Moving Photos from Google to OMV Nextcloud

• I recently installed OMV and Nextcloud. Thanks to the help from this forum, I now have it running the proper backup and am trying to transfer all of my photos from google (about 150gb worth) to a Nextcloud folder. I have downloaded all the files and now need to transfer them to Nextcloud. What is the best way to do this? Would Rsync be a good option? If so, what is the best way to figure out the correct folder path on Nextcloud?

• If on your install you navigate to /sharedfolders/Nextcloud/nextcloud_username/files you should see your folders from Nextcloud there.. but I don't think it's as easy as just copy/pasting them

• but I don't think it's as easy as just copy/pasting them

I think I tried that once, and you are correct. It doesn't work. Install the Nextcloud client on your PC and add them that way.

Simple and sure backup and restore: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV Version: Ver. 5 (current) - Hardware: NanoPi M4, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Booksonic, Calibre, & Heimdall - Acer Aspire T180, backup - Odroid XU4, Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2, and HP dx2400, Debian 10 XFCE.

• Or just upload them via the webUI...

The client though would probably be easier, as you could do a mass copy/paste. Only issue I see here, is it appears files are stored both on the server and the client... I guess after they sync though, you could uninstall the client then delete the folder.

• Okay, thanks. I thought maybe there was a better way. The webUI doesn't always seem to work as its supposed to. I tend to get a lot of errors and some files don't transfer. I'll try with the client.

• you can copy and paste the files or rsync them into the folder structure as @macom suggested. You have to manually issue a rescan of your folder via occ command.

1. docker exec -it nextcloud bash
    2. sudo -u abc php /config/www/nextcloud/occ files:scan --all (if this command does not work try sudo -u abc php7 /config/www/nextcloud/occ files:scan --all

• When downloading photos from Google, has anyone noticed that many of the files seem to be missing. I downloaded 150GB of google Takeout, but many of them are .jpg.json. Is there something else I need to do?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!