OpenMediaVault managing a SAS (or USB 3.2 or Thunderbolt 3)-connected DAS

• Hello OMV team,

Hello forum members,

This is my first post and I am expecting much from it, as I've been getting really bored these last months with reading contradictory and/or unjustified explanations in various forums about the subjects below.

In a nutshell, I have around 200 TB data (work, music, video, (retro)games) stored on multiple individual USB hard disks and I now want to get this data properly stored and secured.

NOTE 1: given the amount of movies I own at the time of writing this message, I am not considering to include my movies in this storage project. As a result, the project will deal with the remaining data, i.e., around 100 TB of archived data.

The constraints of the desired target architecture is the following:

1) A (powerful) PC (namely "the server") that embeds a (virtualized ? / containerized ?) OepnMediaVault distribution (version >= 6, presumably 7.x), is connected to a direct-attached storage (DAS) unit by means of either a unique SAS or USB 3.2 Gen 2 or Thunderbolt 3 direct connection (No USB / Thunderbolt hub beteen the PC and the DAS).

2) The DAS unit should contains at least N bays x 20 TB hard disks, where N = 8, ideally N = 16, more realistically N = 12 if I can find such a ready-to-use enclosure in Europe at a reasonable price. Yes, as you guess, the budget will be a key factor to determine the amount of bays, 8 being a minimum.

NOTE 2: given the above obvious financial constraint that might impact the final number of bays, I am considering that I might soon or later run short of storage space in my DAS, and that therefore, my conclusion is that I do not want to embed both the server and the storage in one single box, hence the choice for a dedicated "stupid" DAS box...

NOTE 3: some potential ready-to-use DAS candidates examples that I may consider for a purchase are:

- OWC ThunderBay 8

- QNAP TL-D800C or TL-D800S (the SAS version of TL-D800C)

- QNAP TL-D1600S

3) The OMV instance embedded in the server MUST fully drive and manage the SAS-or-USB 3.2-or-Thunderbolt 3-connected DAS disk unit.

4) Required: the OMV instance embedded in the server MUST make it possible to configure and manage the DAS' HDDs according to a RAID 5-like paradigm.

QUESTIONS :

Q1) Given the configuration constraints exposed above in 1) and 2), can an OMV instance manage a connected DAS as described in 3) and 4) ?

Q2) If so, which configuration (SAS-connected DAS, Thunderbolt-connected DAS, USB 3.2-connected DAS) is the most recommended configuration to properly work with OMV ?

Q3) As mentioned earlier, some people pretend that RAID over USB is a non sense, and/or that such a configuration paradigm would undoubtedly lead to data loss or to whatever kind of unpredictable apocalyps, rarely explaning why, and above all, never mentioning whether they refer to individual USB HDDs connected to the PC "server" or whether what they consider as undesirable configurations also embraces USB 3.2 / Thunderbolt 3 DAS connected to a PC.

So, in a nutshell, can somebody CLARIFY this point for the particular USB or Thunderbolt-based DAS configurations I am currently considering as potential purchases ?

Q4) Can the OMV team or some forum members tell me about their experience with using OMV with any OWC or QNAP product listed in above NOTE 3 ? Is OMV compatible with one or several of these DAS ?

Q5) Are there any N>=8-bay DAS model that you could recommend me as good DAS solutions to buy or build compatible with OMV ?

Sorry again about the length of my message,

Expecting your answers,

Kind regards,

Chown

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • crashtest

• KM0201

• The DAS enclosures you've listed above seam to be desktop kind devices and quite expensive. Are you tied to this form factor? If not, I would take a look at some refurbished 19" storage boxes to house your data drives.

Those come with SATA/SAS backplanes. So the device which houses your OMV VM needs a HBA with external connectors which needs to be routed to the backplane of the 19" storage enclosure.

• On some occasions, I connect a four bay QNAP TR-400 DAS to my RPI via USB and OMV handles it just like any other pluggable USB storage. I cannot vouch for any other interface though (SAS or Thunderbolt.)

7.0.5-1 (Sandworm)

Processor Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5

Linux 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-v8

• I can tell you how I am doing this and what options I have completely avoided.

External DAS boxes that connect via USB, eSATA, or Thunderbolt are not anything I would consider.

I have an LSI SAS9207-8e SAS card in my OMV headless server. This card will handle up to eight SAS or SATA hard drives directly.

I have a DAS box consisting of a Silverstone DS38B PC case that has eight external hot swappable drive bays. Inside are a standard PC power supply, a 24 pin ATX EPS PSU Power Supply Jumper Bridge Plug, a Dual Port Mini SAS SFF-8088 to SAS SFF-8087 Female Adapter with PCI bracket, and a pair of Internal Mini SAS to SATA SFF to SATA Forward Breakout cables. You can use any PC case that has enough drive bays to meet your needs.

The OMV server and the above described DAS box are connected with a pair of SAS26P SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cables- keep these cables as short as possible as the SATA spec says that cables over 1 meter long are non SATA spec compliant. I am using 2 meter cables without any problems, probably because a SATA controller is not being used.

You can buy similar DAS prebuilt DAS boxes online. Here is one source: https://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas-sata-enclosures-no-expander Google for others.

This setup presents itself to OMV as up to eight individual hard drives as the LSI controller is in IT HBA mode. You can optionally do whatever RAID setup that OMV/Debian supports.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• If you're really going to use SAS drives, which use a lot more power than SATA, then you'll have to replace the PSU in that enclosure as it's only 300 watts. The SAS drives ALONE could take 311 watts.

To find this, it's as simple as using the mode that consumes the most, you find that on a "datasheet", eg. Seagate Exos x20 SAS 12.0gb

(the 12v has a +/- of 10% in amps)

2.494 * 1.1 = 2.7434 * 12v = 32.9208 watts

(the 5v has a +/- of 5% in amps)

1.129 * 1.05 = 1.18545 * 5 = 5.92725

32.9208 + 5.92725 = 38.84805 watts per drive. So, 8 SAS drives, 8 * 38.84805 = 310.7844 watts _JUST_ for the drive, that doesn't include anything else. This is basic math, basic as it gets, yet somehow this "owc.com" company that sells that really expensive enclosure fails to do it.

Scratch all that, it's only SATA drives!!! That's so crappy for a $800usd case, so crappy.

• olduser What post are you replying to that you have stricken all that stuff?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!