OMV on Thecus N5550 NAS

• So I just installed OMV on my Thecus N5550 NAS, using 2 USB sticks. One for installation media and the other for the OMV OS install.

I'm surprised to see how easy the process went from downloading the ISO to a fully functioning OMV setup on my NAS :) If anyone needs a hand in doing the same, let me know, but I'm sure most can figure out the basics:

1. Build the installation media USB stick from the downloaded ISO, with Balena Etcher.

2. Power down your N5550 through the web interface or by pressing the power button once. This will trigger the shutdown procedure.

3. Insert the installation media USB stick in a USB port on the back.

4. Insert the USB stick you want to install OMV on in the front. It's easy to use this port as you can't boot from it, so no USB boot priority issues.

5. Connect a monitor to HDMI and a keyboard to USB on the back.

6. Power up your N5550 and press F2 as soon as you see the prompt.

7. Set the installation media USB stick as first boot device in the BIOS. Press F10 to save and exit.

8. Restart the N5550. It will boot from USB if all is well.

9. Install OMV normally, see docs for details.

For me after install it didn't show the correct network interface configuration, so I had to look up the IP that was configured through DHCP. I did this by logging in as root with the password I configured during installation, then ran 'apt install net-tools' after which I could use the trusty ifconfig to see my nic config. Go there in your browser and finish setup.

As of now I only have some minor things to fix, maybe others have some tips how to fix these:

1. HDD leds don't work anymore. Raid access doesn't blink any of the leds that are present in each bay. These worked fine under the old 'ThecusOS'.

2. The system fan is spinning a bit too loud for my taste. Under ThecusOS this speed was dynamic, based on system temperature, and it would by default spin very slow after boot-up.

3. After installation 3 separate RAID volumes / filesystems were detected, md0(ext4, 11TB) with all my files, md10(swap) and md50(xfs,500MB). I think this last one is a special journal volume, but am not sure what to do with it. Do I need to integrate this back into the RAID configuration somehow?

• Figured out the fan control part. To be able to control the fan speed you need to:

1. Install the lm_sensors package and it's dependencies with apt install lm-sensors fancontrol

2. Append /etc/modules to include the required modules ny running the following commands:

echo "coretemp" >> /etc/modules

echo "it87 fix_pwm_polarity=1" >> /etc/modules

or do a sensors-detect to detect all available sensors and make the appropriate changes to /etc/modules for you

3. run /etc/init.d/kmod restart to load the modules

4. check your sensors by running sensors

5. run pwmconfig to configure the fan control file and define temperature thresholds. I set mine to 20 (min fan speed) and 65 (max fan speed).

More info about how this works at: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fan_speed_control

• Also got the md50 write-journal volume assigned again:

Check its status with mdadm --detail /dev/md50 and add disks if required.

Add it to the raid set with mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --readonly --add-journal /dev/md50

After this, the raid set should show a consistency policy 'journal'

To remove the write-journal and switch to resync:

Code
    mdadm --readonly /dev/md0
    mdadm --fail /dev/md0 /dev/loop0 (or whatever your journal device is)
    mdadm --remove /dev/md0 /dev/loop0
    echo resync > /sys/block/md0/md/consistency_policy
    echo active > /sys/block/md0/md/array_state
    mdadm --stop /dev/md0
    mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sd[bcdef]2
  • No not really. It was always maxing out my gigabit network with 5 disks in a raid 5 config.

I did it to be able to install other software on the box, as the Thecus OS was too outdated and proprietary.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why you did not use DOM, and use usb stick? How to create ISO file to dd-command and create bootable DOM with OMV?

I could be wrong as I dont have this device.. but from other threads.. the DOM is very small. Google is showing it is only 1gig, which will be way to small for OMV. This is for the 5500, but I'm guessing it wasn't much different for the 5550

https://www.tweaktown.com/revi…-Availability-and-Pricing

• Offizieller Beitrag

My existing RAID will lost? It is very important for me.

If you don't do anything stupid the RAID will not get lost. It will be auto detected during boot.

However, you need backup. Always.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My existing RAID will lost? It is very important for me.

Follow the general install instructions, and it should be fine. Disconnect the data drives, so that only your installer (presumably a flash drive) and your OS drive (apparently your DOM) are the only two drives connected. Install to the DOM, boot OMV, run all updates, shutdown, and connect your data drives. Unless it is some weird RAID that is unique to this device, it should be autodtected. But what was said above is 1000% accurate, RAID is not a backup, your data is not safe if it is only on a RAID.

What file system is the raid?

My question is, if you install to the DOM, can you go back to the stock OS at some point? I'm not very familiar with this device, but is that where the stock OS is stored? Thus why I suggested installing to a flash drive, then if for some reason you didn't like OMV, all you'd have to do is remove the flash drive, and you' be back to the stock Thecus OS.

• I'm planning to install OMV on my N5550. I've read this thread and I've some questsions:

1.) What is the minimal size of the DOM needed for OMV?

2.) Is there already a fix for the HDD leds under OMV?

3.) Has anybody upgraded the RAM of the N5550 with more than 4GB (i.e. 2x 4GB)?

4.) Is there a way to get the LCD display working?

Thanks for your help...

• Follow the general install instructions, and it should be fine. Disconnect the data drives, so that only your installer (presumably a flash drive) and your OS drive (apparently your DOM) are the only two drives connected. Install to the DOM, boot OMV, run all updates, shutdown, and connect your data drives. Unless it is some weird RAID that is unique to this device, it should be autodtected. But what was said above is 1000% accurate, RAID is not a backup, your data is not safe if it is only on a RAID.

What file system is the raid?

My question is, if you install to the DOM, can you go back to the stock OS at some point? I'm not very familiar with this device, but is that where the stock OS is stored? Thus why I suggested installing to a flash drive, then if for some reason you didn't like OMV, all you'd have to do is remove the flash drive, and you' be back to the stock Thecus OS.

I do step-by-step. But when i isert my disk to NAS i see these:

I msrk red color - my disk with my thecus striping RAID, but no RAID in RAID managment (((

• 1. Minimum 8Gb DOM

I use 16Gb DOM (see attach)

I've ordered now a Innodisk SATADOM-MV 3SE with 64GB. I hope it will fit in the N5550...

2. I dont know

There is a link for the status leds... (https://github.com/ipilcher/n5550). Who has experience with it?

3. Max vol RAM for this chipset is 4Gb, but i read forum OutkasM - 8Gb enable on 5550

Are there any information which RAM is suggested to use? Can you provide a link for that?

4. LCD display not working

I've found this link (https://github.com/jncronin/pymonitor). Has anybody already tried it with the N5550?

I need to wait until I receive the SATADOM to test it. Perhaps anybody will try it now and let me now the result. :)

• Hi guys I need help am new to this ,

But i have a challenge lost mu password of my old nas .... no idea how to reset it. i uses to have a usb to do the job used ..

So it would be to bad to scarp it as it if a fine machine so reading the above i would love to upgrade it OMV as this is not so out dated as the Thecus OS.

so if any one can help me how to do it and what i need please i am all ears .

Also i was thinking changing the 5x1 terra HDD for 5x1 terra SSD ... this should be possible correct?

thanks in advance :)

• Hi. chroot is enable for thecus os5/os7 x64

if you need this module - tell me.

I decided to stay on Thecus OS7 firmware. All required components have been released for this firmware. Such as: HomeAssistant, Nextcloud, InfluxDB, Grafana. I decided to abandon the alternative OMV firmware

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!