OMV 5.0 - finally out! :-)

• @votdev I know this is an extremely unpopular question, but can you estimate roughly when OMV 5.0 Usul will be ready for release?

Throughout the next weeks I planned to put a new server into operation and would like to know if it is worth waiting for the new version. I just don't want to take the trouble again to set everything up twice in a row.
    That's exactly what happened to me when Arrakis was released. The transition time between Arrakis Release and Erasmus EOL had been 2 months only, if I remember correctly.

I can see that there is an Usul beta on Sourceforge already and installing a Debian 9 right now feels a bit wrong to me too.

I deliberately don't ask for a date. Please just give me your estimation if it's a question of weeks, months, quarters (or years :D ).
    And how long will the transition phase be this time?

Thanks for your precious time and please don't feel rushed! :saint:

• Offizieller Beitrag

how compatible are OMV4 plugins with 5?

They aren't. That is why they are being ported. Here is the post I keep updated with the porting status - https://forum.openmediavault.o…?postID=186122#post186122

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I think OMV5 will be released after Debian 10.1. From my side all features are done in OMV5.

Debian 10.2 is out now. Just wanted to ask if plans have changed. Somewhere else in the forum I've read about planned features and GUI changes for OMV6. Talking about v6 while all people are waiting for v5 sounds a bit strange to me. Is v5 maybe left out completely? At least it may have a rather short release cycle as according to one blog post from August the ETA of OMV6 is 2020.

Please don't get it wrong! I'm thankful for having OMV at all and I understand why fixed release dates are problematic but I have to say that from my user perspective I'm very uncomfortable with this current situation. In a perfect world new OMV versions should somehow align with new debian releases. This would give us users a perspective of (2 year) long term stability and give you ( votdev , @ryecoaaron) more air to breath between two releases.

For me long term stability (while at the same time using an actively supported version) is more important than having the most bleeding edge features available. In this sense I'm a bit shocked to see so many users asking questions in forum about completely outdated versions.

Having a somehow "fixed" 2 year release cycle like debian (and routine upgrade paths) could also train users to upgrade more often. I admit I would also prefer not to touch a system that is running and doing its job for years. Having to care for a dist upgrade every two years while being up-to-date in between seems to me like a good tradeoff.

• Debian 10.2 is out now. Just wanted to ask if plans have changed. Somewhere else in the forum I've read about planned features and GUI changes for OMV6. Talking about v6 while all people are waiting for v5 sounds a bit strange to me. Is v5 maybe left out completely? At least it may have a rather short release cycle as according to one blog post from August the ETA of OMV6 is 2020.
    Please don't get it wrong! I'm thankful for having OMV at all and I understand why fixed release dates are problematic but I have to say that from my user perspective I'm very uncomfortable with this current situation. In a perfect world new OMV versions should somehow align with new debian releases. This would give us users a perspective of (2 year) long term stability and give you ( votdev , @ryecoaaron) more air to breath between two releases.

For me long term stability (while at the same time using an actively supported version) is more important than having the most bleeding edge features available. In this sense I'm a bit shocked to see so many users asking questions in forum about completely outdated versions.

Having a somehow "fixed" 2 year release cycle like debian (and routine upgrade paths) could also train users to upgrade more often. I admit I would also prefer not to touch a system that is running and doing its job for years. Having to care for a dist upgrade every two years while being up-to-date in between seems to me like a good tradeoff.

Actually you can set up your server using OMV 5. What is the difference if votdev has the status officially as released or still as BETA? That doesn't even change the development status. If you need features from Debian 10 or OMV 5, nobody prevents you from using them. I do and have no problems with it.

• Can you describe the trouble with zfs in more detail please? :)

Thanks Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

While I probably should change it, omv-extras doesn't have an upgrade path since OMV 5.x wasn't originally going to have an upgrade path from OMV 4.x. This probably caused the zfs upgrade issues.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I upgradaed debian( change stretch -> buster) with apt dist-upgrade. Restarted the machine. Installed OMV5 by volker's guide. Installed omv5extras from the site. And there are some problems stilll with extras,cause i have flasmemory plugin version 4, but everything else is version 5.
    I had to remove all zfs things, install proxmox 5.3 kernel and then install zfs-zed and zfs utils.
    The procedure is somewhat skethcy, but i wanted to try it at home, because i have a ferw

• Offizieller Beitrag

And there are some problems stilll with extras,cause i have flasmemory plugin version 4, but everything else is version 5.

Installing the new version of omv-extras should upgrade the repo list and apt-get update should update the package list. If a plugin didn't get upgrade, something went wrong with apt and omv-extras can't fix that. I would be very curious to see the output from the upgrade.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, that is after that initial install. Was omv-extras 4.x installed when you installed it?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!