HPE Proliant Servers

• Except it doesn't work as expected for you. You can make any assumptions you like about me, is not going to change or improve your situation. I actually find it hilarious that you think I don't know what's up lol.
    Go get yourself a real switch and stop trying to prove something you are not. You shouldn't be using enterprise equipment if you can't make heads or tails from the info I gave you. If you want to save 3 watts of power on a switch, you are doing it wrong. You are contradicting yourself by using an enterprise solution that has a monitoring SoC that is powered 24x7.

Now let's stop this right here and move on to do something productive. There are more people that will truly appreciate any help they can get and you are on the way.

You can make any assumptions you like about me and my setup, it is not going to change or improve your situation. I actually find it hilarious that you think I don't recognize your poor concealment of the fact, that you are not willing or not able to answer my question (lol is for kids).

Go get yourself real knowledge and stop trying to prove something you are not. You didn't gave me any information, that i didn't already had for years. I actually save (more than) 3 Watts on an unnecessary switch, while i spend them on iLO, what is a benefit for me.

Now let's stop this right here and move on to do something productive. There are more people that will truly appreciate any help they can get - sometimes fortunately even from you :D .

BR

Jan

• Offizieller Beitrag

Because repeating something someone else is not childish enough right? Stop the useless flamewar on this thread, this is not what the support forums are for. You've been warned.

• Hello again (and sorry to interfere)
    I tried what @JanN proposed (two posts below my original question) and edited /etc/network/interfaces as proposed with correct ip adresses.
    I plugged the printer in Nic2, router in Nic1 and rebooted both (printer and server).
    eth0 works fine, I can ssh into the server.
    The bridge doesn't work, the router can't see the printer.

# ip a

I edited MAC adresses for safety.

I backed up /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and the deleted it, rebooted.
    Nothing changed and the same 70-persistent-net.rules was created.

Is there something I'm doing wrong ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It appears like the interface is down. Is possible that both devices may not support MDIX, or as simple as the Ethernet cable not being all the way in. Double check the connections to be sure.

*Edit- my mistake, I skimmed through the info too fast. Can you show the state of the interface?

ifconfig eth1

• Is there something I'm doing wrong ?

Is there some reason you can't connect your server and printer with a switch?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi qkzk,

have you possibly written the line numbers from "my" source window into your interfaces file?
    Its content should solely be:

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# br0 network interface bridge
    auto br0
    allow-hotplug br0
    iface br0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.5 #example, IP of your server
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1 #example, IP of your router.
    dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1 #example, IP of your router and/or an external DNS e.g. 8.8.8.8 for Googles
    pre-down ethtool -s $IFACE wol g
    bridge_ports eth0 eth1
    bridge_fd 5
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_waitport 0
    iface br0 inet6 manual
    pre-down ip -6 addr flush dev $IFACE

BR
    Jan

Edit: I made a mistake: there was missing a cr/lf in "my" source window between the last two lines. Please excuse - and try again to reanimate the cat! ;)

• Thanks for all your answers !

ifconfig eth1

Code
    eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 1c:xx:xx:xx:d9
              BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
              Interrupt:17

@JanN : No I only copied the code and edited the ips. My file is exactly as you typed it in your last message.

@gderf : The only proper reason is that the only switch I have atm is 15 years old (I'm a newb, not a young fellow anymore) and is 100 base T... I guess I'll buy a better switch after Christmas as @Spy Alelo proposed earlier.

• Thank you for taking the time to answer queries in here Spy, this is really appreciated by the community.

I will get a G8 early next year and upgrade my G7 NAS - pretty sure I will use this thread a lot ;-)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• hello, I recently purchased a Gen8 G1610T for use with OMV and 3 storage HDDs; I am a home user, main priority is media server and backup

I have the following questions:

1. OMV is installed on a SSD which I placed inside the server case (where the optical drive would be) and connected to the USB on the motherboard using a chip from a 2.5" external rack - it boots fine

is this ok in terms of reliability and in terms of the SSD temperature negatively affecting the surroundings or any other things?

2. I will not be using RAID (too complicated for me and I also think I do not need it)
    instead, I will use daily rsync jobs to copy my data from one HDD to another for redundancy purposes

the questions is: should I enable the RAID feature in BIOS or only use SATA AHCI?

why I considered enabling RAID even if I do not use it:
    - I might need to put the SSD with OMV on the ODD interface and I understand that the server does not boot from ODD unless RAID is enabled
    - in the future I might need to use RAID and I do not know whether I can enable it then, everywhere I read it says that these choices need to be made before installing the OS

thank you

• Using the ssd on the usb will kill your CPU from time to time. My advise is to connect your sad on the odd port, fix the boot from cd port witch is now occupied by the odd and everything will be fine. My advise is to buy one more hdd and opt for a raid5 config.

I also use a microserver gen8 but on mine I've installed a Xeon e3-1240v2 plus a dedicated raid p220 card with a 512mb cache and I've connected the hard disks from the case to this board via the sas cable that I removed it from the motherboard and insert it into the raid card. Everything works great!

It doesn't matter what you choose in bios raid or ahci without proper kernel extension the os will set the access method as ahci.

Hope this helps.

• sorry, there are a lot of things I do not understand in your reply; unfortunately I have very little knowledge of server setup

1. "Using the ssd on the usb will kill your CPU from time to time"
    what exactly do you mean by "will kill your CPU" - kill as in "destroy"? or kill as in "overload"? what happens if the CPU overloads? does this just affect performance or the server may shutdown?

