sendmail options with openmediavault and postfix

• Looking for suggestions / advice on how to handle notification email for my homelab. It seems most systems / appliances / devices etc can support email notification and I would like something a bit better than using my personal gmail account. I read about an option of using postfix through sendgrid/twilio and that looks promising, but in an attempt to spin up postfix via docker compose plugin on my OMV ... I saw a port conflict. This led me to learn that omv actually already has postfix installed.

I guess I have three options 1) configure the installed postfix to relay through my sendgrid account via api and point my homelab stuff at the omv for SMTP 2) host the docker on non standard ports and "hope" all my stuff supports non-standard smtp ports. 3) host the docker on non-standard ports, config OMV postfix to use the dockerized instance, point my stuff to the OMV instance.

Any better ideas or advice is appreciated.

OMV7 on Beelink mini-PC i3-N305 32GB 500GB NVME 2TB Crucial SATA 2x2,5 intel NIC

• I appreciate another option!

interesting .. this requires a work email to get started ... I want to keep this outside my employment. ignoring the fact that I am a contractor and only work for myself at the moment :)

I own my own domain, but I currently don't pay for email to that ... again making do with gmail for personal email so far .... I previously had email redirect via my name registrar .. but that doesn't work since I moved from their own DNS to cloudflare DNS to support let's encrypt certificates.

OMV7 on Beelink mini-PC i3-N305 32GB 500GB NVME 2TB Crucial SATA 2x2,5 intel NIC

• Smp2go is basically an email relay. When you set it up you do register an existing email address (doesn’t have to be a “work” one) as an allowed sender but it just used authentication to relay so that it can’t be abused by others to relay through their servers.

It doesn’t require using your gmail servers, just the authenticated address and password.

• Thanks for the ideas.

It occured to me that Cloudflare might also allow for redirected email, and indeed it does on the free DNS acount I use. I created an email address (on my domain) and forwarded it to my personal gmail and bingo I had a "work" email address to use. with that I setup an account at smtp2go, authorized my full domain as senders, and now I have a SMTP relay I can use in my homelab ... tested via openmediavault!

Thanks again.

• mervincm

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • I wish OMV would allow more user control over Postfix, at least enough for it to act as a mail server for the localdomain and its users. I used to have a main.cf file that allowed for this but got tired of having to restore it everytime OMV decided to overwrite it.

I just prefer that all those notification emails would be delivered locally and not have to be relayed out thru a third party mail service, gmail for example.

I'll combine my reply here with a feature request:

Given an email address and PGP public key, encrypt the notification emails with PGP. This way I don't care if they travel thru gmail, etc or are delivered locally - my email client doesn't care.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks for the ideas.

It occured to me that Cloudflare might also allow for redirected email, and indeed it does on the free DNS acount I use. I created an email address (on my domain) and forwarded it to my personal gmail and bingo I had a "work" email address to use. with that I setup an account at smtp2go, authorized my full domain as senders, and now I have a SMTP relay I can use in my homelab ... tested via openmediavault!

Thanks again.

You're welcome. Glad it worked out for you.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I wish OMV would allow more user control over Postfix, at least enough for it to act as a mail server for the localdomain and its users. I used to have a main.cf file that allowed for this but got tired of having to restore it everytime OMV decided to overwrite it.

you can hook into the service deployment according to this:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!