All flash NAS based on RockPi 4

• Hi all.

I have a current setup based on a D-Link NAS with double WD Red disks in a RAID1. It's noisy, bulky, slow and overdue for a replacement.

My current plan is to buy a Radxa RockPi 4A (I already have one, really nice little beast, not mentioning the M.2 nvme slot), equip it with a big SSD and installing Armbian and OMV on it. Just wanted some opinions on this setup.

1. I realize going from a RAID1 to one single disk will make the setup less reliable, but how much? I don't want to spend my nights sleepless worrying for my data. On the other hand, most of the data I have is stuff that could be re-downloaded from internet. I also have an offsite backup (an old Excito B3) which pulls the really important stuff (like all family photos) once a week.

2. I'm planning to use the M.2 slot on the RockPi and the disk I'm currently looking at is a Crucial P1 2TB, which is kinda affordable. Does that seem like a sensible choice? Or should the price tag ring any bells?

3. I have never used OMV before, but have much experience with Linux, Debian and Armbian. Have I understood things correctly that the big advantage with installing OMV on Armbian would be the nice web GUI? I'm trying to read up on what's included with OMV and most of it seems to be things that are already there in any Linux and in Armbian in particular.

/Daniel

• Crucial P1 2TB, which is kinda affordable. Does that seem like a sensible choice? Or should the price tag ring any bells?

Hi, for such a small capacity a 2.5 SATA HDD should be more than sufficient because there is no big performance gain from using SSD for data in NAS (see for reasons in the performance link in my signature)

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't want to spend my nights sleepless worrying for my data.

That is why you need backup. And raid is not backup. I would not sleep well just because I have raid. In fact I dropped my raid and use rsnapshot instead to have versioned backup.

My thoughts about... RAID

https://blog.storagecraft.com/5-reasons-raid-not-backup/

Have I understood things correctly that the big advantage with installing OMV on Armbian would be the nice web GUI?

OMV makes things easy. But it does not do anything that you couldn't do from CLI by installing and configuring packages.

• Hi, for such a small capacity a 2.5 SATA HDD should be more than sufficient because there is no big performance gain from using SSD for data in NAS (see for reasons in the performance link in my signature)

Well, in fact, the primary reasons I want SSD are noice level (my NAS is way too noicy), size (it's in a cupboard with limited space) and power consumption.

• That is why you need backup. And raid is not backup. I would not sleep well just because I have raid. In fact I dropped my raid and use rsnapshot instead to have versioned backup.

My thoughts about... RAID

https://blog.storagecraft.com/5-reasons-raid-not-backup/

OMV makes things easy. But it does not do anything that you couldn't do from CLI by installing and configuring packages.

Thanks! I realize raid is not backup, my thought when I bought this setup many years ago was that it would protect me from the case when a disk simply breaks. But I agree that it might not be justified.

But what are your thoughts on HDD vs SSD in respect to data reliability? Is there bigger or lesser risk of the disk breaking down and me losing my data (or at least needing to fetch it from backup) if I change from HDD to SSD?

• Offizieller Beitrag

But what are your thoughts on HDD vs SSD in respect to data reliability?

None, so far. I use ssd for laptop and OS drive on NAS and hdd for data due to better price/GB ratio.

This gives you an idea:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-reliable-are-ssds/

• Offizieller Beitrag

But what are your thoughts on HDD vs SSD in respect to data reliability

I agree with macom, the answer's none, you can buy and set up a brand new drive or ssd today and next week it could be dead, ok you get it replaced through an rma but that's it.

As to raid there is no protection, if a drive fails within a raid 1 hopefully you can recover the data from the known working drive, however, you add a new drive to replace the failed one only to have the rebuild fail part way through because the known working drive has failed.

• Well, in fact, the primary reasons I want SSD are noice level (my NAS is way too noicy), size (it's in a cupboard with limited space) and power consumption.

1) 2.5" HDDs are creating by far less noise and consume less energy than 3.5" HDDs

2) power down on idle addresses both issues

3) a proper system enclosure reduces noise further

=> a SSD for data is a waste of money (you should consider donating the price differences to an organization dealing with environment or health issues)

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• a SSD for data is a waste of money

Ok. I hear you. I guess that's a valid point...

So lets say I go for a 2.5" HDD instead (and then simply buy something like a Synology DS120j to put it in), which one should I buy? I would prefer a WD Red disk, but they don't seem to go over 1 TB in 2.5". Really don't want a Seagate Barracuda...

• Radxa RockPi 4A

I thought that was the plan but now

Synology DS120j to put it in

I'd suggest to read the "My NAS Build" section

• I have just built an OMV box with a RockPi 4 with the Penta Hat using 4x Toshiba 2TB 2.5" HDD's. From a sound perspective, it's very quiet I think the cooling fan is louder than the drives have been.

I think you should consider the Penta Hat to turn that M.2 slot into 5 SATA ports. You can then use any form factor disk you want. I love the Radxa 4x 2.5" case, but any 4 or 5 bay 3.5" drive enclosure can just plug into the Penta Hat.

https://shop.allnetchina.cn/co…ta-sata-hat-for-rock-pi-4

-Jim

~OMV 5 on RockPi4b (arm64) 4GB RAM with 64GB EMMC and Penta SATA Hat. MergeFS - SnapRaid - 4x 2TB 2.5" HDD, external 8TB 3.5" WD RED~

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!