Windows "forgetting" SMB shares from OMV 5

• Hi there,

first of all: THANK YOU for this wonderful OS. It is really a great NAS. I love it!!!

Everything is running fine here with a fresh OMV 5 install. My version is regularly updated, current version is:

5.5.12-1 (Usul)

The only thing that REALLY bothers me are reproducible SMB problems. They occur once I reboot a windows 10 machine - current version:
    Windows 10 Pro (64) version 1909 (Build 18363.1139)

Every time I reboot one of my WIndows machines, they start up with disconnected OMV 5 SMB shares. When this first occurred, I naturally assumed, Windows would be the culprit: I restarted the machines, reinstalled SMB 1 protocol, and tried a LOT of tweaks I found over the net.

Nothing helped.

At one point I thought: What about OMV 5? So I checked all info I could find and this lead me to flip the switch under SMB/CIFS that allows for the server to announce itself to Windows clients

(Sorry if this is not the proper English wording, I run OMV 5 in German)

This, unfortunately, did also not solve the problem.

In my desparation, I restarted OMV, even though I was able to log on via the browser and could see that all was running fine.

And I was surprised: The shares were visible in Windows after the OMV reboot.

Today, this happened again and I tried to find information about the way OMV is communicating its SMB shares . i found out that this is done via NetBios but could not find any preferences to adjust.

Then I tried one thing: I stopped the SMB server and restarted it manually.

The Windows shares popped up IMMEDIATELY.

So, I suspect something with the service announcing itself is not working in the way I would like the shares to behave.

Now, my questions are:

What is behind this?

Is there something I can do?

All I want is to make OMV behave like I need it: running quietly in the background, being present in the form of shared drives as soon I choose a shared drive.

Again: Thank you VERY much for OMV. Even more so if you can help me solve this very annoying problem.

• HI macom,

thanks for the swift answer. I just checked via Putty and it says "active (running)".

I cannot know now whether this was the case when the shares were not available somw hours ago when I restarted samba.

Is there any way to log this service in order to see if it stops at times?

Also: can I somehow periodically start this service in order to make sure it is running?

Is there any setting hidden somewhere in the gui or a plugin? If not: can I do this via commandline?

THX Again

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also: can I somehow periodically start this service in order to make sure it is running?

Yes you can, but I would first check if the service is not running, when you face the issue.

Then it is better to check if there is a reason why the service is not running.

• Thanks once again.

I just ran into the same problem, as I needed to restart the windows machine.

Now, I checked

systemctl status wsdd.service

It says, it is running since the day of my last post. Before the initial post, I had restarted the samba service which is why it is running since then, I guess

So: How can I find out what the problem is?

• So: what happens when the samba service is started: Does it also announce itself?

Does this happen periodically? Otherwise: How would info about network shares be updated?

Can something not work with this feature even though it is running?

• Offizieller Beitrag

A few questions to start:
    - Are you using an SBC or a X64 OMV server?
    - Did the SMB shares ever work correctly? If so, how long has this issue been a problem?

The only thing that REALLY bothers me are reproducible SMB problems. They occur once I reboot a windows 10 machine - current version:
    Windows 10 Pro (64) version 1909 (Build 18363.1139)

I'm running the same Win10 Pro, 64 bit with the same version and build, with OMV 5.5.14-1
    I can't replicate this issue using a workstation and rebooting, suspending, hybernating and coming up again. A Win10 laptop was tested as well.

I restarted the machines, reinstalled SMB 1 protocol

Enabling SMB1, in Win10, is not required. With the possible exception for the latest, unannounced MS updates to SMB, stock Win10 SMB protocol levels will work with OMV. I believe you may have old information on SMB1. The only reason to use SMB1, at this point in time, would be if a specific hardware peripheral required it (a small business with older imaging equipment, etc.) . The troubleshooting info you found and used to reinstall / enable SMB1 in Win10, is probably 1 to 2 (or several more) years old.

Things to check:
    - Run through the following to insure that you have network settings setup correctly. -> OMV and Win10

- In OMV, if you have APM or spin down set up for your spinning disks, remove it and let them spin. (Under Storage, Disks, Edit) *This might explain shares that suddenly repopulate when the SMB server is restarted.*
    - On your OMV server, check BIOS or UEFI for hardware power saving features and disable them if found.

Some advice:
    If / when your installation is working correctly, back up your OS. There are many ways to do this but it's dirt simple if booting from a USB drive. (Look at this -> Guide, under OS backup, for details and considerations such as when to update the backup OS copy.)

I believe your issue is something that's rare. Otherwise, the forum would be lighting up with user complaints. Note that, on a rare occasion, a software update goes south or installs incorrectly and can cause odd issues like this. This is one of the reasons why OS backup is important and can save users from headaches.

