Error install Cockpit from OMV WebGUI

• Hello (sorry for my english, machine translation).

Help solve the problem...

Error installing Cockpit from WebGui OMV OMV 5.5.21-1

When installing Cockpit from the repository through SSH, the virtual machines feature is missing ...

OMV 5.5.21-1, reinstalled the system a day ago, set everything up except for the Cockpit (although everything worked earlier).

Docker, Portainer, Yacht installed ok.

How to install Cockpit via OMV WebGUI OMV?

• Did you search the forum?

RE: Docker GUI plugin now stable has the answer

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

Get the same error message when installing from omv-extras on a VM.

When installing Cockpit from the repository through SSH, the virtual machines feature is missing ...

Maybe you can install cockpit from CLI and then add the virtual machines module

apt-get install cockpit-machines virtinst

Edit: works for me

• Everything worked out. THANK YOU!!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

maybe cockpit-docker has to be removed from the plugin as it prevents cockpit from installing

That is what I said in the other thread about this. I was hoping people would mention whether they were using but no one did. I will remove it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

found this

Zitat

Drop cockpit-docker code

As announced half a year ago in Cockpit 215, cockpit-docker is deprecated in favor of cockpit-podman. None of the currently supported operating systems builds the cockpit-docker package any more, thus it was finally removed upstream as well. If you still use it on another distribution or from upstream builds, please migrate now, or build it from an older upstream release.

https://cockpit-project.org/blog/cockpit-228.html

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will it be removed from existing installations?

If someone clicks the remove cockpit button, it will probably be uninstalled because the main cockpit package is uninstalled. And after installing the latest cockpit packages, you cannot install cockpit-docker because it conflicts with cockpit-bridge.

Either way, I just uploaded omvextras 5.4.3 to the repo. The purpose of cockpit was for virtual machines and never really for docker. people will have to use portainer or yacht now (at least until Debian updates cockpit-docker).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• ryecoaaron perhaps you remember my prediction that docker will become irrelevant?

"Cockpit is a Red Hat sponsored free software project" and many Red Hat's employees are active in open source projects. They will drive this change forward, this is just the first occurrence of the strategy.

Note: many people user "docker" as a synonym for "container". My prediction is not applying to containers!

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Offizieller Beitrag

perhaps you remember my prediction that docker will become irrelevant?

No but I'm sure I said that a bold prediction. Red Hat doesn't control the container world at all. They are late to the container game as well. Even VMware's k8s offering (late to the game as well) is better than OpenShift. Most cloud containers are Ubuntu or Alpine. Docker (not talking about the company) isn't going anywhere any time soon because lots of people need containers on their desktop or dev servers. Kubernetes is still overkill for that and podman doesn't make it easy enough. That said, I might add the cockpit podman plugin once it is ready and in the buster-backports repo (if ever).

• ryecoaaron did you see "Note: many people user "docker" as a synonym for "container". My prediction is not applying to containers!"?

• Offizieller Beitrag

did you see "Note: many people user "docker" as a synonym for "container". My prediction is not applying to containers!"?

I did and that does not change my comment at all. Nowhere did I say they are the same. I use containers every day at home and work including kubernetes and docker. Name something easier than Docker to setup and use on a laptop or OMV system?

• podman doesn't make it easy enough. That said, I might add the cockpit podman plugin once it is ready

note sure to understand this part.

1) As I understand it, podman is a 1:1 command replacement to docker cli (in scripts replace "docker" with "podman" or set an alias and thats it)

2) re "when it's ready", what is missing?

• Offizieller Beitrag

1) As I understand it, podman is a 1:1 command replacement to docker cli (in scripts replace "docker" with "podman" or set an alias and thats it)

The commands to use it aren't always the only thing that makes it easy to use. When Red Hat does something, it is only for Red Hat with little care for the rest of Linux. Explain to me why podman is better if it is just a 1:1 replacement of docker? And docker-compose is very good. Last I read, podman-compose wasn't up to the docker-compose level.

re "when it's ready", what is missing?

Uh, just because it may be stable in the Red Hat world doesn't mean it is even close to ready in the Debian world. podman itself is in debian testing and cockpit-podman is in debian sid.

• stable in the Red Hat world doesn't mean it is even close to ready in the Debian world.

fair point

• podman-compose wasn't up to the docker-compose level.

correct, but is the difference relevant for OMV?

podman-compose will likely never be a 1:1 replacement due to a clear 'out -of scope' statement on https://github.com/containers/podman#out-of-scope.

Container orchestration via Docker Swarm will never be supported by podman.

The major cloud providers seem to have "standardized" on Kubernetes.

Out of scope

• Supporting docker-compose. We believe that Kubernetes is the defacto standard for composing Pods and for orchestrating containers, making Kubernetes YAML a defacto standard file format. Hence, Podman allows the creation and execution of Pods from a Kubernetes YAML file (see podman-play-kube). Podman can also generate Kubernetes YAML based on a container or Pod (see podman-generate-kube), which allows for an easy transition from a local development environment to a production Kubernetes cluster. If Kubernetes does not fit your requirements, there are other third-party tools that support the docker-compose format such as kompose and podman-compose that might be appropriate for your environment. This situation may change with the addition of the REST API.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

but is the difference relevant for OMV?

VERY relevant. LOTS of OMV users use compose files from command line, from portainer, and now from yacht. I use them a lot.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!