VPN client with OMV + transmission

• I ran a VPN (client only) on my router (Linksys E4200) using Tomato (Shibby) for about a year with mixed results. I found it overheated the router which would freeze, particularly in summer. The issue with this was that you would have to restart it at source. . . . i.e. I had no remote access to restart it. The other benefit I found of shifting the VPN to my server has been that my download speeds doubled, I assume due to the additional grunt of the server over the router.

• Zitat von "scoobynz"

I ran a VPN (client only) on my router (Linksys E4200) using Tomato (Shibby) for about a year with mixed results. I found it overheated the router which would freeze, particularly in summer. The issue with this was that you would have to restart it at source. . . . i.e. I had no remote access to restart it. The other benefit I found of shifting the VPN to my server has been that my download speeds doubled, I assume due to the additional grunt of the server over the router.

I've got no overheating problems, but I only run a VPN server on the router. The client is running on the OMV box.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I added heatsinks and sometimes fans to all of my routers.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I am new to VPN and have just installed the OpenVPN AS plugin. May I ask how I could achieve bittorrent via VPN? It seems that I don't have the following scripts that you discussed above.

script1 (/usr/bin/vpn-config.sh)
    script2 (/etc/openvpn/up-vpn.sh)

• The plugins, OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN, are VPN servers. They are used to connect to your server, via encryption, when you are at a remote location. What you are looking for is a VPN client setup along with a VPN service provider that will give you random ips, that hide your true location, while using torrent programs.

• I'm running my VPN on a second router (RT-N66U w/Shibby Tomato). DHCP is disabled but I gave it a static IP and setup an OpenVPN client to my VPN. Then I just change whatever device I want to use the VPN to a static IP with the VPN router as the gateway (works wonders on my Xbox 360). Offloads all the VPN traffic work to another device and keeps my primary router happy and oblivious. Transmission works perfect.

If the VPN goes down it'll probably default to a standard connection, but if you're ambitious enough I'm sure the iptables on either OMV or the router could be manipulated to correct that.

Sometimes it's better to keep it simple, although I totally understand the need to bend the software to your will ;)

• Would someone here that has gotten this to work make a list of steps? I am becoming more lost every time I read through this thread.

I have general knowledge of CLI and Linux...

Also will the apt-get openvpn mess with the OPENVPN plugin???

thank you all in advance!!!!!!!!

• I would really like an OpenVPN client plugin...it would make life easier!!

• @themademan... You use the OpenVPNAS Plugin, not the OpenVPN Plugin. Therefore no conflict.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would really like an OpenVPN client plugin...it would make life easier!!

I'd actually like this as well... I only connect to a VPN for certain things.. so being able to easily enble it, then disable it when I'm done downloading.. would be pretty nice. It's one thing that keeps me from using the Transmission plugin more often. Now, I mostly use Deluge on my laptop, which I connect to my VPN, download whatever it is I want, then when complete, disconnect from the VPN to my normal connection.

• Dunno why you guys need a Client OpenVPN Plugin so urgent.

I mean, all you gotta do is install OpenVPN and supply it with your client.conf - done. Whats the effort with it?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Dunno why you guys need a Client OpenVPN Plugin so urgent.

I mean, all you gotta do is install OpenVPN and supply it with your client.conf - done. Whats the effort with it?

Greetings
    David

If that's the case.. .why use the webUI for much of anything? It's just typing a few commands.

• Yeah... for things where you have to setup dozends of things clearly a Plugin makes sense and it does too for a OpenVPN Client. But its not like that you have any trouble with a simple OpenVPN installation and supplying the client.conf which you mostly get from your VPN Provider or from your personal target OpenVPN Server.

Greetings
    David

• The OpenVPNAS, and OpenVPN, plugins are to setup a VPN server. This is good if you want to connect to your office or home network securely. The server will run at the location you want to connect to, be it your home or office. Then you follow the directions on the infro page to setup the client. The client is the software you put on the machine that is at a remote location which you want to connect to where the server is located. These plugins are good for secure remote connections to your server. You can also use them as a way to securely browse the web when you are at a wifi hotspot that is not trusted, say like McDonalds or something. You can connect, with say a laptop, to your home network. Once connected to your home network your browsing is done thru a vpn tunnel through your home network instead of via the internet connection that is insecure at McDonald's. I use this in Hotels that do not have secured wifi when I'm traveling.

Now there is another type of VPN service. A lot of people that do torrenting do not want people to know who they are. There are VPN service companies that provide you with client software. Then you connect to one of their servers and they give you a fake ip to mask where/who you really are. People downloading movies illegally do this a lot. These services you have to pay for and are many companies that do this.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tekkbebe ()

• One should add that those VPN Providers support you with Guides and pre-built configs. ;)

Greetings
    David

PS: I use OpenVPN as a Client on my NAS, too.

• Yes, and some are way better then others where Debian is concerned. So make sure the provider you go with has really good instructions for setting up the VPN client on Debian. If they do not go with someone that does.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One should add that those VPN Providers support you with Guides and pre-built configs. ;)

Greetings
    David

PS: I use OpenVPN as a Client on my NAS, too.

Setting it up for some services, isn't that difficult. Others.. it seems to be more difficult. It's not really a huge deal to me.. as I don't really download much where I feel I need to be protected by a proxy.. but.. I understand why some folks would want it as a plugin

• Private Tunnel is OpenVPN's version of a client service if you want to hide yourself while on the web. It is a pay service and it is not unlimited. If you get a pay service to hide your IP you should make sure it is unlimited.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Private Tunnel is OpenVPN's version of a client service if you want to hide yourself while on the web. It is a pay service and it is not unlimited. If you get a pay service to hide your IP you should make sure it is unlimited.

I should have said.. "protected by a proxy all the time..." I've had a unlimited pay service forever.. The logic of a "limited" pay service, makes little sense to me. If they aren't recording network traffic.. how do they know when you've reached your limit? I still don't download a whole bunch, but it keeps me from getting nastygrams from my ISP when I do.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!