hardest crap to setup

• this nas system is the hardest yet
    so many problems and questions unanswered (lack of documentation)
    half things work half don't
    users don't know what the errors mean and plugins not working including the ones that came with it
    it should already have some kind of media server that installs on initial setup
    can't even see it on windows and windows see's most nas
    think i'm going to uninstall and format disk try one that works better

• What are you talking about?

OMV is easy to install.
    Download the ISO and burn it to a flash drive, or a CD and install it.
    Remember to disconnect all your data drives before you install the OS.
    Then shutdown the PC, and re-connect all your data drives, and power on the PC.
    After that, continue to the web login page.

OMV3 ISO: https://sourceforge.net/projec…3.0.58-amd64.iso/download

OMV2 ISO: https://sourceforge.net/projec…lt_2.1_amd64.iso/download

There're plenty of guides/tutorial for OMV2 and OMV3.
    http://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Board/29-Guides/

Do a search in the forum.
    This forum is friendly and most mods are answer in a timely manner.

If you need help, then post your specific errors in the forum, and people can help you.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• this nas system is the hardest yet

It could be worse. **cough**FreeNAS**cough**

On a more serious note, as @tinh_x7 said, the community is very friendly and if there is something you need help with that you cannot already find on the forums, you can almost always guarantee a response if you post about it. I hate hearing the word "crap" being used to describe something that @votdev and @ryecoaaron put so much effort into.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Apparently, you haven't tried the other NAS offerings out there.
    The BSD based stuff requires a boat load of RAM to support their implementation of ZFS. If you want to buy a real server platform ($$ HP micro's and similar $$) and REALLY get bogged down in complexity, BSD is for you. Other NAS distro's are fee based, free versions has limitations, some are limited in features, etc. Another one cautions that it's file system (BTRFS) should not be used for "sensitive data" or a "production environment".

Since you seem to have installed OVM already, take a look at the documentation on the Wiki to get started. ->
    http://wiki.openmediavault.org Maybe you missed something.

If you don't want to use the wiki, for a sort of "quick start" guide, all you have to do after a new install is start on the left hand column on the Web GUI. Start at the top <System>, <Storage>, etc., make your way down configuring, picking and choosing what you want to enable. The dialog windows are pretty straight forward.

If you want ease of configuration, for the home user and small business, OMV is about as easy as it gets. But, hey, don't take my word for it. Check out this article. -> https://www.linuxvoice.com/group-test-nas-distros/
    (Note: Linux voice doesn't have any conflicts of interest in coming to their conclusion.)

I can say this much, I've tried more than one NSA distro in Virtual Box environments. OMV was the easiest to configure for what I want to do. (File Server, File Sync between a Windows File Server and OMV, and as of Ver. 3.0 bare metal client back up and restore across multiple platforms, with UrBackup) Also OMV will run on a $29 Raspberry PI (a cigarette pack sized PC with an ARM processor and 1 Gig Ram) and use an $8 SD card as boot media. I don't know of any other true NAS OS that can do that. I've been running OMV on a Raspberry PI for more than 2 years. Even on such a minimal platform, it's been solid.

As a reminder "Free" is what it is. If something doesn't work and you're sure it's not "operator error", bring it to the forum.
    (But you're going to have to be a bit more specific than what you posted above.)
    Oh, and last but not least, the stable version of OMV is 2.X Stone Burner. While 3.X is close, it's still a beta while some plug-in issues are being worked out.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

• And go away

Harsh words. Please keep calm. Everyone should be allowed to express its personal opinion.

I also think that this is a very friendly forum and the mods (and all other forum members for sure) do a very good job and are really interested to support their users.

But indeed OMV may not be the best solution for someone looking for a out-of-the-box-usage. A minimum of familiarization is required.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• Es ist Zeitverschwendung so ein Beitrag zu kommentieren der Punkt ist das wenn man nicht das notwendige wissen mit sich trägt sollte es entweder versuchen zu erlangen oder es gleich bleiben zu lassen. Daher hat WastlJ vollkommen recht !!

(google translator say :) )

It is waste of time so a post to comment on the point is that if one does not carry the necessary knowledge with it should either try to gain or leave it to remain the same. Therefore, WastlJ is absolutely right !!

This is the best idea you can have.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!