BananaPi pro Unstable OMV and slow transfer speeds

• Hi Guys, I can't imagine that nobody before experienced what I experience but still have not found a solution.

So I am using OMV for some years now, always with the following problems:

The system does not run unattended. Sometimes it works for 2 weeks, and sometimes i need to reboot the whole server with a brutal power cycle twice a day. No accessible shares and often no access to webgui or even SSH. This has plagued me since the beginning, probably since V3 or V4. I have used several SD cards. The one i used in the latest installation is all good according to H2testw. (Sandisk 16GB class 10). I freshly installed the latest version last week, verified the checksum and updated/upgraded all. No further plugins of dockers. I used to have SSL with certbot, but since docker I could not get it to work anymore so i left it (what a configuration nightmare that is)

All to no avail, still the same problems. I even use a backup battery on the BANANA PI to provide the extra juice in case that was the problem. Also tried different power supplies.

Also, the performance on the samba shares is not what i expected. write speeds seldom exceed 7MB/sec on a HDD connected to the SATA port. The system itself is connected over a 1Gb LAN port sending to my laptop on a good and stable 5GHz WiFi accesspoint (even tried wired but same story)

I really like OMV, but I can't get rid of these problems since the beginning. There must be something i am missing.. but what?

My Unix skills are very errrr... ctrl-C ctrl-V-ish like... so please be gentle and point me to the exact locations and steps for information about logs and system settings/tools.

I hope you guys can finally give me the OMV experience that it normally has to have.. otherwise nobody would use it i guess :)

Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe the hardware is faulty?

Or try another image. Are you using armbian with kernel 5.10.y?

Regarding smb: there are some threads with the smb/cifs sub-forum

See #5 here Solutions to common problems

and here is another one

RPi4 read/write performance for SMB shares

• Not really an improvement.. way below 10MB/sec read and write speeds. And still unstable operating system. Is there anyone using this setup here... or does it only seem to me a good solution to build me a simple NAS :S

• Hi Igorp, No not recently.. but as i said. I am trying since a year or 3 to get things working. I decided that i have to live with it.. but it keeps bugging me so i thought to give it a try here at the forum. I have tried different versions over time, every install the most recent one.

• Have you ruled out other components than the BananaPi during this long time?

Please tell us more about the network setup and components

I'd replace network components starting with cheapest first (i.e cable)

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• I have multiple connections tested during this time.

Even now i just tested another cable and ruled out 2 switches by connecting directly to the router (fritzbox)

I even installed this evening again the whole system on a fresh new 16GB SD... still the same, write speed max 5Mb read around 8Mb max.

I know there are tools to check the network speed independent from OMV... but all console based. Any help with that?

Should i try another Hard disk? I have connected a 320Gb small HDD on the SATA. powered separately.

• Did you compare the performance you get with the published statistics linked in my signature below?

There is not much information about the whole setup provided so far.

Without details (hardware model, software versions) I can't provide good advise.

For example fritzbox:

- model 7272, FRITZ!OS 6.87

PC using SMB Share from BananaPi connected via WiFi/WLAN 4

- Laptop xy, Windows 10 - 1909

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• I Use the Banana pi pro with a sandisk 16GB class 10 and a new Exeria UHS-I Class 10 U1 card, both same result

The latest OMV available for this board (5.6.2-1 (Usul)

linux 5.10.21-sunxi (armbian 21.02.3 buster minimal)

fritzbox 7490 7.21 and since a month 7590 7.25. Also both same problems

I have also used different cables and 2 switches... all the same

Acer laptop (2 models in the past years) windows 8 and a.t.m. 10 (1909) with wifi 2,4 and 5GHz, and also wired 1Gb.. same results..

• 320Gb small HDD on the SATA

A few more questions:

1) did you change the SATA cable already?

2) How did you make sure that the wired 1GB network link is used by the laptop?

3) Could you publish the results of running the benchmark application with the SMB configuration as published on the link in my signature?

• 1. I think I have... will try again in a moment

2. By switching off the Wifi and checking the leased IP address (fixed adres by DHCP)

3. I will do in a moment.................................. Maybe a stupid question... but how to use this program on my network drive? I cannot select the network drive... it is simply not visible.. i have downloaded the latest version of DiskMark (8.0.1) ZIP

Sorry found it... do not run as admin :saint:

results:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CrystalDiskMark 8.0.1 x64 (C) 2007-2021 hiyohiyo

Crystal Dew World: https://crystalmark.info/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]

* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

[Read]

SEQ 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 9.855 MB/s [ 9.4 IOPS] <788524.22 us>

SEQ 1MiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 10.696 MB/s [ 10.2 IOPS] < 96066.08 us>

RND 4KiB (Q= 32, T= 1): 2.951 MB/s [ 720.5 IOPS] < 43320.00 us>

RND 4KiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 0.806 MB/s [ 196.8 IOPS] < 5064.43 us>

[Write]

SEQ 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 3.774 MB/s [ 3.6 IOPS] <1748910.37 us>

SEQ 1MiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 20.341 MB/s [ 19.4 IOPS] < 50958.69 us>

RND 4KiB (Q= 32, T= 1): 3.006 MB/s [ 733.9 IOPS] < 43400.48 us>

RND 4KiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 0.776 MB/s [ 189.5 IOPS] < 5264.19 us>

Profile: Default

Test: 1 GiB (x5)

Mode:

Time: Measure 5 sec / Interval 5 sec

Date: 2021/04/01 19:46:54

by the way... i just had to hard reset the board again because it was unreachable (smb share, SSH webgui)

Thank you

• What power supply are you using (best would be a picture from the label with technical specs)?

Others reported stability issues due to power supply (ie RE: BPI-M1 Randomly Crashes )

• Good point. I have also 3 raspberry pi's running. in the past also with some problems. When changing the supply things went better.

A picture included of the supply i use to power both the disk and the board (separate connections so the disk is not powered trough the board)

As a test i just swapped the supply by a new phone charger. See how that works out.

• The company SL Power has a long listed of power supplies but they stopped selling this model with 5V and 3A.

Best experience is with original Raspbery Pi Foundation PSU, purchased via a specialized RPI shop (neither ebay nor AMAZON because faked "originals" have been sold there!)

What are the specs of the used phone charger?

• It is a Sony 3A fast charger. But the NAS still failed on me. The same SL power adapter is in use on my Pi 4 in combination with MotionEyeOS.

That system is quite stable though. I swapped the adapter from the Pi 4 to the NAS now. And powering the Pi 4 from the phone charger i mentioned. Lets see how that works out. I am also considering changing platforms... OMV on the PI4 (usb 3 to Sata) and the Banana Pi to build MotionEyeOS (if possible)

• OMV on the PI4 (usb 3 to Sata)

Sounds great, but pay attention to the chipset used in the usb sata bridge.

Certain JMicron chipsets have issues affecting OMV

see https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/876 and https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/896

some tested models are in forum posts

• I start off with the usb 2 sata adapters i have laying around. Just tried to install MotioneyeOS on the banana... it does'nt like it :( build for the m1 not the pro.. they do not differ much but can't get it booting.

Now trying to install OMV on the Pi4... will report back.

Is there any way to backup your complete configuration from OMV? Makes testing a lot faster and easier.

• "backup" in this context is misleading. I'm unaware of a working approach to achieve a hardware swap.

There is an open github issue for save and restore the OMV system settings.

Maybe its best to ask there.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!