but I do use restic). It really is a more appropriate place to ask this question.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!