Exfat - in a sake of windows compatibility?

• Hi. I am new in nas. Iam still waiting my new hc2 sbc. Meanwhile i am thinking about storage. Now my 2tb hdd in ntfs. I want to make sure my storage always available for windows too if something goes wrong with nas. So my question is it a big sin to use exfat for nas/omv? I still need stable 105-115 MB/s via network. Exynos5 will beat it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The whole point of having a NAS is so that you no longer have to move drives around between computers. Instead you use the network.

Yes. The Gods will truly smite you if you use exFAT with OMV. And violate your body and soul. And you will loose sleep, data and time until you repent by reformatting.

Use EXT4 as that is what is natural and pleasing to the Gods. And also the fastest, I strongly believe.

Even if you use the fastest SATA SSD you will not exceed 100MB/s by much. The network is the bottleneck, at least when you copy big files.

If you decide to use NTFS or other evil Microsoft filesystems all bets are off. And you can expect to get the performance you deserve, not the one you want.

Make sure you have a GbE switch/router and GbE cables.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You're going to find that OMV is very reliable, but you're still going to need backup. (If your 2TB disk fails, it won't matter what file format is on it. Dead is dead.)

@Adoby is right on target with the advice given. With your data disk formatted in a native Linux format (EXT4), you'll get the best performance, while your network shares (Samba - SMB/CIF) translate file formats for Windows clients transparently.

Take a look at this -> guide. It's written in a walk-through style that should get you started.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I want to make sure my storage always available for windows

In case your NAS dies and you need access to the data from windows, there is software that can be installed on Windows to read ext4. Though I would not use it on a regular basis, it might be a solution for this scenario.

Or you can boot a Linux live distro on your system that is usually running windows.

• Thank you.
    Now i am going to use ext4 - it's good idea to use livecd linux if something goes wrong. My main worry was about "how can i restore info if omv\disk get some problems".

Take a look at this -> guide. It's written in a walk-through style that should get you started.

Will read. Thx!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!