shares make problems - i don´t know why

• I am asking for your help again.

Now that I have managed to get SnapRaid running with mergerfs (thank YOU), the shares are causing problems.

Network configuration: WORKGROUP

With a Windows 11 machine I can create, open and access the SMB shares via network search and entering the IP of the server. Guest-login is activated into the registry.

Example: \\192.168.178.97\Daten

But there is no graphical activation into the network list - only via manual input i can choose a share and store them.

But with a Linux machine (Linux Mint Mate 21.3 ) I can see the NFS and SMB shares -> but cannot access them:

NFS: a window appears

Mounting of the location not possible

Permission denied: This computer may not be authorized or a privileged port is expected.

SMB shares: input login data for user "A"

Mounting of the location not possible

Failed to receive the share list from the server: The argument is invalid

shares:

shares.png

shares permissions:

shares-permissions.png

NFS shares:

NFS-shares.png

SMB shares:

SMB-shares.png

for example SMB data share:

SMB-data-share.png

Would you help me, please?

:love:

Addendum:

From a machine with NeptuneOS (Debian) I have access to the SMB shares - but I don't see any NFS shares.

• Michelle_Br

Hat den Titel des Themas von „shares make problems - i dońt know why“ zu „shares make problems - i don´t know why“ geändert.
  • Hi,

Linux Mint's graphical File Manger is probably expecting to mount a NFSv3 share not a NFVs4 share. Likely reason NeptuneOs doesn't see the NFS shares is that avahi is not setup on NeptuneOs + same problem as Mint.

Which NFS versions have you selected under the OMV NFS server settings?

• I see NeptuneOS uses KDE plasma. OMV NFS shares should be discoverable via zeroconf(avahi) in Dolphin under network services. But you made need to add the package kde-zeroconf.

Mounting Windows SMB shares with guest-allowed can led to problems when trying switch between connecting as the "guest" user and users with credentials, as previous "session" credentials can be cached. You might find it easier to create a separate SMB public share which anyone can connect.

• Thank you very much. But i thought that it is an OMV problem.

For NFS shares i activated v2 - v4.2.

The avahi* tools are installed into Linux Mint ..... avahi-daemon, too

Which NFS options have to complete a configuration for a regular home user?

• Likely reason NeptuneOs doesn't see the NFS shares is that avahi is not setup on NeptuneOs + same problem as Mint.

I'm quoting myself as that's an ambiguous statement. To be clearer, NeptuneOS likely needs the kde-zeroconf package and like Mint's File Manager, kde Dolphin will try to connect using NFSv3.

So, I'd switch the OMV NFS server setting to NFSv3 in order to connect to NFS shares from Mint. Add the kde-zeroconf to NeptuneOs if necessary.

I still think you'll find it easier to work with a separate "guest only" public for SMB shares rather than "guest allow". In Linux the guest user equates to the "nobody" user who belongs to the "nobody" group. So the shared folder perms should be "allow everyone".

• ok ... fine ... I'll try that on site tomorrow.

So far only the access via SMB works - NFS does not work with Mint or NeptuneOS.

But I have to leave the NFS version on 2 - an old media player “Popcorn” should also find access there, as well as an older TV, etc. I don't know all this exactly yet.

• I gave up on getting my OMV NFS shares to be visible in Linux Mint's Network panel.

What I did do was mount those shares in Mint's fstab and then create bookmarks to them in Nemo.

The result is functionally the same.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Doesn't work for me.

Also, I can not enable only NFS v3 on OMV. Trying throws an error.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Trying throws an error.

I would be curious what those errors are (in another thread probably).

omv 7.4.2-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I gave up on getting my OMV NFS shares to be visible in Linux Mint's Network panel.

What I did do was mount those shares in Mint's fstab and then create bookmarks to them in Nemo.

The result is functionally the same.

Is it functionally equivalent? Isn't using automounter functionally equivalent, or systemd mounts with associated systemd automounts?

The problem for me is that I can't access it at all via NFS - I just don't understand that. And if I want to open the displayed shares -> see above

Michelle_Br I've explained and shown how it can be done with NFSv3 when using graphical file managers.. Whether you want to be restricted to using NFSv3 is a separate question.

• Krisbee

??

But I have activated the NFS compatibility from 2 - 4.2? Shouldn't it work then?

As explained previously, the Linux graphical file managers don't appear to be able to correctly select between a NFSv4 and NFSV3 connection when the OMV NFS server is providing both.

If you mount a NFS in Linux Mint/NeptuneOS at the CLI the syntax between a NFSv3 and NFSv4 is slightly different, for example:

NFSv3:

mount -v -t nfs  192.168.178.X:/export/Daten /mnt

NFSv4:

mount -v -t nfs  192.168.178.X:/Daten /mnt

So, this command will fail:

mount -v -t nfs -o vers=3  192.168.178.X:/Daten /mnt

(The man pages for nfs and nfs exports will explain this in detail.)

For example:

Graphical file managers don't actually use mount.nfs commands in the background, but helper programs they use seem have problems distinguishing between NFSV3 and NFSv4.

If you end resorting to using another method to access NFS shares in Linux ( e.g, fstab entry, systemd mounts or automounter ) them this thread will assist: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=416345

• Michelle_Br

An update. Just to prove I'm a numpty, I failed to check the latest debian 12 KDE Plasma desktop for Dolphin's behaviour with zeroconf detection of NFS shares. I was relying on my older Kubuntu 22.04 for info.

Happy to show there are no problems in latest debian 12 with NFSv4. Note kde-zeroconf package is installed on Linux client.

• But the problem is that it's not just any old machine, but various devices from different eras. The “Popcorn C200” media player, for example, may have v2 - 3 at most. I also have to take that into consideration.

I'm just surprised that no NFS shares are recognized and displayed at all. But isn't NFS actually the domain of Linux? It's all very mysterious ....

• I don't know how long you've been using Linux, but newcomers are often surprised to learn that on a typical desktop distro "out of the box" support for SMB shares is often better than for NFS shares. I can't help you with the 2010 era "popcorn C200", but I'm sure you're right that its firmware is designed for NFSv2/3 mounts.

The problem is not with the NFS server running on OMV, but rather with knowing how to configure the Linux client software and knowing which versions of NFS to use.

OMV was designed for ease of use and runs avahi to advertise services over the local network for so-called zeroconf service discovery on clients. While the majority of users will be connecting to SMB shares, Linux users are left to work out how best to make use of NFS shares.

There are multiple ways to configure access to NFS shares on Linux clients, relying on the zeroconf function of graphical file managers like nemo & dolpin is just one way.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!