new SSD not visible in disk list

• Dear OMV users,

I attempt the setup of a small NAS based on a Mini PC:

fanless Bmax B1 plus (N4000/8 GB RAM/128 MMC).

I also ordered a 1 TB plugged in to the PCI M.2 2280 drive bay. This SSD is new, still not formatted by me otherwiese.

The installation process of OMV went fine. I performed an update to v6.9.11

My router provides DHCP. To access the NAS with one of my computers is successful with the http-numbers 192.168.xxx

My question (as unexperienced debian user): I do not see the extra SSD! So I can't format it to create a file system.

The disk display only shows the system disk /dev/mmcblk0 with some 116 Gb.

And I did not find a command line window to perform own checks and mountings.

Any hint to overcome this issue is appreciated.

kind regards, Wolfram

• macom

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Welcome to OMV!!!!

First you should wipe the disk. Then create a filesystem, e.g. ext4. Finally mount the filesystem. Everything to be done from the GUI of OMV

The New User Guide which is linked in my signature will be helpful for you.

• Hi macom,

thanks for the hint to the New User Guide.

I went through it completely. I also installed some of the OMV-Extras. All went fine so far.

But coming to the chapter "A Basic Data Drive" I did NOT see my installed 1 TB SSDdrive, as reported earlier.

I.e. there is only the system drive /dev/mmcblkop2 but not as expected a /dev/sda for my data to share in my local net.

What can I do further?
    Is there a manual mounting necessary? If so, any hints for that procedure inside OMV?
    Otherwise I don't see any other way than to take the SSD out, put it to an USB-interface an plug this into my Linux notebook, to format it with the means there.

Thanks for your response...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a manual mounting necessary?

No, the filesystem has to be mounted from the GUI of OMV. Otherwise you will not be able to use it with OMV.

Yes, might be an idea to wipe the drive on the Linux notebook.

• so it's an nvme ssd? Is this the same drive you installed omv on? If so you need to install sharerootfs plugin to be able to use the boot drive.

Dell 3050 Micro, i5-6500T, 8GB Ram

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 512gb SSD Boot, 1tb nvme Data, 16TB (8tbx 2 merg) Media,

Docker - dozzle, netdata, nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!