Portainer/Docker issues

• I've been running OMV5 for a few weeks now and had almost everything I wanted running in docker (sabnzbd, radarr, sonarr, jellyfin, etc.) through Portainer. One last thing I was trying to get working was a bittorrent client running through a vpn. I tried several different options but was never able to get one working. I was trying again tonight and again failed but something seeming horrible happened - in deleting the images from my failed attempts, I somehow have broken Portainer. I've rebooted my server but portainer does not load. I tried to install from OMV-extras again but it errors out. And worse, none of my containers seem to be running. There is nothing in the logs for the past 30 min or so. When I do try to install Portainer again I get this message:
    Docker storage :: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-work/docker/
    Opt-out :: 1
    arch :: amd64
    option :: portainer
    state :: install
    extras :: 5.2.4
    DNS OK.
    No portainer containers or images to remove.
    Pulling and starting portainer ...
    Something went wrong trying to pull and start portainer ...
    Done.

when I look in my docker and container config folders it looks like everything is there but none of it is running. I'm hoping this is an easy thing to fix?

Please let me know if there is any further information I can provide and thank you in advance for your help!

• All you really need to do is reinstall Portainer from the sounds of it. This won't hurt anything, the new install will pick up your current docker containers (assuming you didn't do something to them as well). As long as you haven't customized ports, etc. for Portainer, just log into the OMV webUI, click on omv-extras and then the docker tab. Click the Portainer button and click "remove Portainer".. when it's done, click it again, and click Install Portainer (you might be able to just click Install from the beginning, but I'm not sure if it will error out if Portainer is currently running, but just not accessible). Then just go back to Portainer and create your username/password again, and all will be good.

When you go to the Portainer URL.. you might have a browser cache issue... most browsers just hold Cntrl and click Refresh to resolve this... then log in.

• Do you use the proxmox-kernel? If yes, portainer is not working under this kernel. I’ve installed on three different machines the proxmox kernel and couldn‘t get portainer to run. On the standard Debian kernel everything runs fine.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

Edited once, last by Huberer ().

• I'm still not sure exactly what happened but what ended up fixing it was either restarting or hitting Install again on Docker in OMV-Extras. Still not sure what I did to Docker to have whatever the issue was persist through a reboot. Oh well. I appreciate the help and am VERY glad all my containers weren't gone.

Thanks!

• But just to know. Which kernel do you use?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• I'm not really sure - whatever installs standard with OMV5 I guess?

In the shell run:

uname -a

Or login to the WebUI and read the System Information screen.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

RAID - Its ability to disappoint is inversely proportional to the user's understanding of it.

OMV 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• Thanks. It looks that you're using the proxmox kernel.
    I really don't understand why is portainer working on some users with proxmox kernel and on three systems of mine (2 real machines and one VM) not. Really, really curious .....

• Thanks. It looks that you're using the proxmox kernel.
    I really don't understand why is portainer working on some users with proxmox kernel and on three systems of mine (2 real machines and one VM) not. Really, really curious .....

I thought the proxmox kernels had pve in their names?

I'm running 5.4.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 too and Portainer works fine.

--

RAID - Its ability to disappoint is inversely proportional to the user's understanding of it.

OMV 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• I'm running 5.4.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 too and Portainer works fine.

Is this the proxmox kernel or did you install the kernel by hand?

• Is this the proxmox kernel or did you install the kernel by hand?

This is a backports kernel (bpo). They were made available if the backports repo was enabled on OMV4, but IIRC, more recently they are used as the default. I'm on OMV5.

--

• This is a backports kernel (bpo). They were made available if the backports repo was enabled on OMV4, but IIRC, more recently they are used as the default. I'm on OMV5.

Thanks for the info. So the last hour I did a fresh installation and it looks like that I've overseen the backport option under OMV v5. I've enabled it and now I run the backport kernel v5.4. And, can you imagine, portainer runs fine. So, there's is something with the proxmox kernel which hinders the installation of portainer.
    So the problem is solved for me. Thanks again

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!