NFS client freezes

• Hi,

Just exploring the possibilities of OMV, i have an i3 2GB server with 3x 2TB in raid 5 and 2x 4 TB in raid 1, both with LVM on top. I want to use OMV as movie server. Movies are on the raid1. For playing the movies I use a ACryan hd mini 2 mediaplayer which can do both regular network share as NFS. I first tried with smb share on OMV, it worked but i got high wait I/O which freezes the movie. Dont know is causing the high wait I/O. Next tried NFS, linked the movie share and was able to login and select the movie on the mediaplayer. However after some time the movie freezes. This time I dont see high wait I/O. How to solve, investigate? Any help is appreciated.

-Frank

• With an i3 and direct access to the file you should not have any problems. Neither with SMB/CIFS nor with NFS.

What do you mean by Video freezes. Freezes your AC Ryan? Or just the Video? Does it provide a log?

I would investigate on the AC Ryan, and not on your OpenMediaVault.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi David,

Thx for replying. When using SMB/CIFS the video freezes for a moment, duration sometimes a few seconds, other times up to 60 seconds or longer. When it take too long the acryan will not response anymore. When using NFS the video freezes including the acryan which is non responsive. Plugging out the power of the acryan is the only way to reset.

Regarding SMB/CIFS before using OMV I cannot recall any problems. Never used NFS until now. Regarding acryan there is in fact little to configure.

-Frank

• Jump into theire Forums too and ask how to debug errors like that.

I would look for it on the Clientside rather than the Serverside.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Previously streaming from share using a centos distrib gave no problems, at least with the mediaplayer. The whole network is 1Gbit. Filesize is typically dvd size 5gb or higher when goning the blueray stuff. Tend to use .iso files.

-Frank

• Recently using another streaming device. Still have occasional high wait I/O which freezes playback of a movie for a few seconds.
    Could it be something to be solved by changing the IO scheduler or increasing IO buffer times? Some directions how to change these in order to experiment a little, are appreciated

• I just had a similar issue.

I have my HTPC stream Videos from OMV. In the scenario in question I was streaming a video with max 40mbs and simultaneously doing a file search in a larger directory structure over SMB. After like 10s the video and audio stopped and it only started playing after I stopped the search.

LAN connection is not the problem, I can copy 112mb/s from all of my clients, so it has to be an IO issue.
    Of corse the search is maxing out the RAID array but I would suspect that OMV "irons" that out to please both clients - is there a way to prioritize certain IPs IO wise?

Setup:
    Core i3 4150
    16GB RAM ECC
    ZFS raidz2 with 5x5TB WD red

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!