Why you say the issue is reproducible, that only means it's reproduce able on one installation - yours. Unfortunately, the only way to eliminate something truly odd and be absolutely certain, is to rebuild.

• Hi there,

Thanks a lot for the indepth answer, sorry for seeing this only now.

Are you using an SBC or a X64 OMV server?

I am not sure what you mean as I am anewbie when it comes to OMV.

I run OMV5.5.15-1

on a

Ryzen 3 3200G

Does that give you the information you need? If not, please let me know what to look for.

Did the SMB shares ever work correctly? If so, how long has this issue been a problem?

I suspect it was there from the start. It took a while for me to realize which a few things added to:

1) I do not restart my windows machine very often

2) I am sure that I did not explicity take note of this issue, a least 2 or 3 occurrences might have been chucked away by myself with a thought like "this system is new, I will find the proper settings soon".

Enabling SMB1, in Win10, is not required.

This is very useful info. THX. I never liked this idea, it is good to know this step is not needed.

Run through the following to insure that you have network settings setup correctly.

THX a LOT again. I am doing so now and need to reboot the machine. I will report back as soon as possible

• Ok, I had to reboot twice:

The machine was set to business network

After the reboot, my workgroup was set to default, I had to change it to my internal name which before was correctly set on both the Windows and the OMV 5 machine.

I am working my way through your excellent manual. I do not, however find the "Local master browser" option in my OMV settings. Was this from an earlier version? Or am I missing something?

What I also canniot find - this time in my Windows settings - is the "Homegroup connections" settings (last button on the image on page 5 in your manual)

Apart from that: I had to reconnect the drives ( I assume this is connected to the other network share setup). But now, EVERYTHING WORKS AS EXPECTED

:)

Hooray!!

Thanks A LOT once more for the expert guidance. Many, many times and highly appreciated!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks A LOT once more for the expert guidance.

When you said that, I looked behind me for the "expert". :)

I am working my way through your excellent manual. I do not, however find the "Local master browser" option in my OMV settings.

Thanks for mentioning that. I just fixed it. The LMB option was depreciated in OMV5.

And as an info note; Microsoft depreciated "Homegroups" as well. Few used them and those that did experience nothing but trouble. If your PC is up-to-date (not all are), all signs of HOMEGROUP would have been removed.
    **Edit**
    Second note - your Ryzen is considered to be X64 or 64bit. SBC's are Single Board Computers, such as a Raspberry PI.

• Although I have not had any trouble accessing my OMV5 shares via SMB from Windows machines, after a recent power outage (which reset my Billion router to factory defaults) I was unable to scan to OMV SMB shares direct from my Brother document scanner (ADS-1700W, which probably runs some sort of linux) until I added "domain master = yes" to the OMV SMB/CIFS Extra Options.

Checking systemctl status wsdd.service as above it reported wsdd.service started running from when I added that Domain Master option (I am not clear if this is merely reflect saving the option caused the Samba SMB daemon to restart, or if the option started the wsdd.service).

When I first set up the scanner, I was running OMV4 with the Local Master Browser checked in the SMB settings. It seems rather odd the scanner continued to find OMV for several months after upgrading to OMV5 before the power outage.

I am relieved after several weeks to finally have an important part of my business workflow working properly again.

Anyway, it appears not only Windows clients suffer from lack of SMB service advertisement.

KnobblySnail

OMV6 on Asrock E3C224D2I, Xeon E3-1230Lv3, 8Gb, WD Red 3Tb x3 zfs, 120GB Samsung EVO mSATA, CoolerMaster V550S, in a Fractal Design Node 304

• Offizieller Beitrag

It seems rather odd the scanner continued to find OMV for several months after upgrading to OMV5 before the power outage.

Out of curiosity, do you ever turn the scanner off? If the answer is no, your power is stable, and the server has a static IP address that was the same between OMV4 and OMV5, that might explain it.

With the following in mind:

I am relieved after several weeks to finally have an important part of my business workflow working properly again.

When we're talking about a business:
    Every administratively centralized and "configured" component of your LAN; your OMV server, your scanner, the router, etc., should be on an UPS. (Network switches are debatable. Unmanaged switches are drop in replacements.) I realize there is an expense involved in that but, when we're talking about small items that can't be consolidated with other loads, a -> small UPS will do the job. For the reason you've stated and many more, in a business operation, an UPS for critical components is a very good idea.

If business data is stored on the server, clients are another matter. However, since I'm conservative and would want to avoid a potential client rebuild in a business LAN, I would consider putting Clients on a UPS.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!