Problem with upgrade from 4 to 5

• Hi,

i tried to upgrade my system from Debian 9 to 10 and OMV 4 to 5.

The upgrade of Debian worked fine I think.

But the upgrade of OMV did not work.

I also needed to change from bintray to giuthub, because I did not do that before.

Bash: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public/ usul main
    deb https://openmediavault.github.io/packages/ usul main

This is the output I get when I try to install the updated version of omv:

$ sudo apt upgrade https://pastebin.com/zQHSeDAp

I guess here is the error that is causen this problem. But I do not know how this helps me.

sudo omv-salt stage run all https://pastebin.com/kZaTrjez

As it was asked in a few other posts:

Bash
    $ sudo grep mtu /etc/openmediavault/config.xml
    <mtu>0</mtu>
    <mtu>0</mtu>

apt-get install -f and reboots did not help.

I also did wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/upgrade4to5 | sudo bash.

I understand most upgrade issues are caused by plugins that had to be uninstalled before the update.

But I think I had no plugin installed that was incompatible with omv 5.

One thing I may have done wrong:

I first upgraded to Debian buster and then changed to the omv github repository.

Maybe I had to switch to the github repo before upgrading from Debian strech to buster?

I did restore my Debian 9 backup for now and try the upgrade again on monday.

These are the omv-packages I have installed on omv 4:

Bash
    $ sudo apt list | grep openmediavault | grep installiert
    WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.
    openmediavault/arrakis,arrakis,now 4.1.36-1 all [installiert]
    openmediavault-fail2ban/stretch,now 4.0.2 all [installiert]
    openmediavault-keyring/arrakis,arrakis,now 1.0 all [installiert]
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg/stretch,now 4.1.16 all [installiert]
    openmediavault-snapraid/stretch,now 3.7.7 all [installiert]
    openmediavault-unionfilesystems/stretch,now 4.0.2 all [installiert]

Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction so my next upgrade attempt will be successfull. ^^

Thanks

• crashtest

Approved the thread.
  • I did see that.

But only after I tried another guide.

So I might try this tomorrow.

But does this script update the OS, too?

I installed OMV on a normal Debian, so I thought I should update the OS separately befor updating OMV.

Should I try the update (OS and OMV) with only this script?

• But does this script update the OS, too?

yes

Should I try the update (OS and OMV) with only this script?

I would do so. Make sure to read the comments in the first post. Especially remove plugins that are not available in OMV5 and make sure the repo of omv-extras has been updated from bintray to github.

• So, my preperations (backup, correct repositories) are done.

These are the only plugins I have installed:

• snapraid 3.7.7
    • unionfilesystem 4.0.2
    • fail2ban 4.0.2
    • omvextrasorg 4.1.16

According to this list there wehre ported to OMV 5.

I will report after I tried the update script...

• I am running Debian Buster with OMV 5 now.

Had to manually unmount my mergerfs filesystem, but other than that the script did its job.

There are a few issues now I have to solve, but I think I am on the right track now.

Thanks

• cwempe

Added the Label resolved
  • Hi CWEMPE:

I am preparing to upgrade from OMV4 to 5 and I have similar setup as yours.

Using Snapraid + a single unionfilesystems drive created (pooled 3 data drives together), then a single shared folder sharing the root(/) of the unionfilesystem drive/mount. And just a single user created (group 'users') having r/w access to the shared folder.

I am still confused what I needed to do before I start my upgrade. I have already done the omvextra repo change and also make the change for the grub-pc/installed-devices so it points to my existing boot/system usb-stick.

Q1. You said you have to manually unmount your mergerfs file systems. What happened if I did not do that?? What errors would I get during the grade?? The upgrade will fail without doing that??

Q2. What exactly do I need to do regarding the mergerfs file system?? I need to delete it through the GUI first (union filesystems tab); then delete it from the (file systems tab)?? What about the shared folder do I need to delete it as well??

I have seen more than a few people asking related questions for upgrades but the main upgrade script thread did not mention anything about these requirement before upgrade for people using unionfilesystems/mergerfs drive/mount. If it is required to remove anything related before upgrade from OMV4 to OMV5 then I believe it needs to be documented clearly on how/whattodo somewhere so newbie like me can prepare for that. Really want to get a smooth upgrade without errors; much better to do the right prep before upgrade starts. Instead of doing the give it a go and if it craps out come back with a log for help approach.

Thanks for any comments from anyone. Appreciate the help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!