New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• Firstly thanks for the plugin, great work.

Has anyone got clipboard mapping working with Spice? I've got a single Ubuntu guest VM, and while spice works, clipboard mapping does not. I've got the vda guest additions installed.

I tried RealVNC but it won't connect (protocol error). TightVNC connects but it has serious mouse issues and clipboard also doesn't work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any path or method for converting other format vm's to the OMV KVM plugin vm format? ie VirtualBox conversion to OMV KVM plugin vm format?

Yes. Use qemu-img convert to convert the virtualbox disk to qcow2. Create a new VM and select the converted disk. Maybe I will look at adding a utility to the plugin to help with this.

s there any special configuration required for getting the noVnc connection working correctly?

I didn't have to do any. I guess I don't understand why people are having issues with this. You can only have one connection to the vnc port whether it is with the novnc web viewer or any other client. I have connected hundreds of times and never had an issues. So, I'm not sure what needs to be fixed.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks STUKguy, great noob guide, helped me heaps.

Have you had any luck with getting a noVnc connection working?

You're welcome, I haven't had any luck but I will play about with it this weekend.

ryecoaaron, is it possible to get sound working on these VM's?

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• Offizieller Beitrag

is it possible to get sound working on these VM's?

I imagine so. I just didn't a sound device to the VM. What is the use case?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• I ended up restarting my OMV machine and I found this

I installed it and got this error message

It seems to have installed, should I be concerned about the error?

You are running OMV4? because i dont have any virtualization plugin, even a virtualization category in plugins...

• I imagine so. I just didn't a sound device to the VM. What is the use case?

A sound device would be good for me.

Use case 4 me is testing video / audio quality of a file prior to selection for viewing or downloading.

And again thanks for this wonderful plugin, it is soooooo good to get away from cockpit.

• I imagine so. I just didn't a sound device to the VM. What is the use case?

ryecoaaron Basically I'm want to use an old Android device to connect to a Android TV VM and use the features on the Android TV VM. Have worked out most of it but just not sure how to get the sound to work

• You are running OMV4? because i dont have any virtualization plugin, even a virtualization category in plugins...

4majkl i am running OMV5 I only had virtualization in the BIOs of my machine I turned that on and then installed the test repo and it worked great

• Offizieller Beitrag

5.0.11 released. Lots of new stuff - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…lob/main/debian/changelog

The arm provisioning from x86/amd64 works but remote console is a nightmare. Real graphics adapters aren't supported so I can't get vnc/spice to work with these. virtviewer isn't working either. I will keep working on it.

• Here is a forum i found which i think they have solved the issue around noVNC not working, if anyone figures it out please share with the group it will help others.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von STUKguy ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

do i need to reenable the testing repo?

Yep, I'm not putting it in the regular repo yet. It is basically the only plugin in the testing repo. So, no danger there.

Here is a forum i found which i think they have solved the issue around noVNC not working, if anyone figures it out please share with the group it will help others.

I don't see any fix in that forum that is relevant. The kvm plugin uses nothing from proxmox. Proxmox doesn't even use libvirt. kvm is the only thing they have in common.

I guess I really don't understand what isn't working on your systems. noVNC is working perfect on six systems I am testing this plugin on. It is just a container in docker. I would like to know the complete process of how you are trying to use it. Does a vnc viewer work?

• Hoping someone can help.

I know with other VM service you can get tools that help such as VM tools for VMware and so on.

Is there something for this?

There seems to be a gap on my V machine from where my mouse pointer physically (red circle) is and where it is in the VM(Black circle)

Also my internet will not work on it, When i create a Android VM or a Ubuntu VM they boot have internet access but not for a Windows VM.

• I would like to know the complete process of how you are trying to use it. Does a vnc viewer work?

Im not bothering with noVNC as i have VNC workig fine now, but i know some people on this thread are having problems with it.

The process i tried was to start the VM the go to "Console" and then "Create noVNC cosole", then enter "8081" when its asks me for a port. it will then creare a link which i go to and then it will have a connect button which i click on and thats where it ends for me i just get an error message of "Failed to connect to server"

I will remove me previous post so not to confuse others

• For those of you who updated systemd from backports, you'll need to add

systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=false to your kernel command line, as the buster libvirt doesn't play nice with cgroups v2

ryecoaaron and chance for that zfs backend support? libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-zfs is present in buster

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know with other VM service you can get tools that help such as VM tools for VMware and so on.

Is there something for this?

There seems to be a gap on my V machine from where my mouse pointer physically (red circle) is and where it is in the VM(Black circle)

qemu-guest-agent and other virtio drivers. This is what the download virtio iso is for on the Pools tab. It has all of the Windows drivers you need. This is not unique to the plugin but the same needs to be done proxmox. Just attach it your VM.

Also my internet will not work on it, When i create a Android VM or a Ubuntu VM they boot have internet access but not for a Windows VM.

What kind of network are you using for the VM\?

The process i tried was to start the VM the go to "Console" and then "Create noVNC cosole", then enter "8081" when its asks me for a port. it will then creare a link which i go to and then it will have a connect button which i click on and thats where it ends for me i just get an error message of "Failed to connect to server"

Do you have something else running on port 8081? How is docker setup? So many things can block the container. This is difficult to figure out why it is broken on some systems but not others. Guessing it is a DNS issue where docker can't resolve your hostname. I will see if localhost works in the code to avoid dns.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For those of you who updated systemd from backports, you'll need to add

systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=false to your kernel command line, as the buster libvirt doesn't play nice with cgroups v2

Interesting. I was actually going to look at pinning libvirt from backports since qemu* already is.

and chance for that zfs backend support? libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-zfs is present in buster

I don't use zfs. So, other than installing the package, what else is entailed? It is perfectly possible to add the package and edit xml now but I could look at small changes. I just dread zfs and the whole startup order problem.

** edit - I found some docs. I can add features to the pool creation process. What I don't want to do is automatically install the zfs driver since most people don't use zfs. The plugin will work with zfs but you will need to manually install the package (maybe I can add a button to do that).

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Interesting. I was actually going to look at pinning libvirt from backports since qemu* already is.

Unfortunately there's no libvirt* in buster-backports :(

I don't use zfs

I could swear you're the author of the zfs plugin :

I just dread zfs and the whole startup order problem

Huh? What startup problem?

I can add features to the pool creation process

Ok, so obviously I can't create a ZFS backed pool right now. But then when initially tested it, it would get very confused about trying to mount a qcow2 file. Since then you've added in raw disk support, and this works with the little nitpick that zvols get created with a .raw name ;) I think it'd be best if you could check what type the given pool is and if it's a zfs pool allow only raw, and allow a zfs type pool. That would make me happy. Being able to convert from qcow2 to a zfs-backed volume would be a pretty cherry on top

What I don't want to do is automatically install the zfs driver

Absolutely fine by me

• qemu-guest-agent and other virtio drivers. This is what the download virtio iso is for on the Pools tab. It has all of the Windows drivers you need. This is not unique to the plugin but the same needs to be done proxmox. Just attach it your VM.

What kind of network are you using for the VM\?

Do you have something else running on port 8081? How is docker setup? So many things can block the container. This is difficult to figure out why it is broken on some systems but not others. Guessing it is a DNS issue where docker can't resolve your hostname. I will see if localhost works in the code to avoid dns.

When i try and download the Virtio ISO it justs comes up with Error

As for the network the same as the other i am using a Bridge from the Vitual network to the Physical network, i think this might be related to the mouse pointer issue im having and will resolve its self when i can install Virito.

There is nothing else on port 8081.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!