OMV 5.0 - finally out! :-)

• Thanks guys! I do not plan to upgrade. :)

Regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• The main problem for me now in omv4 when using proxmox kernel, is that the proxmox team doesn't deliver anymore kernel update, that is pretty much all reserved for pve6, so this could potentially be security problem in the future for OMV4.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The main problem for me now in omv4 when using proxmox kernel, is that the proxmox team doesn't deliver anymore kernel update, that is pretty much all reserved for pve6, so this could potentially be security problem in the future for OMV4.

The backports kernel will stop receiving updates as well (once stretch goes on extended support). If someone doesn't want to update, the really should be using the standard kernel.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The backports kernel will stop receiving updates as well (once stretch goes on extended support). If someone doesn't want to update, the really should be using the standard kernel.

How can you tell if you're using the backports, standard or promox kernel?

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Is this old airplane safe to fly? How in the world do you think it got to be this old?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can you tell if you're using the backports, standard or promox kernel?

You would know if you were using the proxmox kernel because you have to manually install it. The backports kernel is the default in OMV. Otherwise, when you login to the OMV web interface, the kernel version will have pve in it for proxmox, bpo for backports, or neither for standard.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• You would know if you were using the proxmox kernel because you have to manually install it. The backports kernel is the default in OMV. Otherwise, when you login to the OMV web interface, the kernel version will have pve in it for proxmox, bpo for backports, or neither for standard.

So if I'm perfectly happy with my OMV box running on OMV 4 for a very long time (don't have any interest in upgrading yet), is there any downside to moving over to the standard kernel (I checked, I am indeed on the backports - which I thought I was)? If I were to do that, how do I do it?

Is this old airplane safe to fly? How in the world do you think it got to be this old?

• Offizieller Beitrag

is there any downside to moving over to the standard kernel

Depending on your hardware, it might not have drivers you need. It could be less power efficient. Hard to say. The backports kernel will still be supported for quite a while. By the time it isn't supported, I would seriously consider upgrading.

• OMV 5 is okay ATM. The upgrade isn't that peachy(i had some trouble with zfs upgrading and omvextras),but can be done.
    I personally don't see the difference betweend OMV4 and OMV5 :D

The one glaringly obvious difference is the lack of a Docker GUI in OMV5 (OK, it is not in the base OMV5 but in the extras).

The one problem I have, is that I can't get Pi-Hole to run stable under OMV5, neither under the basic version nor under the Proxmox version (both installations from scratch).

• Domoticz uses now GLIBC >=2.27 so Debian Buster is required to get it working.
    It's terrible I have to choose between OMV and Domoticz.

Domoticz in a docker should insulate you from problems like this.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Ok thank you, let's start learning Docker.
    ----
    Well, there is lot of threads on Internet talking about Domoticz / Docker issues (for example, using a RFXCom or losing database after a restart). I don't want again to have a poor unreliable Domotic system, mine is now very mature with Domoticz and this is essential for me. Thank you anyway.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The one glaringly obvious difference is the lack of a Docker GUI in OMV5 (OK, it is not in the base OMV5 but in the extras).

Docker has always been in omv-extras on OMV. The plugin did go away in favor of portainer in OMV 5.x. It is a much more powerful (and maintained) gui for docker. omv-extras has a button to install it as well.

I don't want again to have a poor unreliable Domotic system, mine is now very mature with Domoticz and this is essential for me.

So, run it in a Debian Buster VM. There should be no reliability differences between a physical install and a VM.

• Docker has always been in omv-extras on OMV. The plugin did go away in favor of portainer in OMV 5.x. It is a much more powerful (and maintained) gui for docker. omv-extras has a button to install it as well.

I see I didn't communicate that correctly. I know Docker has always been in OMV-Extras, but the Docker GUI is missing in OMV5.

I find deploying images to containers to be easier with the old Docker GUI. Once I have a container, I can manipulate it equally easy both ways, but I must admit Portainer makes it a lot easier to change the image source when updating.
    And it is a shame Portainer still needs version 2 of Docker Compose yaml when adding a stack because most published yamls are version 3 (as is the output of autocompose).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I find deploying images to containers to be easier with the old Docker GUI. Once I have a container, I can manipulate it equally easy both ways, but I must admit Portainer makes it a lot easier to change the image source when updating.

Other than the fact that no one is maintaining the docker plugin, portainer is actively maintained and many more features. So, it just makes sense to use it.

And it is a shame Portainer still needs version 2 of Docker Compose yaml when adding a stack because most published yamls are version 3 (as is the output of autocompose).

The docker gui plugin didn't support any docker compose file. So, portainer is still ahead of that. You can still use compose v3 from the command line.

• Offizieller Beitrag

guess we will also need to reinstall(delete,and then add) flashmemory plugin, because it is based on omv-makeconf and such commands.

A new version of that plugin should be able to be installed over the old version. No need to uninstall it first. So, upgrading omv-extras will update the repos and then an apt-get upgrade should just upgrade it. Now that I think about it, it would've been nice if omv-mkconf was just deprecated (and become the second choice instead of default) instead of being removed. This would make upgrades go much better. Plugins that have a logging tag in the diagnostics section would still break the web interface because they use the PluginManager though until they were upgraded.

• Offizieller Beitrag

New - 2020.12.29

I recommend following this post now for upgrades - Upgrade Scripts for non-interactive major release upgrades (2->3, 3->4, 4->5)

Aaron,i guess we will also need to reinstall(delete,and then add) flashmemory plugin, because it is based on omv-makeconf and such commands.

On a test OMV 4.x system with the flashmemory plugin installed, this is all I did to upgrade it to OMV 5.x (as root):

I changed this to a script (no changes but eliminates the cut&paste issues:

wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/upgrade4to5 | sudo bash

reboot

apt-get purge openmediavault-omvextrasorg resolvconf
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/packages/raw/master/install | bash
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade

omv-salt deploy run nginx

omv-salt deploy run phpfpm

apt-get install usrmerge

omv-confdbadm migrate conf 5.0.0

Clear your browser cache after upgrading!

25 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

flashmemory gave me headaaches

This doesn't make sense to me. The plugin is barely different between 4.x and 5.x.

zfs

Proxmox kernel on OMV 4.x? If so, that makes sense since the proxmox kernel won't just upgrade.

Docker not so much.

Pretty sure they are the same package. So, that makes sense.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!