[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Great plugin - Thanks for this!

Just a question - is there a way to add cache/log through the "gui" - I have no issues doing it via cli but just thought I'd ask - I couldn't find a way while I was poking around this morning.

• Too bad - Maybe in another release :)

Just wanted to report the plugin works really well (I'm running OMV v1.9) - AFAIK this is really the only "GUI" or "Web Tool" available for ZFS on Linux - pretty cool! I haven't explored a whole lot other then importing an existing zpool I had on an Ubuntu 14.04.2 Server, and creating a new zpool with 3 mirrored vdevs.

Are you able to do snapshot/rollbacks through the plugin or is that all cli still as well?

• Too bad - Maybe in another release :)

Just wanted to report the plugin works really well (I'm running OMV v1.9) - AFAIK this is really the only "GUI" or "Web Tool" available for ZFS on Linux - pretty cool! I haven't explored a whole lot other then importing an existing zpool I had on an Ubuntu 14.04.2 Server, and creating a new zpool with 3 mirrored vdevs.

Are you able to do snapshot/rollbacks through the plugin or is that all cli still as well?

You can do snapshots and clones in the GUI. Rollback I believe is not there.

• I followed this howto on my OMV 2.0.13 and all is ok, but when I wanna install zfs plugin is not there.

What I am doing wrong?

Please help me.

• Hi!

Been using OMV in prod with zfs for some time now...
    All works well, thanks!

Yes, adding scrub and auto-snapshot to basic functionality would be nice, but I kinda can solve that manually.

The thing that is really needed is permissions management.
    Somehow, if you use ZFS plugin you're stuck with RWX-style permissions. The web-interface for ACL-management would be the last argument for many users.

Is it possible for you to make one sometime soon?

• So thinking about making the jump from freenas to omv, but want to keep my pool. Looks like from what I have read, I wont be able to because I had upgraded to freenas 9.3. Is there any plan to bring in ths functionality or a manual way to get it to work?

• @muddro I don't think this is possible because it entirely relies on what the ZFS on Linux guys have done on their end. The OMV ZFS plugin is just a front end for the underlying infrastructure so it doesn't have any influence on what ZFS is capable of doing. It's only possible to import a Linux pool to FreeBSD at the moment, not the other way round. You may find that you have more traction contacting the ZFS on Linux guys directly about this.

• I will test it right now on a vm not knowing to much about the underlying technologies... I will test without the geli-keys I guess?!

By the way, is the development for the 2.0 zfs-plugin advancing?

OMV 2.1.1 with backport-kernel 3.16
    Antworten/ Answers/ Réponse: deutsch - english - français und/and/et Linux :)

• So this is far from being a real test... what I did on omv virtualbox:

- fresh install of freenas 9.3, created a pool raidz1 with 3 empty vm 20gb disks. Made a dataset (afp) on the volume. Update freenas.
    - volume manager -> unmount the pool
    - Installed omv 1.9, update, omv-extras, zfs plugins activated... reboot.
    - Attached the detached freenas pool disks to omv and started again ->

It works.

OMV is mounting the three disks as raidz1, I can see the pool in the zfs plugin with the afp dataset and some freenas ".system" entries.

I didn't check any user settings, sharing and so forth.

OMV 2.1.1 with backport-kernel 3.16
    Antworten/ Answers/ Réponse: deutsch - english - français und/and/et Linux :)

Edited once, last by lebernd ().

• That isnt a problem. We can just create a 1.x branch and make the main branch 2.x. Then if there is a fix that applies to both, you just need to apply it twice. I can create branch unless you want to.

omv 5.5.12 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.2
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!