Add OMV 7 to VLAN

• Just bought a managed switch and have created VLAN with ID=2. From the Proxmox interface I have added two LXC containers and one OMV VM to the VLAN. In Windows 11 I have added a NIC to the VLAN. Tagging done on managed switch. All devices connecting. Problem is I can't add my main OMV device to the VLAN. What do I have to change in above pic (or elsewhere) to get it working? I want the IP for the VLAN to be 192.168.2.3. Any help appreciated.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• Found this in syslog:

2024-05-19T17:03:32.516222+12:00 omv systemd-networkd[357]: /run/systemd/network/10-netplan-enx1cbfce26001d.network:7: Invalid netdev name in VLAN=, ignoring assignment: enx1cbfce26001d.2

With reference to above screenshot I have tried different IP addresses on USB NIC and VLAN but can't get this working.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

• Is this the reason I can't get this working?

Unable to create vlan interface on Raspberry Pi · Issue #230 · openmediavault/openmediavault
    Hardware: RaspberryPi 3 OMV: 4.1.14-1 When creating a vlan interface, syslog shows an error message: Dec 8 11:53:12 nas-pi ifup[4116]: Error: argument…
    github.com

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

• johnvick Without seeing your Promox network config, I can only make a generic comment. Unless you're using pci passthrough on a host NIC ( your're probably not), your OMV virtual machine can only connect to a bridge device within Proxmox, e.g. vmbr0, etc. That bridge can be set vlan aware or not. If the bridge device you connect OMV to only carries untagged vlan 2, then it doesn't need to be vlan aware. However the virtual nic appears in OMV, using dhcp will show you if it's connecting to the vlan 2 or not. If the bridge carries multiple vlans and is vlan aware, then you need to use tag 2 on the connection between the bridge and the OMV VM. Again, in OMV just configure the nic with a vlan2 ip.

Here's an example:

In Proxmox

Interface enp8so is connected to the trunk port of a switch, which carries vlan 20,30,40, and 50.

VMs will connect to bridge vmbr1 which is vlan aware.

OMV VM is given a virtual NIC connecting vmbr1 tagged 20.

In OMV just use DHCP as a test on virtual NIC:

• Thanks, the Proxmox end is working fine, it is connecting a bare metal OMV to VLAN with USB NIC that isn't working. From what I have read it is to do with the naming convention for USB NICs making the device name too long.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

• Just bought a managed switch and have created VLAN with ID=2. From the Proxmox interface I have added two LXC containers and one OMV VM to the VLAN. In Windows 11 I have added a NIC to the VLAN. Tagging done on managed switch. All devices connecting. Problem is I can't add my main OMV device to the VLAN. What do I have to change in above pic (or elsewhere) to get it working? I want the IP for the VLAN to be 192.168.2.3. Any help appreciated.

I read this to mean "one OMV VM" and "my main OMV" to be the same thing. Guess I was wrong.

• Sorry should have made it clearer.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

• OK solved this, maybe I have broken some rules, please advise if this is the case.

Using info in this tread I changed the name of the USB NIC by UDEV rule.

Add the NIC by its new name in network interfaces.

Add VLAN to that NIC.

Changed the MAC address of the VLAC NIC.

Tag all relevant devices on managed switch to join VLAN 2.

All relevant devices now connect to VLAN 2.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!