Cannot browse SMB share list on OMV 7.0-17

• Hi,

I have a strange problem with Samba on a fresh install of OMV 7 / Debian 12 on a Raspberry Pi 5.

I am more or less replicating from a fresh start, the same setup I have on an x86 NAS running OMV7 / Debian 12 (but this one has been upgraded big time since 2017 and OMV 4.x)

On the new OMV 7 / Pi 5 NAS, from a Linux machine, I can access my SMB shares directly (i.e. in Dolphin) by typing `smb://ip_address/share_name`, that works perfectly good, but if just type `smb://ip_address`, I get a long wait and a timeout, and never get the available shares list.

Also, I cannot seem to access the shares at all from a Windows machine.

My x86 OMV machine doesn't show any such problem, and as far as I can tell, the Samba configurations are identical, and both machines run Debian 12 and OMV 7.0-17.

Taking a look at the samba log didn't help me.

I'm surely missing something trivial, but I cannot figure it out.

Any help would be much welcome !

• I have the Same Problem on my RPi4 and not on a x86 Machine. It seems that there some Packages or integrations like the avahi-deamon for mdns or wsdd2 missing after Installation.

I Hope, they will be fix in next releases

Greeting phiku

• Did you enable Workgroup ?

Service > SMB > Parameters > enable Workgroup

• Try to add in Services > SMB/CIFS > Settings > Advanced settings > Extra options

Code
    browseable = yes
  • If this matter reamains open...

Same issue, fresh install with no Samba Acces.

I used a local server repositories in my 1st installation. Issues that I was not able to fix after 2h

I did a new fresh install, but using the default debian server to donwload updates... and maaaaagic was done.

regards

• New
    • Official Post

One from Catalonia, now I don't remember what ot them.

The first that appears with the domain .cat.

For some special reason?

• New
    • Official Post

I felt free to choose the server...

It's strange to limit the server choice to such a small region. This restricts to a minimum the possibilities offered by the globalized world in which we live. As you say, you're free to choose what you want, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

• It's strange to limit the server choice to such a small region. This restricts to a minimum the possibilities offered by the globalized world in which we live. As you say, you're free to choose what you want, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

I assumed that all server should have the same revision/version. But.... no.

• Likewise, I am experiencing this problem on a Raspberry Pi 4 that I upgraded from OMV 6.x to 7.x. The SMB/CIFS shares do not automatically appear on the network. Tried on Windows, Linux, and macOS, same result.

I hope someone could have a fix for this soon.

OMV 7.2.1-1 (Sandworm) | Linux 6.6.31+rpt-rpi-v8

OMV 7.2.1-1 (Sandworm) | Linux 6.1.0-21-amd64

OMV 7.2.1-1 (Sandworm) | Linux 6.6.31-current-sunxi

• New
    • Official Post

Likewise, I am experiencing this problem on a Raspberry Pi 4 that I upgraded from OMV 6.x to 7.x.

First, it should be noted that the OS (on your SD-card) should copied for backup ( -> Cloning Flash Media ).
    Second, things can go wrong with with a version upgrade. (Before attempting an in-place upgrade, "things that can go wrong" is a very good reason for backing up the SD-card.)

I just performed a fresh (from scratch) build of OMV7, on an R-PI 4, and reconnected to data that existed on a drive from an OMV6 R-PI4 build. The SMB Music share was there, browsable on the network, almost immediately after the SMB share was enabled. (Shared folder permissions are "Others - Read". SMB is "Guests Allowed").

Perhaps, at this point, a -> rebuild is something you might consider.

• Thanks for the reply, crashtest.

I do have a backup of my OMV 6 setup, but End of life for OMV 6 is this July 2024, so I was hoping that the OMV devs already have crushed the bugs for OMV 7 for RPi by this time. Unfortunately that isn't the case.

Doing a clean install will produce the same "SMB shares not browsable on network", as experienced by petaramesh, so I won't bother doing it.

• New
    • Official Post

Doing a clean install will produce the same "SMB shares not browsable on network", as experienced by petaramesh, so I won't bother doing it.

Without trying a clean rebuild, I don't know how you know this.

In any case, I can't reproduce the problem. My regrets.

• New
    • Official Post

so I won't bother doing it.

You can reproduce the OMV configuration on a clean system with omv-regen. It will cost you 20 minutes.

• Without trying a clean rebuild, I don't know how you know this.

In any case, I can't reproduce the problem. My regrets.

The original poster, petaramesh, actually did a fresh install on their RPi, and encountered the problem:

I have a strange problem with Samba on a fresh install of OMV 7 / Debian 12 on a Raspberry Pi 5.

User phiku, who replied to petaramesh's post above, also encountered the same problem on their RPi, although they did not specify if it was also a fresh install, like petaramesh.

• You can reproduce the OMV configuration on a clean system with omv-regen. It will cost you 20 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestion, chente.

Unfortunately, the original poster petaramesh actually did a fresh install of OMV 7 on their RPi. I assume they configured the SMB/CIFS and Share settings manually on their clean install, but encountered the problem, so my guess is that the problem is specific to how OMV7 is configured for the Raspberry Pi.

I also have an x86 PC upgraded to OMV7, but did not have this problem.

I'm confident the devs will come up with a solution soon, especially since OMV6 will reach EOL this July.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!