Want to migrate to a larger SSD, question before proceeding

• Hello,

I've a 256GB ssd that for some strange reason it's always full, I've just opened another thread and never found the reason where the space went... beign now 512GB ssd cheap, I ordered a 1TB disk and wanted to move my current OMV installation to this larger drive.

I've a HdClone personal license which I normally use to clone windows drives. Can i use this to clone the OMV as well? how do I enlaarge the free space on main partition then?

I've read that some ppl use USB stick, but doesn't risk to burn it in a short period?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've a 256GB ssd that for some strange reason it's always full, I've just opened another thread and never found the reason where the space went...

It would be advisable to find out what the problem is or it could be reproduced.

I've a HdClone personal license which I normally use to clone windows drives. Can i use this to clone the OMV as well? how do I enlaarge the free space on main partition then?

Depending on your configuration and what you have installed on the host you can use omv-regen for this, read the terms of use.

I suppose you can also do it with HDClone but then you will have to extend the partition. This usually causes problems. This is usually done with gparted.

I've read that some ppl use USB stick, but doesn't risk to burn it in a short period?

No problem, openmediavault-flashmemory protects flash drives from premature wear. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…:omv6_plugins:flashmemory

• chente here's my previous post on the space usage... I'm able to fix it, it would even be better... the main issue is that I've not been able to find the cause of usage..

• Offizieller Beitrag

here's my previous post on the space usage... I'm able to fix it, it would even be better... the main issue is that I've not been able to find the cause of usage..

Then I wouldn't do any rootfs disk changes, the real problem is the one you need to solve. The only thing you will achieve by changing the disk for one with a larger capacity is to end up filling it too and you will continue with the same problem.

From what I can see in that thread, the main problem is a container that you don't know what it is and that is filling the disk. So the first question is to find out what that container is and the reason why it fills the disk. In the plugin you can see the ID of the containers in the Services>Compose>Containers tab (opens the column if it is closed).

Once identified, you can think about whether it is normal for it to fill the disk, knowing what that container does.

As for having docker installed in rootfs, it is a common mistake. All you have to do is define a path to another folder to install docker. You can do this in the plugin in Services>Compose>Settings. In the Docker Storage field. Then press the lower Save button and that's it. If necessary you can press the Reinstall Docker button, although I think it should not be necessary.

• chente here's my previous post on the space usage... I'm able to fix it, it would even be better... the main issue is that I've not been able to find the cause of usage..

Just as a verification; can you check that in "Services/Compose/Containers" under "image" you have a ":latest" specified.

Here is sample of mine "ghcr.io/linuxserver/mariadb:latest". If you do not have it then OMV will me downloading new images without removing old ones, which will fill-up your disk. You can also check images in "Services/Compose/Images.

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• no absolutely not... and I've trobules understanding if it's a container issue or what...

Let's have a recap

Here's the df -h

The /dev/sdd2 is this disk and I think the whole system is mounted on this as I can read from /cat/proc/mount

`

During my tempative to free space, I moved the images to the /raid-share as you can see from the docker daemon file

Code
    {
    "data-root": "/raid-share/docker-containers"
    }

The problem is that I'm not able to find which file is getting the most of space

Any suggestion? if I still have containers or layers on / I can remove them since they have been moved to the RAID-5

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm using portainer, can I look from it?

I guess so, but I don't know how.

• I'm not sure the issue is with container, I deleted the whole folder on / and it still works, I've tried your suggestion of using omv-regen but I got this

I dont- really understand how to free some space... in order to be able to update, since I-ve read that omv version must match.

Can you please help me on this?

• Here's the docker ps-a

Code
    CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                                    COMMAND                  CREATED         STATUS      PORTS                                                                                                                             NAMES
    48e5036c816a   jaymoulin/jdownloader:latest             "/opt/JDownloader/da…"   2 days ago      Up 2 days   0.0.0.0:3129->3129/tcp, :::3129->3129/tcp                                                                                         jdownloader
    3bed3a83a1d5   lscr.io/linuxserver/qbittorrent:latest   "/init"                  2 weeks ago     Up 3 days   0.0.0.0:6881->6881/tcp, :::6881->6881/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8080->8080/tcp, 0.0.0.0:6881->6881/udp, :::8080->8080/tcp, :::6881->6881/udp   qbittorrent
    c03c5d5b4fa4   portainer/portainer-ee:latest            "/portainer"             2 months ago    Up 3 days   0.0.0.0:8000->8000/tcp, :::8000->8000/tcp, 0.0.0.0:9443->9443/tcp, :::9443->9443/tcp, 9000/tcp                                    portainer
    01faea9341cb   lscr.io/linuxserver/plex                 "/init"                  10 months ago   Up 3 days                                                                                                                                     plex

the volume

Code
    DRIVER    VOLUME NAME
    local     portainer_data
    root@openmediavault:/#
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Please publish the stacks of those containers, jdownloader, qbittorrent and plex. Omit sensitive data if any.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I assume you set up the containers directly in Portainer without stack, so you have some work to do. You will have to look in the configuration of each container to see which volumes are assigned to it to locate which volume and container is causing this problem.

Unfortunately I uninstalled Portainer a long time ago so I can't help you with that.

• ok, but are we sure the issue is within a container and not something else... if I'm sure that omv-regen would work with my omv version I would format the disk and stop wasting time.. but atm i cannot update due to missing space!

• Offizieller Beitrag

According to the first post in the other thread, the problem is almost certainly in docker.

You can use omv-regen to regenerate OMV on another disk, you can even install OMV on a USB stick and regenerate there. This way you keep your original system disk and don't lose anything by trying.

Posible problems:

1. If you have docker installed in var/lib/docker you will lose everything there. In this case you will lose the containers because you have them in Portainer.

2. If the container configuration is reproduced the same way it is now on the new system you will repopulate rootfs.

• chente  advapi

The following code will draw the compose for any named container.

Just change the <container_name or ID> with what is the available containers (in OPs case: jdownloader, qbittorrent, plex)

docker pull red5d/docker-autocompose && docker run --rm -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock red5d/docker-autocompose <container_name or ID>

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!