Can't get root access using SSH

• Just completed my setup of OMV 5 using raspberry pi. The getting started manual recommends updating flash memory plugin by editing /etc/fstab. I am unable to login through Putty as root user. I have tried all combinations of the passwords. In the OMV GUI I have two users set up the orginal PI and another that was suggested during setup. Both use the same password that I changed during setup. Neither this password or the default work for root as user.

• Offizieller Beitrag

updating flash memory plugin by editing /etc/fstab

This is optional. The plugin works quite well without that modification.

I think on RPi you need to enable root login first. In OMV in Services >> ssh.

Better solution is to create a user and add him to the ssh and the sudo group. Then you can login as this user and gain elevated privileges by adding "sudo" in front of the command you want to run.

• I already have two users set up both as you describe under better solution. Neither of these are able to run nano/etc/fstab

"I think on RPi you need to enable root login first. In OMV in Services >> ssh" How do you do this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I already have two users set up both as you describe under better solution. Neither of these are able to run nano/etc/fstab

Can you post an example using copy (from Putty) and paste (using the </> function of the forum).

sudo nano /etc/fstab

But do not mess with that file. As general advise: before editing any configuration file, make a backup up that file.

"I think on RPi you need to enable root login first. In OMV in Services >> ssh" How do you do this?

In the GUI of OMV: when you go to

Services >> SSH

you see a switch for "Permit root access". It shows you if it is on or off and you can also change it.

• macom

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Agricola

Hat das Label von OMV 0.5 auf OMV 5.x geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!