IMPROVEMENT: More flexible notification system

• I want to try to move away from email notifications, and I've just realised that there's no way to set up alternative notification systems WITHOUT email notifications.

I'd like to suggest that the notification system be re-imagined to allow the adding of a set of "profiles" which could be redirected to any service based on specific criteria (e.g. integrate something like https://github.com/caronc/apprise).

For example:

I want all messages to be sent to Slack on #channel1

I want WARN messages to be sent to Signal and Email (as well as Slack on #channel1)

I want DISK FULL messages to be sent to Slack on #channel2

I know there's the facility for adding scripts in /usr/share/openmediavault/notification/sink.d/ but this is somewhat technical.

Thanks!

Gabe

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • his is an open source project and contributions from the community are welcome.

OMV provides an interface since many years that allows users to inject other services

The current implementation has a severe limitation "it is possible to support additional notification systems beside email"

in other words: First email notifications have to be configured and must work before other notification can be added.

What is the likelihood of a change to get accepted that would drastically change this core system approach?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

The current implementation has a severe limitation "it is possible to support additional notification systems beside email"

in other words: First email notifications have to be configured and must work before other notification can be added.

What is the likelihood of a change to get accepted that would drastically change this core system approach?

As already mentioned, all services OMV is using (mdadm, monitd, ... mostly all userland apps) only know about email. Because of that, a local email service MUST run to retrieve that emails. The post processing of those collected emails depends on the implementation then. But without postfix it is not possible to fetch and post-process them.

• a local email service MUST run to retrieve that emails.

well, from my understanding a service that provides just an identical interface (providing sendmail command & API) has to run, not actually a local email service. Is this correct understanding?

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Offizieller Beitrag

well, from my understanding a service that provides just an identical interface (providing sendmail command & API) has to run, not actually a local email service. Is this correct understanding?

And how do you want to collect the notifications that are send by userland apps via an email interface to post-process them? I mean, if i understand your question correctly, you can implement a SMTP server yourself to collect them, but hey, i think this time can be used for more useful things.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Seems like you could use something like this and set OMV's smtp server to the container - https://github.com/KostyaEsmukov/smtp_to_telegram or https://github.com/YoRyan/mailrise

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Wouldn't a wrapper to sendmail work to retrieve all emails from any tool?

The wrapper's configuration would then decide what to do with provided information.

i.e.:

• email (just as today)
    • only post notification on any instant messaging tool that has a plugin
    • or email and post notification
    • or whatever someone cold come up with in the future (including pigeon carrier or https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2549)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wouldn't a wrapper to sendmail work to retrieve all emails from any tool?

You are re-implementing what apprise seems to do. If you can spin up a container that ingests emails and that only requires changing the smtp server on OMV, why not use that? Anything else is a lot of work with very few users and complicated the OMV web interface.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

IMO everything already exists in OMV; emails will be fetched with postfix, the interface to support other notifications services already exists. The only thing to do is that someone who wants to have this feature must provide a patch/PR that configures postfix that way to run and collect emails but do not forward them to an external email provider. There are also code changes necessary in the OMV notification configuration and UI, but if someone really needs that feature, everything is there. I could do it in theory, but i am absolutely not interested in wasting my private time for this feature. There are other things i'm more interested to see in OMV and i like to work on.

• but i am absolutely not interested in wasting my private time for this feature

that was my reason for asking

an answer wasn't provided yet

• Offizieller Beitrag

an answer wasn't provided yet

He said a PR must be provided. Hard to say whether it would be accepted until it exists. So, it is pointless to ponder if no one is going to create it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!