rsnapshot basic questions

• I am little confused about how rsnapshot works. I have some basic questions I hope someone can help me with.

* Does the rsnapshot used by OMV only use hard links?

* Do the rsnapshot snapshots take up addition disk space, at least for the initial snapshot? I see that my rsnapshot share is just as big as the sum of all the shares that I am using rsnapshot on.

* On on the systems there is normally a .snapshots directory in the directories that rsnapshot is backing up. Where is that in the OMV setup?

• Offizieller Beitrag

rsnapshot creates not the same type of snapshot as CoW filesystem like zfs or btrfs do.

Does the rsnapshot used by OMV only use hard links?

OMV is based on Debian. So the rsnapshot from Debian repo is used. And rsnapshot makes intensive use of hardlinks for unchanged files.

Do the rsnapshot snapshots take up addition disk space, at least for the initial snapshot? I see that my rsnapshot share is just as big as the sum of all the shares that I am using rsnapshot on.

Yes, the first snapshot created by rsnapshot has the same size as the original data. Then the second snapshot only uses additional space for the changed data.

On on the systems there is normally a .snapshots directory in the directories that rsnapshot is backing up. Where is that in the OMV setup?

When you setup a rsnapshot job with the plugin, you define a source and a destination. Both are shared folders you have to define first.

• Thanks Macom. That helps a lot.

Regarding the .snapshot folder. I guess my question was not clear, I had a typo in it. I have set up rsnapshot with a source and desitination directory. And I can see rsnapshot made a snapshot of my data in the destination directory.

I was just referring to other linux systems I work on like in school or at work, we have a .snapshot folder present inside our source directories. If we need to fetch something from the snapshot, then we go into that .snapshot folder and pull it (as noted in rsnapshot-HOWTO.en.pdf at https://github.com/rsnapshot/rsnapshot ) Is there a way to enable this feature in the rsnapshot in omv?

• Offizieller Beitrag

As I understand it, the .rsnapshot folder is just the destination folder for the snapshots.

Zitat
    ###########################
    # SNAPSHOT ROOT DIRECTORY #
    ###########################
    # All snapshots will be stored under this root directory.
    #

snapshot_root /.snapshots/

I guess you could do the same in OMV by creating a shared folder .rsnapshot. This assumes that rsnapshot ignores hidden folders.

Best to test it first with a small folder with only few files inside.

• Yes it must be a specially ro mount that is added for the .snapshot directory to appear in my school and work accounts. Nevertheless the underlying functionality is present in OMV's rsnapshot.

Thanks for the help!

• edogd

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!