Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?

• I've setup everything again from armbian buster iso (so omv 5 beta).

Lots of quirks to have a properly working omv (network setup should not be done using omv interface otherwise 2 ip adresses) and docker ( config.json is your friend, as is portainer ).

Samba perf is not so bad but irregular and inferior to my x86 setup.

Strangely, while I can copy mkv video files to/from samba shares (60 MB/S), I can't play them directly from the same share (excruciatingly slow..).

Some stability concerns even if cpu temp is less than 60.

We'll, I'm making progress but still lots of things difficult to comprehend..

Envoyé de mon Mi A1 en utilisant Tapatalk

• The OMV install process, using Armbian for OMV5, is being looked at. One of the issues I'm interested in is the inclusion of NetworkManager in Armbian. Using DHCP out of the box, NM works well for wireless interfaces but such considerations are not the highest priority for any device that operates as a server, with wired Ethernet.

OMV5 is still in Beta and it may be awhile, after it comes out of Beta, before SBC support is ready. If you want something now, consider the SBC images available for OMV4.

• 328 boards in the db, the mind boggles :D too much choice

That's my problem as well.
    I'm currently using the Raspberry Pi 3, and yes its slow but it works kind of. The biggest problem for me is the NTFS and Samba transfer speeds.
    Currently looking for a replacement with some more processing power, load average is almost always hovering around 3.50 and higher.

Anyone got suggestions for a replacement, that has higher network speeds and still got low power usages?

Currently looking at the ODROID-N2 nut shure if OMV will run on it and the idle power is quite high around 2 watt

• that has higher network speeds and still got low power usages?

RPi4

Currently looking at the ODROID-N2 nut shure if OMV will run on it and the idle power is quite high around 2 watt

OMV runs on anything that has an Armbian image and the N2 has and armbian image. I have an N2 myself. But if you think 2 watts is high, you are going to have problems.

omv 5.3.9 usul | 64 bit | 5.3 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.2.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• RPi4

OMV runs on anything that has an Armbian image and the N2 has and armbian image. I have an N2 myself. But if you think 2 watts is high, you are going to have problems.

I that the RPi in general whas crap to run OMV on. Because the use the same bus for the USB as for the Ethernet controller.

Does the RPI3 not run around 0.5watt idell?

• I that the RPi in general whas crap to run OMV on. Because the use the same bus for the USB as for the Ethernet controller.

Before the RPi4 that was true. With the RPi4, that is no longer true.

Does the RPI3 not run around 0.5watt idell?

That is a bit low. I would guess closer to 1 watt. But my point was that if you want more performance, it won't come without an increase in power use. Even if your electricity was $1 per kWH, 2 watts would still only cost a dollar and a half to run 24 hours a day. Your router uses more power than that.

omv 5.3.9 usul | 64 bit | 5.3 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.2.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!