[OMV-Extras] Neue Plugin-Philosophie unter OMV5 ?

• Servus,

ich bin gerade dabei, meinen neuen Server für die Migration von OMV4 auf OM5 vorzubereiten.

Dabei musste ich mit erstaunen feststellen, dass eine (relativ) einfache Portierung der Plugins nicht möglich ist, da wohl viele Plugins jetzt mittels Docker realisiert bzw. virtualisiert werden.

Meine Frage, ist das jetzt die neue Philosophie, so viel wie möglich zu dockern, oder warum werden Plugins wie Letsencrypt, Nginx, Plex und co. nicht mehr angeboten ?

Ich bin jetzt kein Docker Spezi, aber wird nicht durch so viele Dockervirtualisierungen der Betriebsaufwand, unter anderem für Updates erhöht ?

Ehrlich gesagt, bin ich gerade etwas überfordert und frustriert. Ich hatte mich damals gerade wegen diesen Plugins für OMV entschieden, da die Inbetriebnahme und das Betreiben ohne größeren Aufwand funktionierte.

Und ja, ich weiß.. OMV-Extras ist nicht OMV. Das soll keine Kritik an OMV sein. Ich wollte mich nur mal ausweinen. ;(

Gruß

Rubinho

• Meine Frage, ist das jetzt die neue Philosophie, so viel wie möglich zu dockern

Ja, exakt. Es liegt daran, dass die Hauptlast der Plugin-Pflege für die Portierung auf eine neue OMV-Version bei ryecoaaron liegt bzw. lag und er viele Plugins selbst nicht nutzt.

Da sich offensichtlich auch für die Pflege der Plugins selbst immer weniger Leute finden, wurde der Weg über die Docker-Images gewählt.

Zu dem Thema gibt´s hier im Forum noch diverse Threads, allerdings überwiegend auf Englisch.

Was die Aktualisierung der Docker-Images betrifft, geht das wohl mit Portainer / Cockpit relativ einfach. Genauers kann ich aber nicht berichten, denn mir steht da auch noch eine Lernkurve bevor, wenn ich mal von meinem OMV3 auf eine neuere Version umsteige.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was amazed to find that a (relatively) simple porting of the plugins is not possible, since many plugins are now implemented or virtualized using Docker.

It is not simple and very time consuming. I have explained many times why I didn't port some of the plugins, especially the plugins you mentioned.

letsencrypt - In order for this plugin to work, it needs up to date certbot packages. The Debian repo is not that up to date. Plus, certbot is a moving target that is difficult to keep the plugin working with. And wildcard certs that many seem to want are almost impossible to automate for the plugin.

nginx - Other than this plugin caused so many problems for many users and would break the OMV web interface itself, web sites should not share OMV's web server. This is much better done in docker.

Plex - I hate this plugin and stopped maintaining it early in the OMV 4.x days. It also should be in docker to keep its problems away from the host OS.

The downloader plugins were not ported to OMV 4.x let alone OMV 5.x. I don't use them and most had requirements for packages/versions not in the Debian repo. Docker also gives a little protection from the downloader program itself.

'm not a Docker speci now, but won't so many Docker virtualizations increase the operating costs, including updates?

No. You need to update the docker just as often as you have to update the package/plugin. And docker has very little overhead since it is not using emulation or virtualization.

To be honest, I'm a little overwhelmed and frustrated right now. At the time, I decided in favor of OMV precisely because of these plugins, as commissioning and operation worked without any major effort.

I'm glad that everyone expects me to spend a large amount of time maintaining plugins (that I don't use) to avoid themselves having to learn something new. If you just get to know docker, it is not harder than plugins.

And yes, I know .. OMV extras is not OMV. That shouldn't be a criticism of OMV. I just wanted to cry myself.

omv-extras is definitely not OMV. No one gets mad at Volker for making changes to OMV. People just get mad at me when I have no help....

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Actually, i was worrying exactly same way. I was afraid of Docker, because the unknown...

I did the migration, it costed some time, because i had to learn a lot of new stuff. But now i had seen it and tryed, i only can say: Yes, it is better and very easy to maintain.

And a small side effect: With the knowledge from this migration i had a lot of skills needed by building my Home Assistant server, which also uses Docker.

Now, with Docker, everything is easier to oversee and updates are very easy.

It's a good step in my eyes...

• @cabrio_leo Danke für die Info ;)

Ich werde jetzt wohl nicht mehr daran vorbeikommen mich mit Docker auseinandersetzen zu müssen.

I don't think I'll be able to avoid having to deal with Docker now.

@ryecoaaron Auch dir Danke für die Übersetzung in´s Englische.

Und nochwas, du brauchst dich nicht für jedes Plugin zu rechtfertigen.

Die Antwort: "Ich muss die scheiß Plugin´s größtenteils selbst supporten, was mir zu viel ist. Ich habe nur ein Leben" hätte mir vollkommen ausgereicht ;)

in english...

Thank you also for the translation into English.

And another thing, you don't need to justify yourself for every plugin.

The answer: "I have to support the crappy plugin's mostly myself, which is too much for me. I have only one life" would have been enough for me ;)

Grüße

Rubinho

• Offizieller Beitrag

Docker hat definitiv eine Lernkurve. Wenn man aber mal verstanden hat, wie es grob funktioniert, ist es relativ einfach. Und man läuft nicht Gefahr, sich sein System zu zerschießen.

Für Docker gibt es mindestens zwei GUI, die über omv-extras installiert werden können. Portainer und Yacht.

Das hier ist die beste EInführung in Portainer, die ich bisher gefunden habe:

https://codeopolis.com/posts/beginners-guide-to-portainer/

Auch gut, aber spezifisch für traefik:

https://site.gothtech.co.uk/ar…ainer-traefik-letsencrypt

Zudem gibt es einige Anleitungen im Guides Forum

Guides

Zusätzlich gibt es zahlreiche Videos von TDL:

Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

Bei den Videos muß man beachten, dass sich die älteren Videos auf OMV4 beziehen. Dafür gibt es / gab es ein docker-gui-plugin.

Die neueren Videos sind aber für OMV5 und Portainer.

Falls du noch gute Anleitungen findest, bitte posten ;)

• Just wanted to mention here, I'd you have any issues with Yacht, feel free to PM me. I'm not on super often but pop in every once and a while. I have a lot of stuff I'm working on so the next update will likely be after the new year.

I am working on getting a good base template to include with the OMV distribution as well as seeing what I can do as far as allowing distributers to more easily customize yacht with default template variables, default templates, etc.

Docker definitely has a learning curve but it will make things much easier in the long run and will keep programs from messing with your host OS if they have an issue.

Author of Yacht

If you need help with it feel free to pm me here or on my discord.

DiscordDocker Hub Pulls

• Hello @all

Brief Interim Status.

Docker is running .... check

Portainer is running... check

Contianer Traefik including Letsencrypt and Wildcard certificate is running... check

Contianer Plex is running... check

Contianer TVheadend is running... Check

Contianer NginX (for phpvirtualbox) is running... Check

Virtualbox is running (native)... Check

Mailcow is running (VBox instance)... Check

UNMS and Unifi is running (VBox instance)... Check

My hardware was replaced, Core I7-3770 16Gb DDR OMV4 -> Core I3 10100 32Gb DDR OMV5.

And the most important runs again.

It took a while, but now I move more securely in the Docker universe :)

I still need to do some work on docker network configuration. But other than that, I'm already thinking about what else I can put in containers :)

Thanks to all for the mental support.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!