Problem with RAID not seen on installation

• Hi all,

I am reinstalling OMV (latest version) onto an existing machine that was running an older version of OMV (version 5 or 6, not sure).

It is an HP Microserver Gen 7 which boots off a 2.5 inch SSD mounted in the ODD bay and has 2 x 2TB SATA hard drives in a RAID 1 in the first two caddy slots.

The machine was running fine but suffered a failure of the SSD and (obviously) stopped functioning, so I inserted a new SSD and installed OMV 7 to it.

Initially, I left the RAID drives out for safety until I had the installation complete and could prove the system functionality. Once that was done, I shut the machine down, inserted the RAID drives and rebooted.

After the system came up, the RAID did not appear in the dashboard. However, using a directly attached keyboard and screen I could see the RAID was there. I could manually mount it to /mnt and the contents were visible, so they RAID was not corrupted.

I thought it might be because the RAID was not detected at installation time, so I did the installation again, but with the RAID disks installed. During the partitioning selection process it offered a RAID1 array as a possible target, so the detection was successful. However, after the initial boot, the RAID manaagement option was still missing from the dashboard.

I researched this issue in the forum with no success, so I am embedding some printouts which seemed relevant in other cases

BR

Mick

Code
    root@odysseus:~# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [raid1] [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sdc1[0]
          1953382400 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
          bitmap: 0/15 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

unused devices: <none>

Code
    root@odysseus:~# mdadm --detail --scan --verbose
    ARRAY /dev/md/0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 metadata=1.2 name=odysseus.internal.net:0 UUID=270a3820:d7386050:f7eaaaa7:d41c577a
       devices=/dev/sdb1,/dev/sdc1

The following mdadm.conf is unmodifed from the fresh install

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mick_d () aus folgendem Grund: Array was auto-read-only, but cleared when manually mounted with "mount /dev/md0 /mnt"

• macom

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Hi Macom,

OK, that plugin has added a "Multiple Devices" option to "Storage" and I was able to add the Filesystem.

I must admit it was a bit counter-intuitive to have to add the plugin. I don't seem to recall doing that before, but Hey-ho!, it's workling now.

Thanks for the prompt info.

BR

Mick

• mick_d

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I must admit it was a bit counter-intuitive to have to add the plugin. I don't seem to recall doing that before, but Hey-ho!, it's workling now.

md raid was separated to a plugin for OMV 7.x because most people don't (and shouldn't) use raid.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

thought it was as much to do with volker's preference for BTRFS raid than anything else

Maybe but I have been pushing to have md, ftp, and tftp moved to plugins for a very long time. md was just finally done.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!