EXFAT Disk suddenly readonly, root has write access

• Hey folks,

my oms shares suddenly stopped working and while troubleshooting with root via ssh on my omv machine, i can still edit files. I checked permissions, only root has write access. Checking the mount options it looks like that:
    /dev/sdb1 on /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-5034-83D0 type exfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,iocharset=utf8,errors=remount-ro)

Seems like fmask and dmask 0022 is causing root only. What did happen and how can i fix that?

Greetings

Andre

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • exfat does not carry linux permissions as it is not a linux native filesystem. The same is true of ntfs. Using filesystems that do not allow for linux permissions on a linux machine normally are only root writeable.

Please don't fight saying it used to work. If it did, you were very lucky, it was proably a rando fluke, and I can't explain why it did, but if you want linux to operate fully amd correctly with your drives, they must be a linux filesystem so those non-root permissions can be set.

Best advice is to copy the data off the drive. wipe it, make a linux filesystem and copy the data back.

• I was able to gain write access from Windows to an exFAT drive shared from my OMV server (an Intel i5, not a raspberry pi) by following this guide:

Adding Support for exFAT on the Raspberry Pi
    Learn how to utilize exFat with Raspbian.
    pimylifeup.com

I installed the "exfat-fuse" package and then, in the /etc/fstab file, edited the entry for my exFAT drive to use the mount options in that guide: defaults,auto,umask=000,users,rw 0 0

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I was able to gain write access from Windows to an exFAT drive shared from my OMV server (an Intel i5, not a raspberry pi) by following this guide:

Adding Support for exFAT on the Raspberry Pi Learn how to utilize exFat with Raspbian. pimylifeup.com

I installed the "exfat-fuse" package and then, in the /etc/fstab file, edited the entry for my exFAT drive to use the mount options in that guide: defaults,auto,umask=000,users,rw 0 0

exFAT is not supported in OMV, and NTFS is only supported for interim data copying purposes. https://docs.openmediavault.or…/storage/filesystems.html

Forget about Windows file systems on a Linux system, they will only give you problems.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!