file system showing, but cant create shared folder

• Hiya

I've just installed 5.2.1-1 (Usul) on a clean rPi4,4gb, followed the OMV manual to setup, enabled SMB/CIFS, shutdown, connected a working external usb drive and booted the device.

In OMV UI, the drive is listed, as is the filesystem, showing the correct disk usage etc...

Problem is that when I try to create a shared folder, I click on "select a device" and there's a brief flash, but no returned device.

The rpc.php json response is just

JavaScript
    {"response":[],"error":null}

SSH commands reveal the drive is mounted correctly.

Is anyone experiencing a similar issue?

I would appreciate some help in overcoming this issue as although I know the device path, partition, UUIDv4, filesystem and so on, there is no way to manually add this to the UI of OVM.

I am willing to follow any steps and provide feedback... providing more info /downgrading OVM / add data to the OVM database / etc... if the issue cannot be resolved via the UI.

Many thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would appreciate some help in overcoming this issue as although I know the device path, partition, UUIDv4, filesystem and so on, there is no way to manually add this to the UI of OVM.

Can you explain this? Are you mounting the external drive on the command line?

• my apologies that I was unclear

The drive was automatically mounted upon reboot, so I did not have to perform a mount inside OVM, logging into OVM for the first time both the drive and its filesystem were picked up perfectly, so I assumed I could just go ahead and create a shared folder, but the device didn't show up there, whereas it did elsewhere.

Thank you for your amazingly fast reply!

• Offizieller Beitrag

my apologies that I was unclear

The drive was automatically mounted upon reboot, so I did not have to perform a mount inside OVM, logging into OVM for the first time both the drive and its filesystem were picked up perfectly, so I assumed I could just go ahead and create a shared folder, but the device didn't show up there, whereas it did elsewhere.

"Automatically mounted". Hum... maybe a new feature in 5? I wouldn't trust it. So far, I've manually mounted all drives.

It won't hurt to try this:
    First reboot. Then, in file systems, unmount and mount the drive again. This insures that OMV is aware of the mount, as in, it's in the configuration DB.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, I missed it. It appears that your drive is formatted HFS+ .

If you want to mount and use disks with file systems on already on them, the following are the choices that are native to Linux/OMV. (ZFS is also available with a plugin.)

I have no experience with Apple's HFS+.

• @crashtest

Ah now we're getting somewhere, thank you.

I rebooted, unmounted, and attempted to remount, which was unsuccessful - an "Error" css pop-up appeared, I hope you don't mind if I quote the whole thing, I've tried to format it appropriately:

I could use a shell to execute

export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run fstab

to get deeper insight?

Error:

• @crashtest

We must have posted at the same time so I missed your comment about HFS+

Thank you for spotting that.

I did suspect it might be something like that as I didn't see HFS+ anywhere either.

One thing I find off though, as mentioned the disk/fs was correctly mounted by raspian and I could access the files in bash.

and despite having hfsplus installed via
    [tt]sudo apt-get install hfsplus[\tt]

OVM can't use hfs+ but the OS can.

Are there any plans to allow hfs+ in the UI, I am assuming there are various logic issues with other parts of the software, but I am hoping that it still might be possible to mount it in the OVM UI as read-only rather than having to program against the complexities of a new file system if it hasn't been abstracted away.

Anyway thank you, I am not sure where this leaves me really, apart from converting to another file system, considering the drive came out of a Seagate Wireless device where the files were read/writeable over Wifi all on a 2cm by 5cm board, it would be really nice to think HFS+ is coming soon to OVM

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are there any plans to allow hfs+ in the UI, I am assuming there are various logic issues with other parts of the software, but I am hoping that it still might be possible to mount it in the OVM UI as read-only rather than having to program against the complexities of a new file system if it hasn't been abstracted away.

I really don't know, but I have my doubts. As I remember, at one time, the UI allowed setting network shares on NTFS formatted drives. It created numerous problems. Linux native file systems made more sense, with SMB being used as a translator for differing client file system types.

Since a NAS a file repository, I've been running under the assumption that Apple filing (AFP) is supported in SMB 2 & 3 network shares. We have a good number of Apple users who, as I understand it, are not having any problems

Is there some hard requirement for hfs+ , or is it just a personal preference?

• @crashtest

Thank you for that info, you're right, as I have no requirements at all, I will get on with the job of moving the data and reformatting the disk to a native format which will come with other benefits :)

I really appreciate your help, and have a Happy New Year.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!