Missing file system

• Please bare with my technical knowledge. I have recently installed OMV on virtualbox. Everything went smoothly. Thereafter, I guess I changed the user authorization via ACL and now the status of my drive show missing. Myfirst question to how I can resolve this?

and second question is, can I retrieve the data from the system directly via SSH etc?

• thanks for fast response.

Yes, the drive is still shown in storage.

The second part of your question, I dont understand, therefore attaching the screenshot. sorry for that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, i did it. I have rebooted it from Gui and also directly but with no success

Then that would suggest the file system or the virtual drive is corrupted, the usual way to repair this is to use fsck, will that work in this case I don't know never had to do it.

So the norm would be to ssh into OMV and run fsck /dev/sdb sdb being the drive that is missing a file system.

There is also a way to clone a virtual disk in VB, but again I've not had to do it, that ensures that there is a backup.

• Then that would suggest the file system or the virtual drive is corrupted, the usual way to repair this is to use fsck, will that work in this case I don't know never had to do it.

So the norm would be to ssh into OMV and run fsck /dev/sdb sdb being the drive that is missing a file system.

There is also a way to clone a virtual disk in VB, but again I've not had to do it, that ensures that there is a backup.

will try it later and paste the outcome here

• Then that would suggest the file system or the virtual drive is corrupted, the usual way to repair this is to use fsck, will that work in this case I don't know never had to do it.

fsck did not work. says possibly no existant device

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then it doesn't behave the same way, hm! learn't something, TBH the only option I can think of is to create another VM for OMV, just call it a different name, remove the vhd from the current OMV install and add it to the new.

If that doesn't work you can extract the img from the the vhd using 7zip, then I think you can mount the img in windows using Ext2Fsd, again this is guess work. Or post the problem in the VirtualBox forum, I only use my VB for testing never as an operating system.

Why have you installed OMV in VB on Windows, and you don't need a 32GB vdi for OMV.

• Then it doesn't behave the same way, hm! learn't something, TBH the only option I can think of is to create another VM for OMV, just call it a different name, remove the vhd from the current OMV install and add it to the new.

If that doesn't work you can extract the img from the the vhd using 7zip, then I think you can mount the img in windows using Ext2Fsd, again this is guess work. Or post the problem in the VirtualBox forum, I only use my VB for testing never as an operating system.

Why have you installed OMV in VB on Windows, and you don't need a 32GB vdi for OMV.

thanks for all support. I am just a beginner for OMV. I was testing it and it looks fine for few days. Instead of doing back I pushed some of the files directly to OMV and lost them. A good learning for newbie :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The idea of testing is good, it is a useful learning curve, but if I put files on the VM they are copies, never actual files that I might need.

The problem you have if you look at your first image the status says Missing I have tried this on my VM, but I have selected the drive then clicked Unmount on the menu, the device name remains the same and the status is Online. So in my case OMV detects the VHD, yours is Missing so OMV knows about it but can't locate it. That's why I suggested shutdown the current OMV, in VB remove that vhd that reports as missing, reinstall OMV giving it different name, then add the vhd that's causing you issues. Confusing, yes it is, part of the learning curve.

• Have you checked Update Management and installed all the updates

yes, i did that today again. I even did it manually on the system.

i tried to use the vhd on another box but it did not allowed to mount it with error that the current UUID is already in use

any idea what can be done

• The one that fsck fails on because you can't fsck a mounted drive.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!