File system error

• I'm trying to add a few USB disks for raid storage. There are 5 in a USB nas and they all show up in disks but when I try to add them in file system I get "Error Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local etc."

• ?( Before you do anything the drives have to be wiped in Storage -> Disks, then create your raid from the cli, then add a file system to the raid array.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

• ?( Before you do anything the drives have to be wiped in Storage -> Disks, then create your raid from the cli, then add a file system to the raid array.

Tried that, I get "

Error #0:
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; dd if=/dev/zero of='/dev/sdc' bs=512 count=8192 seek=253879390750438 2>&1' with exit code '1': dd:
    error writing '/dev/sdc'
    : Input/output error etc."

• No, there's either an issue with the drive or the enclosure

Thanks. It looks like the drives are OK but the enclosure was causing problems. I have an Orico 5-bay USB NAS and the drives were a bit wobbly! They slot in vertically but are free standing so I have wedged them and that seems to have sorted it. I have 3x2TB and 2x1TB, what would be the best raid setup? How much space would I have out of 8TB?

• Thanks again for your help. Should I use raid 1 or 5

If you do Raid 5 from the 5 drives you will only get 4TB of space, if you set up 2 raids, 2x1TB as Raid 1 will give you 1TB of usable space, 3x2TB as Raid 5 will give you 4TB of usable space.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!