GRUB Bootloader installation issues

• I've got a thin client (a Dell Wyse Z90D7 i believe) set up as a home NAS of sorts, And i've been wanting to upgrade it to OMV instead of the Ubuntu distro i've got running on it now.

But unfortunately it seems Debian's GRUB install doesn't really play well with my computer, No matter what i try everything goes smoothly up until the actual grub-install itself;

And since i'm kinda running out of options as far as the internet goes, I decided i'd ask here as a bit of a last resort before i cut my losses.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Solutions attempted so far:

Swapping installer USB drives

Redownloading the OMV ISO

Installing to a SATA drive instead of a USB drive

Attempted a Debian net install (same GRUB issue)

Attempted following a guide for this issue (linked below) but kept running into "no such file or directory" errors on every step after the first

https://dcandy.wordpress.com/2…ls-to-install-bootloader/

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Are you installing with more than one disk connected? You should have two disks connected during install..

The installer

The Target (OS drive). The fact the error shows sdd, suggests you have multiple drives attached.

Complete the install, boot the first time, then shut down and add your data drives.

• and as a workarround, you can do the install on acomplety diferent machine tha do not have problems and boot from it on your NAS.

Only need to use option in omv-firstaid on first boot to configure your NIC for your NAS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

and as a workarround, you can do the install on acomplety diferent machine tha do not have problems and boot from it on your NAS.

Only need to use option in omv-firstaid on first boot to configure your NIC for your NAS.

snooperdooper

This could work as well... I'm not a fan of that route however.

OP, what problem did you run into when you tried to install over Debian? Really the Debian installer should have easily fixed this if you put the right disk in to install grub onto.

• snooperdooper

This could work as well... I'm not a fan of that route however.

OP, what problem did you run into when you tried to install over Debian? Really the Debian installer should have easily fixed this if you put the right disk in to install grub onto.

I'm certain it was the same error at the same stage of the install, While trying to install to a SATA drive.

And sorry i should've mentioned, it says sdd in the screenshot because i was aiming for a USB install.

The error persists regardless of if the target drive is SATA, USB, Or if the install USB and target drive are the only drives in the system (on the OMV installer, at least)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm certain it was the same error at the same stage of the install, While trying to install to a SATA drive.

And sorry i should've mentioned, it says sdd in the screenshot because i was aiming for a USB install.

The error persists regardless of if the target drive is SATA, USB, Or if the install USB and target drive are the only drives in the system (on the OMV installer, at least)

even if you're "aiming for a USB install"... the drives only list in order... so sda, sdb, etc. So that means you had at least 4 drives connected.

• even if you're "aiming for a USB install"... the drives only list in order... so sda, sdb, etc. So that means you had at least 4 drives connected.

Yes i did. But i've tried multiple installs before this with no drives other than the target drive and the USB installer. Which failed in the same way.

The workaround didn't end up working, Verified it working on the surrogate machine but on the Dell machine and with swapping the USB drive for a SATA drive it fails to boot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes i did. But i've tried multiple installs before this with no drives other than the target drive and the USB installer. Which failed in the same way.

The workaround didn't end up working, Verified it working on the surrogate machine but on the Dell machine and with swapping the USB drive for a SATA drive it fails to boot.

OK.. well, lets first start by following the install instructions, and disconnecting all drives from your machine except the installer, and the OS drive

In your case, I'd go w/ the Debian Mini installer since you seem to have a problem.

Go through the install process

When it comes time to install, choose to do a "Guided take over whole disk". If you've only got these two drives connected, it should offer to format a drive and show you what its set up will be (/swap and / sizes).

Before accepting, look on that page and see what the partition names are (if only two drives are hooked up, it should be sdb1, or sda1, etc.). Make note of this location, and accept the changes.

When it comes time to choose software to install, uncheck everything with the arrows/space bar except SSH and standard system utilities.. and continue with the install.

When you're done and it asks where to install Grub, reference the drive location earlier... if it was installing to (for example) /dev/sdb1, then choose to manually enter a location, and your location will be /dev/sdb same as if it were /dev/sda1, just manually enter /dev/sda

Accept and it should be fine. Reboot when done and remove the installer and Debian should boot.

Then just follow the instructions to install OMV on top of Debian via SSH.

• In your case, I'd go w/ the Debian Mini installer since you seem to have a problem.

I assumed you were talking about the Netinst since i couldn't find much about a Mini installer on the internet. Below i've attached photos of the installation (which failed). I did verify that GRUB was installing to sda.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you choose to manually install grub to /dev/sda ? Not sure what is going on there...Do to have achi enabled in the bios? Maybe try to disable that. Same with UEFI.. try to disable UEFI in favor of legacy if.that is an option.

And yes, I meant the netinst.. my bad. I confus it's naming with that Ubuntu, as it refers to it as a mini iso

• Hi snooperdooper,

I just finished probably 30 failure installation in a row and finally I finished one with good result. I have the same device Z90D7 and I tried different usb ports, different verions of OMV, different boot usb tools, IDE and AHCI modes and nothing was working.

Solution tested on OMV 4 and 6:

When You will receive error while grub installation (in my case on /dev/sda), then You need to detach installer usb stick and retry grub installation step, It will show error again, but when You will retry second time, it will detect that there is EFI in this device and It will try to install alternative grub workaround, this will end with failure as well, but now You need to hit ALT+F2, type:

chroot /target [enter]
    update-grub [enter]
    exit[enter]
    exit[enter]
    ALT+F1

now choose next install step (continue without bootloader), installation will finish successfully and omv will boot just fine. Cheers

• Hello snooperdooper,

I think, I solved it.

• For those having the same issue - I found out it was caused by my boot drive being plugged into sata 5 instead of sata 0. Other drive expansion cards were initing before it and breaking the order it seemed. plugging into sata 0 for the boot drive made this go away instantly

• Thanks a lot you saved my day! :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!