Update to samba 3.6.6-6+deb7u6 breaks prevoiusly working share

• Yes, I know it's not a good idea to share / so there is no need to remind me of that, and if that's all you can suggest, please don't. I am aware of the risks.

Prior to updating to samba 3.6.6-6+deb7u6 I had a working share of / and I could enter any sub-directory below the root.

Once the update was done, I can still see the root tree, but I cannot enter any sub-directory, Windows 7 says I do not have permission.

The only change that was made was to the update samba. This also happened on my other debian wheezy boxes, so it's not peculiar to my OMV box alone.

Below is how it exists now in /etc/samba/samba/smb.conf:

[root]
    guest ok = yes
    writable = yes
    public = yes
    path = /
    force user = root

Is there a change to the share specification that will solve this? If not, can I downgrade?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Do you have the recycle bin enabled? If so, did you also install the samba-vfs-modules upon which the recycle bin relies?

apt-get install samba-vfs-modules

When I updated to a Samba 4.1x backport I had a similar issue where I could see the folders, but not enter any that had the recycle bin enabled. Enabling logging for Samba showed it couldn't find the vfs modules and resulted in the access issue you are mentioning. So this is one thing for you to check.

• I have recycle bin enabled on some other shares, but not this one. Those other shares still work properly after the upgrade.

samba-vfs-modules is not installable on my OMV.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• To debug it you'll probably need to turn up the logging level in smb.conf (it is set to 0 by default I believe, 2 should get you started), restart the service (service samba restart), and then look at the system log to see what exactly is going wrong.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe there is something in the samba update that keeps you from sharing root. Since this is a terrible idea, I can easily see this being blocked in samba code. I would look thru debian bug reports.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Nothing relevant is written to the log.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you enable logging? Just increasing the log level won't do anything.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Maybe there is something in the samba update that keeps you from sharing root. Since this is a terrible idea, I can easily see this being blocked in samba code. I would look thru debian bug reports.

That wouldn't surprise me. But I have so far found no mention of this anywhere. But that's not surprising either, since it's a terrible idea and I must be the only one on the planet doing it ;)

--

• Did you enable logging? Just increasing the log level won't do anything.

Logging is enabled at the debug level. Nothing relevant is written to the log though.

--

• Nothing relevant is written to the log.

If I interpret this one way, you are getting Samba log statements, but nothing about the failure is showing up? No ideas here.

If I interpret this the other way, you are saying that no Samba log lines are present? If this is the case in the smb.conf there are several log options. Make sure you know which log file it is using (it can be specified). Not seeing the logs should be resolved first to debug the problem.

Edit: Okay, nevermind, ignore my post, you are a posting ninja.

• "Have you tried to map the share using nobody as credential?"

Take what I posted as the share specification and tell me how to change it to reflect your suggestion. Thanks.

--

• I am logging in the same way as I did before it broke. Other shares work as they did and I can drill down into subdirectories without problem. Attached is what Window says when I try to enter any folder below / I am never prompted for credentials.

• SOLVED by including in smb.conf:

wide links = yes
    unix extensions = no

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

That wouldn't surprise me. But I have so far found no mention of this anywhere. But that's not surprising either, since it's a terrible idea and I must be the only one on the planet doing it ;)

There may be others who want to do it but I have yet to hear a good reason why :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

Convenience to access what folders?

• Convenience to access what folders?

Mostly just a few of them, like /etc, /usr, /media, and /var but I didn't want to set up individual shares.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!