nfs causes server to reboot after upgrade

• I use SMB for my Android devices. And NFS between my OMV servers and between OMV servers and Ubuntu Clients.

The NFS shares are all created in OMV, but I mount all the NFS shares in the network, on all the Linux clients and servers, using autofs and on my Ubuntu MATE laptop I also cache NFS using fscache and 128GB NVMe storage.

Works fine.

My issue is less erratic and would randomly do it from a period of time so far it's been a few days with NFS turned off and the raspberry pis using SMB instead but so far no random reboots.

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• Hi,

Thx for sharing this thread, as it seems to be clearly the same issue, linked with nfs.

Unfortunately I will not be able to perform any additional tests during the next 2 weeks (and I even don't know how to revert to previous os...), but the os upgrade could be definitely a good explanation.

How can we raise this issue, so it can be investigated by our omv gurus and debian os masters?

OMV5 64bits - Intel i5-7400

4 * 2TB Hdd Raid 5 + 1 SSD 128Go

• I use SMB for my Android devices. And NFS between my OMV servers and between OMV servers and Ubuntu Clients.

The NFS shares are all created in OMV, but I mount all the NFS shares in the network, on all the Linux clients and servers, using autofs and on my Ubuntu MATE laptop I also cache NFS using fscache and 128GB NVMe storage.

Works fine.

Hi Adoby,

I guess that running autofs may hide the issue we are reporting here: nfs mounts can be handled slightly differently than with fstab, and if you didn't use your nfs mount just before reboot, your shares will not have to be handled during the client reboot because they already unmounted.

Just my thoughts...

PS: that's anyway good practice to use autofs and I will deploy it on my clients:thumbup:

• Same for me, no more reboot: this is clearly caused by nfs.

On my side, I've kept NFS enabled but I'm not mounting any shares: it implies the issue is coming from the mounting process.

Now the question is 'how can we move forward to get this investigated by Debian??'

• Same for me, no more reboot: this is clearly caused by nfs.

On my side, I've kept NFS enabled but I'm not mounting any shares: it implies the issue is coming from the mounting process.

Now the question is 'how can we move forward to get this investigated by Debian??'

Have you attempted what that other thread states about changing the kernal to the older version and seeing if you can then use NFS?

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Have you attempted what that other thread states about changing the kernal to the older version and seeing if you can then use NFS?

I'm not at home during 2 weeks, so cannot perform any test for the time being. Did you on your side?

If you did, may you please share with me how to change to older kernel and I'll be pleased to do some testing.

• I'm not at home during 2 weeks, so cannot perform any test for the time being. Did you on your side?

If you did, may you please share with me how to change to older kernel and I'll be pleased to do some testing.

no as i switched everything over to SMB and the time it took to rescan the DBs on the pis is making me hold off switching again.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• I'm not at home during 2 weeks, so cannot perform any test for the time being. Did you on your side?

I was having the same issue. Connecting to NFS shares on OMV caused the OMV NAS to reboot after a time.

Changing the kernel from 5.6.0.0 to 5.5.0.0 fixed it for me too.:)

• Having just run the latest OMV updates, I notice that kernel Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 is now available.

I've switched to that and so far so good. No reboots yet.

Might be worth a try.

• Hi All,

This reboot behaviour was really annoying... Like another user, I did a some tests on hardware (memory with memtester, badblocks/disks with bbf) and found nothing. My main suspicion was mergerfs/samba since these are my main share volumes, and stopping those shares seems to solve the problem. I also have a nfs share which I didnt bothered to migrate. After I re-enabled the samba shares the reboots started again, but my results may be misleading since i also stopped/started some containers which uses that nfs share on another machine. I will try the 5.7.0 kernel now... hope it fixes it.

• zevleu

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • I confirm also on my side, no more erratic reboot with the latest kernel (5.7).

I guess we can now close this thread, as this is hopefully fixed :)

Guess I'll have to switch my pis back to NFS then lol

OMV 5 - 64 bit

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!