Unable to login to complete setup

• Pardon if this is a repeat thread, I didn't see anything with a quick search.
    I just installed OMV 4 on an extra Pi 3+ I had. I used Etcher to load the image to a SanDisk 32GB micro SD card, and watched it boot verbose. There were a couple errors that came up but it seemed to be things such as "Microtek Bluetooth Adapter" and the like that I'm not using.
    After a verbose reboot with fewer errors, it popped up with the ASCII-character logo, a few more status lines on WPA Supplicant and the like, I was presented with an info and copyright line, and that was all in line with headless Linux distros I've played with on first boot so I assumed it was standard for this system. It then said to manage the system on the web control panel and displayed the MAC and IP address on the network, admin is account name, openmediavault is the password.
    I tried logging in via SSH from my desktop with Putty. It would connect, accept admin as the user name, but would tag "openmediavault" as invalid and ask again. Thinking it might be an SSH configuration issue I went ahead and plugged in a USB keyboard. No love there either.
    What might I be doing wrong here?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

admin and openmediavault is for the webui (go to the IP address in a browser from a machine on your network)

To log in at the console... username is root.. and I *believe* the password is openmediavault.. however different images seem to have different root passwords... so you need to check the info where you downloaded the image.. it should state what the root passwords is.

admin cannot log in at the console (or ssh for that matter)

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's true for all 'official' OMV images available at SourceForge. There's also a readme.txt (which nobody reads as usual): https://sourceforge.net/projec…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/

I was pretty sure the OMV images were... but I recall reading one of the images (maybe it was armbian)... the root password was 1234.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried logging in via SSH from my desktop with Putty.

It is also mentioned in the readme, that login via ssh is disabled for root. You either need to enable ssh login for root or use a user that is in the ssh and sudo group.

• admin and openmediavault is for the webui (go to the IP address in a browser from a machine on your network)

To log in at the console... username is root.. and I *believe* the password is openmediavault.. however different images seem to have different root passwords... so you need to check the info where you downloaded the image.. it should state what the root passwords is.

admin cannot log in at the console (or ssh for that matter)

Ahh, thank you. The WEBGUI, as in, not the command line. I'll catch up eventually.
    I'm dialed in now from my other Pi with Raspbian and OSMC loaded up and things are working fine in Chromium, but now I'm having an issue seeing the attached dual-drive enclosure with the mode manually set to RAID 1. I'm trying to get back in via SSH now because it isn't initialized yet and I don't see an option to do so in the webgui, but can't get to the command line to force mount and format; SSH requests are denied even though I initialized SSH just now via the GUI.

• I spent so much time trying to get Etcher working that when I got a clean boot finally

What does this mean? 'Trying to get Etcher working'?

Etcher works flawlessly, if problems occur this is an indication that the SD card is faulty. How did you achieve a 'clean boot'? By disabling verify in Etcher?

• What does this mean? 'Trying to get Etcher working'?
    Etcher works flawlessly, if problems occur this is an indication that the SD card is faulty. How did you achieve a 'clean boot'? By disabling verify in Etcher?

Long story, but neither the Linux AppImage nor source that is offered at Github would run on my desktop; I'm not sure if it was a dependency issue or a setting somewhere that prevented this, I haven't been able to suss that out yet. Gave up after a while and went to get the OSX build, but the one currently at Github also wouldn't run on my MacBook, it kept getting blocked as unrecognized. The latest OSX build from the Balena project pages finally ran correctly. After that, getting the card itself detected for some reason also became an issue, as if neither OS recognized it. I reformatted the card but wound up having to go back to the desktop and manually delete the partition I had just created using Gparted, end the session and eject the card, open it again to create the new Fat32 partition in a new session because it triggered an error if I tired performing both actions together and wouldn't cleanly create the Fat partition. After all this though Etcher did get the job done, but I burned a lot of time with all the troubleshooting and workarounds to get there. I didn't disable verify, I figure there's a reason for having this when you're trying to write an operating system to disk, but you're right, I need to keep an eye on this card; it shouldn't have been that much of a pain. Is there a easy way of backing up in OMV that doesn't simply image the card? If there is any corruption, I don't want it to copy also.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!