Problem with wiping and formatting hdd

• Hello, I am trying since yesterday to wipe my external 2tb hdd (usb) and create a file system on it. OMV is running on a Raspberry Pi 4b. The hard drive is totally new and there are no smart errors. I also used an identical hdd and did a full new setup of omv. When I try to wipe the hdd in quick mode on omv, I get the error:

I tried to use fdisk and gdisk to create a new gpt partition table and a new partition, but still the same error. How can GPT data structures be destroyed and why may the partition table be garbage when I have created it manually?

I have the option to crerate a file system, but after the process there is no file system in the list.

Is it possible that the hdd is not compatible with omv?

Thanks in advance!

• votdev

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

partition table may be garbage

I've seen the same thing several times on the forum with no solution. I have a hard drive that has had the same problem for a long time, I have not been able to resolve it. If you search on Google for the text "partition table may be garbage" you will find threads with the same error without a solution on other operating systems. It's not an OMV problem.

I have no idea how to solve it but if you manage to solve it it would be useful if you reported here.

Just to keep you calm, I've been using that hard drive without problems for a year now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I try to wipe the hdd in quick mode on omv, I get the error:

Try secure, takes longer but might solve the problem, the only other option is dban, something I have used in the past, but takes a long time and is not for the faint hearted

If you're connecting to a Pi is the HDD in an enclosure/external drive, if so these are usually formatted to NTFS and some have hidden partition/s on them as well as software related to the manufacturer

• Offizieller Beitrag

if so these are usually formatted to NTFS

So the fact that I had this disk formatted in NTFS with Windows could be the cause? I had this drive for a while on Windows this way. I never found this explanation in any of the searches I did on Google.

In my case it is a 12TB Toshiba N300 drive, it does not come from an external USB enclosure.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So the fact that I had this disk formatted in NTFS with Windows could be the cause

Possibly, that's why if a quick wipe fails try secure, that should resolve it, if not then I would use dban, I've had a copy of dban for eons simply because I would have an issue with one of my drives in the nas software I was using. It would work ok for a few months then 'drop off' for what appeared to be no reason, using a wipe, gparted, tried everything until I hooked it up to an old machine and ran dban on it, took nearly 12 hours and that was a small drive back then, but it worked. No idea how or why.

Many, many moons ago you could do a low level format on a drive via the bios, but even that seems to have disappeared, that used to resolve HD issues, with technology changing there's usually no need to use the 'old ways' to resolve things.

• I would mount the drive on a machine or partition running something like partedmagic and see if gparted can solve your problems

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm a bit scared to start trying procedures on this disk without being sure of the outcome. He is only 3 years old. It's a 12TB drive (very expensive). And despite everything it is working fine.

• In my case it is a 12TB Toshiba N300 drive, it does not come from an external USB enclosure.

TL:DR;

How is it connected? SATA? USB adapter?

If you can lose all info on it, use fdisk on a Linux host to create a new partition table and Partition.

I had an issue on OMV (5 at that time) with my 16Tb EXOS when I bought it: it would give errors on the GUI while trying to create a FS. (a thread should exist somewhere on the forum)

Went on CLI, with fdisk and made a new GPT partition table, new partition.

Formatted it via mkfs also on CLI.

After that, I managed to mount it via OMV GUI without any error.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How is it connected? SATA? USB adapter?

I have it on a backup server that connects from time to time (SATA). I use it to make backups.

Went on CLI, with fdisk and made a new GPT partition table, new partition.

Formatted it via mkfs also on CLI.

I think I tried that a while ago and it didn't work, but I couldn't say for sure. If I dare, I'll try it again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!