Access for single folder tricky

• Hello,

I will start the thread in english and maybe it`s ok than I will switch to German.

I use my OMV 4.1.7 (Arrakis) NAS more than two or three years successful and I`m happy with OMV.

Now it`s necesarry to integrate the OMV more into the family area ;).

I will provide the kids and my wife a single folder on the NAS for exchange data`s or to store something else.

Actually I use the NAS for my VDR data storage (only a NUC is the base for the VDR in the living room) and for Backup of my Desktop PC, Pictures`s from the family and DLNA Server to provide music and video`s.

I add now the folders (s. attachment for short explanation) "/Familie/Kid1 + Kid2 + Wife" to the device "/data/home/...".

On the device /data (/dev/sdb) are in addtion some folders for the "pictures", "videos", and "tv" (Storage folder VDR)

The shared folders are connected by NFS to the Linux computers.

For example: On the computer for my soon Ilai I`ve provided the folder "/Familie/Ilai" by NFS.

Works fine and he should only access for the folder /Familie/Ilai + Malin + Martina" but he has also access for the folder above like /Daten/home/ ...

Sure, it`s one common device and one path.

I try to regulate the access by "Privilege" and "ACL" function.

I know ACL is tricky and the recommendation is to use only "Privilege" function. ACL is more for the professional user they know what there are doing ;)

Doesn`t matter what I`m setting with these both functions I feel the effect what I need is still missing.

It will be not successful to set the access for one user and only the restriction to his folder!

How I can arrange to get the single access per folder?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Google to find an online tutorial for how Linux file access rights works. And experiment until you understand it.If you don't understand it, you are unlikely to get it right...

Here is one example: https://www.guru99.com/file-permissions.html

Make sure UIDs are identical on both client and server, otherwise file access rights over NFS wont work correctly.

The easiest way to ensure that user-ids are correct is to create users in the exact same order on OMV and on each Linux client, directly after a fresh install. But it can be done afterwards as well. But messier. Google to find out how.

Also KISS! Instead of having many different access rights for every different user, try to find a good default that works for all. Use su or sudo to elevate access rights to root when needed.

• Hi,

I use a different way as you provide.

I create a new path and set with privileges the access for the new user e.g. Ilai.

Seems that works fine for me but doesn't matter: I will check your recommendation in addition.

Maybe I comeback with fresh questions.

THX

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!