Can't set ACL on ZFS

• Hey guys. So, I'm trying to set up Transmission and ruTorrent, but I have some issues with folders. So I suspect permissions. But when I go to the ACL for that shared folder, and try to give the docker (or any user for that matter) Read/Write/Execute permissions, I get this error:

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; setfacl --remove-all -M '/tmp/setfaclGbP2HA' -- '/MainPool/Media/' 2>&1' with exit code '1': setfacl: /MainPool/Media/: Operation not supported

Then when I go to ZFS and Edit, I see this at the bottom:

http://prntscr.com/22b5xtj

Is it a good idea to change that 'off' setting to 'posixacl' at this point, since my whole system is set up? Will I lose data or have messed up attributes?

• OK. and what about this part of my question:

"Is it a good idea to change that 'off' setting to 'posixacl' at this point, since my whole system is set up? Will I lose data or have messed up attributes?"

?

• This configuration must be done when creating the pool. You can do it later, but it will only apply to files that are copied from then on.

Another cool feature that ZFS offers is compression. For this, the attribute to modify is:

compression = lz4

As before, it will only be applied to files after the parameter has been modified.

Clear your browser's cache.

• What I would do is create a new Filesystem with the required attributes and move the data there.

You can make these characteristics inheritable in the pool for each new filesystem.

• But how to do that without loosing my data? If I got to Storage->File Systems and click Create it asks me to select a device, one of my 3 hard drives (all in one ZFS pool). So, how to do it without loosing my data? I'm not worried about my movie collection, I still have it on a separate disk, but what about my OMV system, dockers, containers and all that stuff?

• OK, I will give it a shot. And I will not lose my OMV data (settings, dockers and stuff like that)?

EDIT: And 2 more things. Sorry, I really have to ask, I don't want to mess anything at this point.

On your last screenshot...this is where I edit my existing pool? And I do this BEFORE I add new filesystem?

And second...on many places online I've seen that it should be posixacl...are you sure it's posix?

• OK, I will give it a shot. And I will not lose my OMV data (settings, dockers and stuff like that)?

Sure, you will lose it, you will have to reconfigure everything.

Maybe you should have studied ZFS a bit more before using it. They are a few new concepts but you have to know them a little.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS_(sistema_de_archivos)

https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/index.html

• Darn it! :(

But in that case, why should I do this new filesystem creating? If I'm loosing everything, I will just delete this pool and create a new one. What do you think about that?

• You have already created the group. Just create a new Filsystem inside with another name, configure the ACL and compression attributes you need, or whatever you want, and copy the data from one to the other.

What you are going to lose is not the data, it is the shared folder settings, etc., the OMV personal settings. You can also change folder to folder where each service points, you will have to study the best way to do it.

• I actually set it up a long time ago and I already forgot all of this a bit. The best thing about ZFS is that you set it up and forget about it:), you no longer remember that you have a complex filesystem under the hood because it does everything by itself. Just be sure to set up email alerts. If there is a problem you will want to know it in time.

If you discover that I have something wrong with my setup or outdated let me know. ;)

I am looking for a manual that I read easy to understand and very illustrative, when I find it I will put the link.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!