I have run OMV from a HDD connected via the USB port of an old laptop for several years now and never had any issues - why is this a problem for a server?

2. "fix the boot from cd port witch is now occupied by the odd"

what do you mean "fix the boot from cd port" - how do I do that? are you talking about the ODD port from the motherboard? will this port boot without RAID enabled?

the ODD port on the motherboard is not occupied, since the server does not have a CD-ROM, just a bay for installing one
    anyway, by ODD port I mean "optical disk drive" port, so I really do not understand what you mean by "CD port"

PS looks like you are romanian (so am I) - if you want, we can move this conversation to PM.
    thank you

• 1. "Using the ssd on the usb will kill your CPU from time to time"
    what exactly do you mean by "will kill your CPU" - kill as in "destroy"? or kill as in "overload"? what happens if the CPU overloads? does this just affect performance or the server may shutdown?

The usb header that is used in order to boot is an old USB 2.0 and the performance will suffer a lot plus what i meant by kill i was trying to suggest that the cpu will struggle each time it wants to access data across the usb channel.

2. "fix the boot from cd port witch is now occupied by the odd"

what do you mean "fix the boot from cd port" - how do I do that? are you talking about the ODD port from the motherboard? will this port boot without RAID enabled?

the ODD port on the motherboard is not occupied, since the server does not have a CD-ROM, just a bay for installing one
    anyway, by ODD port I mean "optical disk drive" port, so I really do not understand what you mean by "CD port"

Yes, by cd port i understand optical bay and i was referring to the ODD port that is not occupied that's your best solution on booting up the server. I don't remember well but i guess you are right the sata mode should be set to RAID, but don't worry AHCI is still available and is going to be used be your OS. One think is worth mentioning, the SATA mode that is supported on the ODD header is only SATA Gen2 os only a total bandwidth of 3Gbps.

• Hi Humbert,

booting from USB will not necessarily crash the system from time to time - this port in the Microserver G8 is meant for booting a system. But it is very slow. The best way for your purpose is installing the system on a hdd or ssd on SATA5 (the ODD-port) and installing a modified bootloader (GRUB) on a USB-thumbdrive or a SD-card in the internal ports, that makes the box boot from the system disk on SATA5, even when there are (data-)disks on SATA1-4. You'll find descriptions of this method in the web, e.g. https://www.bastelbunker.de/hp…-booten-von-den-odd-port/ (german) or https://www.aroundmyroom.com/2…10t-booting-with-usb-odd/ (english)

BR

Jan

• Hello to all,
    I have a HP Gen 8 G1610T with the latest firmware (console on iPhone, pretty cool :)) and I have 2 Seagate (brand new) 4TB HDD and another one 1 TB HDD.

The 2 Seagate are mounted in firsts an second bay of the server.
    I disabled the built-in HP B120i RAID controller and I have activated AHCI.
    OMV version 3.x (Erasmus) is installed on SD-Card and I installed also the NoFlash plugin.

My problem is that I just can’t mount those 2 4 TB HDD, anything I try I get error.
    I tried the OMV Web interface, error. (Pozele 2 si 3)

Tried mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sda and b the same problem. See movie
    If I try fdisk -l /dev/sda (or sdb) it says: fdisk cannot open /dev/sda input/output error

I tried with gParted, the same result. ( see movie )
    I activated SMART on OMV and in SMART extended info it says:

“smartctl 6.4 2014-10-07 r4002 [x86_64-linux-4.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, http://www.smartmontools.org
    === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Device Model:ST4000VN
    Serial Number:WDH17xxx
    LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 09da02xxx
    Firmware Version: SC60
    User Capacity:4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]
    Sector Size:512 bytes logical/physical
    Rotation Rate:7200 rpm
    Device is:Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
    ATA Version is:ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
    SATA Version is:SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s
    Local Time is:Wed Mar1 00:31:15 2017 EET
    SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is: Enabled
    AAM feature is:Unavailable
    APM feature is:Unavailable
    Rd look-ahead is: Enabled
    Write cache is:Enabled
    ATA Security is:Disabled, NOT FROZEN [SEC1]
    Read SCT Status failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    Wt Cache Reorder: Unknown (SCT Feature Control command failed)
    Read SMART Data failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    SMART Status command failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: UNKNOWN!
    SMART Status, Attributes and Thresholds cannot be read.
    Read SMART Log Directory failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x00:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    Read GP Log Directory failed
    SMART Extended Comprehensive Error Log (GP Log 0x03) not supported
    Read SMART Error Log failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    SMART Extended Self-test Log (GP Log 0x07) not supported
    Read SMART Self-test Log failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    Selective Self-tests/Logging not supported
    SCT (Get) Error Recovery Control command failed
    Device Statistics (GP/SMART Log 0x04) not supported
    ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x11:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    Read SATA Phy Event Counters failed”

I don’t have a desktop computer where to install those hdd to se what windows says about them and I ran out of ideas. Are the hdd broken or there is a bios setting that is wrong?
    Please advise.
    Thank you in advance,
    Ionut

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can anyone suggest a price to sell my HP Dl380 G6 at?

Probably under $500. A G6 is very old, starting to be slow, uses a lot of energy, and you can't put large capacity 3.5" drives in it.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was reading through your post, and honestly although I see some SMART issues this should not have any effect on the disk itself. My only advise is to try and zero out at least the first few hundred megabytes across the disk, and try formatting it again on EXT4 using the web GUI. I've seen my own share of odd behaviors when there was data already present on the drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!